Kimber Talk Forums banner

Safety Removal 84m

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  2sharp2 
#1 ·
I'm having a hard time removing the safety from my 84m. the bolt is broken down to the firing pin assembly but no further. I can see a retaining pin on the bottom of the safety but do not want to force it with a punch if that is not the right way to disassemble.

first i should probably back up and say why i want to take it apart. The safety is so stiff it is nearly unusable in its factory condition. the rifle was purchased new at cabelas and i had the barrel cut & threaded for a suppressor. when i contacted kimber they said they would fix the issue but had to put it back to factory specs on my dime. not really worth the $400 to rebarrel just to get the safety working.

so, back to my long story, i'm looking to polish up the detent and hopefully put the safety to a usable condition for field use.

any tips would be appreciated.

#2 ·
SB545, Welcome to the site from Tennessee.

When "Rick in Oregon" comes along he may have some tips for you.

Reactions: SB545
#3 ·
Don't know how much help this will be, but the Kimber 84M is basically a scaled-down pre-'64 Winchester M70 and disassembles exactly the same way.

You should be able to unscrew the entire FP assembly from the bolt body to access the safety. Chances are you'll need to smooth the safety camming surface somewhat to rid the gritty feel.

This is a simple fix for someone familiar with the M70, but a trip to your local smith may be in order instead of the arduous long trip to the factory and back, and if not mentioned to the Mothership in the future, will not affect your warranty as the fix will not be visually detectable.

HTH

#4 ·
Hey Rick, I read it as Kimber denied free warranty work due to OP having the barrel threaded for suppression and was trying to force him to purchase a new barrel before fixing safety. Which I understand there position but don't agree with it in this case. Last I checked Kimber sales a rifle or two that is threaded just not maybe the model OP bought.
Hope you gave him some insight.

#5 ·
Thank you for the replies.

It's really not all that gritty but it feels like a rather deep hole for the detent to crawl out of. The two things I could think of is either polishing down the detent or shaving down the exit from the deep hole. As it is now it's either a two-hand operation or really strong pinch between thumb and forefinger while using counter pressure against the stock.

Fwiw, the barrel was factory threaded but longer than I wanted and not a common thread pitch.

I'll give the pre 64 Winchester a look on YouTube. Thanks.

#6 ·
SB545, what caliber is your 84M?

I had the barrel of my .308 Longmaster Classic SS threaded and added a Quick mount.

Ooops, posted pic of the Kimber in 204 Ruger instead of the .308 but they look a lot alike. I guess I don't have a pic of the 308 with the can.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.