Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Micro 9 and two Micro Carry 380s. On all three, the safety has a tendency to disengage in my pocket about once every week or two. It makes me somewhat uneasy about carrying them cocked and locked. Any thoughts?.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
You need either a better holster, that wont allow that to happen, or you need to stop putting the loaded gun in your pocket.
It's not just jumping off safety by itself.
When carrying in a pocket, dont put your hand in there unless you are drawing the firearms.

Don't blow your balls off.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
They also do it with the various pocket holsters I've tried, and during purse carry.
What specific holsters do you recommend?

As an aside, my usual carry gun is a 12.5 oz 9mm titanium cylinder Airweight 637-2 J-frame. I feel safe pocket carrying it. I have somewhat limited handgun experience. I've been shooting them for a bit over seventy years, but have only been pocket carrying for a little over fifty. So far, all my dangly bits are intact, knock wood.

·
Registered
583 Posts
They also do it with the various pocket holsters I've tried, and during purse carry.

As an aside, my usual carry gun is a 12.5 oz 9mm titanium cylinder Airweight 637-2 J-frame. I feel safe pocket carrying it.
I carry mine in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster without any problems. If your safety is unlatching regardless of what you're carrying it in, then you may have some weakened spring issues.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've not had good results with the Nemesis.
Safety switches off.
Weak springs on all three Kimbers?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Well... You stated that the safety switches off regardless of method of carry. I carry my Micro 9 Rapide with an ambi safety in a Nemesis pocket holder without incident. Wife carries her Micro .380 in her purse holder without incident. If you're experiencing that kind of failure you need to rethink how you're carrying. Maybe a Kydex holster is a good choice for you.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts

As an aside, my usual carry gun is a 12.5 oz 9mm titanium cylinder Airweight 637-2 J-frame. I feel safe pocket carrying it. I have somewhat limited handgun experience. I've been shooting them for a bit over seventy years, but have only been pocket carrying for a little over fifty. So far, all my dangly bits are intact, knock wood.
Would you shove that J frame in your pocket with the hammer cocked?

Kydex pocket holster may remedy your problem but I agree, you may way to change your carry method.

The Micros are designed similar to a 1911 as far as where controls are located.

I carry a 1911 Ultra IWB every day.

There is no way in hell I would. shove that thing in my pocket in Condition 1.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
The problem is Micro safeties do NOT function/work like a slide lock safety on a typical 1911.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I have a Micro 9 and two Micro Carry 380s. On all three, the safety has a tendency to disengage in my pocket about once every week or two. It makes me somewhat uneasy about carrying them cocked and locked. Any thoughts?.
...have you called Kimber and spoken with one of their techs....

...I would try that as well...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone carry with Safety off without one in the chamber? I dont have a CCL yet but am not sure I would be comfortable with it cocked and locked with one in the chamber while carrying.

I would think you could draw, rack and pull the trigger in almost the same amount of timea as disengaging the safety and firing. At least you would reduce shooting yourself in the lower extremities and god forbid shooting your balls off. Again, I have no experience so my asking is more about curiosity.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I've not had good results with the Nemesis.
Safety switches off.
Weak springs on all three Kimbers?
I carry in an Alabama Pocket holster. It covers the safety and trigger guard with Kydex, and holds the pistol very well. It is also very easy to draw from, since it allows a good grip and a little "tab" to put your thumb on to assist the draw.
Alabama pocket holster

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"If you're experiencing that kind of failure you need to rethink how you're carrying".

I agree, which is why I asked the question. :)
I do NOT carry the Kimbers in Condition One, but on the other hand, racking the slide while drawing is slow and risky.
This is the main reason I've temporarily switched back to the J-frame for primary carry.
As an aside, I have no issues with carrying a true 1911 cocked and locked, due to trusting the grip safety.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Does anyone carry with Safety off without one in the chamber? I dont have a CCL yet but am not sure I would be comfortable with it cocked and locked with one in the chamber while carrying.

I would think you could draw, rack and pull the trigger in almost the same amount of timea as disengaging the safety and firing. At least you would reduce shooting yourself in the lower extremities and god forbid shooting your balls off. Again, I have no experience so my asking is more about curiosity.
Flipping the safety off methodically while drawing requires many hours of practice to make second nature. Leaving a round unchambered is a recipe for disaster. When the SHTF your fine motor skills take a hiatus so you'll want things to be simple and efficient.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Flipping the safety off methodically while drawing requires many hours of practice to make second nature. Leaving a round unchambered is a recipe for disaster. When the SHTF your fine motor skills take a hiatus so you'll want things to be simple and efficient.
If u are carrying u should have the confidence of carrying cocked & locked. In real life situation u will not have time to rack the slide. I have a Desantis super fly. I can stick that inside my waistband & it stays put. only Use it when I’m just going around the corner. The safest & most secure is a good holster. I just purchased a Sparks SS 2 IWB very comfortable stays flush against my body no issue drawing I can turn safety off as I draw and I’m ready to go bang.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
It makes me somewhat uneasy about carrying them cocked and locked. Any thoughts?.
Yeah, I'd be less than thrilled if the safety of my pistol kept switching off. My first thought is that gun isn't a good candidate for unholstered pocket carry. Second thought is that the Nemesis is barely a holster; check that the safety lever is 100% protected.

So... assuming that's all good, perhaps you could make the safety lever less prone to unintended movement. On some pistols, I've ground down and reshaped controls that sit higher than I like. Grinder, file, emery cloth. Another option is to preload the detent plunger spring a little more. You can take a piece of drill rod cut it to length, and stick it under the spring. More elegantly, you could ditch the detent plunger altogether and make a new one that's a bit longer. A Dremel tool should be the only tool needed for the job.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"My first thought is that gun isn't a good candidate for unholstered pocket carry".
Two different gun models, but yeah. Me too.
Another responder on this thread had good results with the Nemesis. I didn't.

Like you, I prefer preloading the safety spring.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Like was said before “Alabama Pocket Holster” problem solved. I have two one for my K6s and one for my Hellcat.
I’m pretty sure the holster covers the safety on the micro version. Planning on another one for my Micro 380.

Scratch that, just got done ordering one for the Micro 380.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 69 Posts