Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
"Like was said before “Alabama Pocket Holster” problem solved".

Does it cover and protect the safety?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
"Like was said before “Alabama Pocket Holster” problem solved".

Does it cover and protect the safety?
Only way to know for sure is call or email them. Even if it didn’t, it’s a solid Kydex holster and the gun can’t fire if the triggers not pulled! It has a Firing pin block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
So it's OK to carry the gun cocked and unlocked?
I carry with one in the chamber with thumb safety on. I don’t use the Alabama, I have a Desantis super fly which I use if I’m just going out around the corner. Otherwise I use a milt sparks Ss2 with a belt. That’s the most secure way to carry

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Technically it’s the same as a 5 pound pull Glock with the safety off. In a holster with the trigger completely covered the gun can NOT go off. The trigger must be pulled to defeat the firing pin safety. The safety being snicked off by accident on occasion would be a non issue for me.

Would you pocket carry a P365? No trigger safety and a 5 pound trigger pull with a pin safety. Same situation mechanically.

Don’t put your booger hook in the trigger and it will never discharge.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
That would not generally be recommended with a Micro or any of the clones. I'd absolutely see if there's an option that will allow for consistent, as in 100% reliable, condition 1 carry. Certainly Kimber would look the pistols over and confirm everything in spec that'd be my first move. You paid for a warranty, use it/them. There are secondary provisions with Glocks and other similar firearms (safe action triggers). In theory that makes them "safer"? Personally I'm not a fan but they're likely "safer" than a Micro in condition 0. That's asking for trouble.
I would highly recommend erring on the side of caution.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I wouldn't... there's no trigger safety.
There’s no trigger safety on a p365 either but their carried every day and the trigger pulls about the same. We are not talking about carrying it in an unlocked condition, we are talking about the safety being accidentally snicked off on occasion. If the safety isn’t stiff enough get it fixed but it’s not an unsafe condition. None of these guns will fire unless the trigger is pulled period. If it’s unaccessible (covered by a holster) no problems exist.

My question is HOW is the safety getting snicked off? Is the gun and holster the only thing in that pocket?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
There’s no trigger safety on a p365 either but their carried every day and the trigger pulls about the same. We are not talking about carrying it in an unlocked condition, we are talking about the safety being accidentally snicked off on occasion. If the safety isn’t stiff enough get it fixed but it’s not an unsafe condition. None of these guns will fire unless the trigger is pulled period. If it’s unaccessible (covered by a holster) no problems exist.

My question is HOW is the safety getting snicked off? Is the gun and holster the only thing in that pocket?

I think the danger comes from the safety being snicked off in a pocket.
Emphasis on "in a pocket".

This isnt a revolver with a 13lb trigger, and something in there is moving around enough to disengage the safety.
A fold of cloth in the trigger guard, or even an external poke could diversify the fuck out of your gender.

A good holster that covers the safety may be the way, but personally I wouldn't put a semi auto in my pocket.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I think the danger comes from the safety being snicked off in a pocket.
Emphasis on "in a pocket".

This isnt a revolver with a 13lb trigger, and something in there is moving around enough to disengage the safety.
A fold of cloth in the trigger guard, or even an external poke could diversify the fuck out of your gender.

A good holster that covers the safety may be the way, but personally I wouldn't put a semi auto in my pocket.
I guess you wouldn’t carry appendix either then. As long as the trigger is covered (I use Kydex only in the pocket and nothing else in that pocket) it’s as safe as your 13 pound pull revolver. If you stick it down the front of your pants your doing the same thing as pocket carry.

I guess being a machinist all my life I’m not quite as paranoid of the mechanics of the firing systems. All modern semi-autos have a block and spring blocking the firing pin that will not move unless the trigger pull moves it (in the case of Kimbers 1911’s the grip safety pushes it out of the way) as long as you have a solid covered trigger regardless of firing system it will not discharge.
Sig 320, 365, strikers. Micro’s Hammer. etc. same same.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I guess you wouldn’t carry appendix either then. As long as the trigger is covered (I use Kydex only in the pocket and nothing else in that pocket) it’s as safe as your 15 pound pull revolver. If you stick it down the front of your pants your doing the same thing as pocket carry.

Nope. I dont carry AWIB either.
I sit alot in a truck and it's uncomfortable.

And it's a loaded gun pointing at my helicopter.

·
Registered
583 Posts

I owned a P365 and I currently own a P365XL.. both have safeties. I won't own a striker fired firearm without a safety. I use the safety for administrative handling and holstering. Once safely holstered and the trigger and guard are covered the safety is switched off. That's my personal preference. The only firearms I carry without a safety are revolvers,
hammer fired DA and SA/DA pistols. Others advocate no safeties on their defensive firearms. To each their own.

I agree with finding the WHY on how the safeties are being actuated OFF on 3 separate firearms. Are pants pockets to tight and the material movement unchecked the safety? Are there other items in the pockets with the firearm's? Is the carrier bumping, rubbing up against something that causes the safeties to switch off? Need to look at every aspect as to how they are carried.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I owned a P365 and I currently own a P365XL.. both have safeties. I won't own a striker fired firearm without a safety. I use the safety for administrative handling and holstering. Once safely holstered and the trigger and guard are covered the safety is switched off. That's my personal preference. The only firearms I carry without a safety are revolvers,
hammer fired DA and SA/DA pistols. Others advocate no safeties on their defensive firearms. To each their own.

I agree with finding the WHY on how the safeties are being actuated OFF on 3 separate firearms. Are pants pockets to tight and the material movement unchecked the safety? Are there other items in the pockets with the firearm's? Is the carrier bumping, rubbing up against something that causes the safeties to switch off? Need to look at every aspect as to how they are carried.
Then you do carry with the safety off as you said. No difference than the safety being off while in the pocket holster.
If it’s on when holsterd, and placed in pocket and then it snicks off it’s the same as your carry now.

It’s up to the person how they want to carry and what they carry, but just because a safety clicks off doesn’t make the gun unsafe. As you said, you holster with the safety on then take it off. You now have a no safety p365 holstered and will fire if the triggers pulled. Seems that’s exactly like a Micro in the pocket in a holster with a safety that got turned off. Same same.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
"Is the gun and holster the only thing in that pocket?"

Yes.

I feel safe carrying my Browning 1911-380 in my pocket, but not the Kimbers. I also feel safe carrying my 9mm 637-2 though it doesn't have a 13 pound trigger - more like 3.5 pounds DA and 8oz SA (I normally shoot it SA).

·
Registered
583 Posts
@Albert.Cairns that is correct. Safety for administrative handling (loading and unloading) and for holstering. I carry AIWB in leather or Kydex.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
"I agree with finding the WHY on how the safeties are being actuated OFF on 3 separate firearms".

Well, it is obviously something I'm doing. The pocket contains only the pistols, and I'm not a noobie (wish I were - I'm pushing 80 all too hard 😀 ). Nor do I feel compelled to mess with the contents of the pocket. The easy solution is to just switch to a different and safer carry - which I have done.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
@JimCunn, why don't you just get a good (IWB or OWB) holster for the damn thing and stop carrying it in your fucking pocket??

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
@JimCunn, why don't you just get a good (IWB or OWB) holster for the damn thing and stop carrying it in your fucking pocket??
Cause I don't want to 😀
I have a good OWB, but it isn't really suitable for concealed carry.
I've not found a comfortable IWB. Pocket carry on the other hand, is quite comfortable - just not safe.

No sweat though - the J-frame is both safe and comfortable in pocket carry. So is my Browning 1911-380. I'm also getting curious about the 3" Ultra Carry II in .45 acp. May give one a whirl to see if I like it.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts