Kimber Talk Forums banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

Registered
Cause I don't want to 馃榾
I have a good OWB, but it isn't really suitable for concealed carry.
I've not found a comfortable IWB. Pocket carry on the other hand, is quite comfortable - just not safe.

No sweat though - the J-frame is both safe and comfortable in pocket carry. So is my Browning 1911-380. I'm also getting curious about the 3" Ultra Carry II in .45 acp. May give one a whirl to see if I like it.
Check THESE guys out. Well made holsters reasonably priced.

Registered
Cause I don't want to 馃榾
I have a good OWB, but it isn't really suitable for concealed carry.
I've not found a comfortable IWB. Pocket carry on the other hand, is quite comfortable - just not safe.

No sweat though - the J-frame is both safe and comfortable in pocket carry. So is my Browning 1911-380. I'm also getting curious about the 3" Ultra Carry II in .45 acp. May give one a whirl to see if I like it.
"Carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting not comfortable."
- Clint Smith

I carry a stainless Ultra Carry II in .45 every day.

For the love of god dont put an Ultra in your pocket.
That is just being dumb.
The Ultra is a 1911 with about a 5lb trigger.

Flip that safety off and you'll shoot your junk trying to draw it out of your pocket.

In a high stress situation, you will be fumbling around trying to draw.

There is no way having a 3 inch 1911 in your pocket is comfortable.
Buy a good holster and a real belt.

edited to add:
You also need to practice drawing and firing.
If you do, you will see how terribly combersome it is.

When in a bad sotuation, " People dont rise to the occasion, They fall back to their training"
- Clint Smith

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Being dumb is one of my major talents in life. Has been for almost 80 years now. I'm really good at dumb.

I agree about practicing draw and fire. In my younger days, my time to react, draw, and fire was right at 0.3 seconds. I'm slower now - my average reaction time has increased to 0.21-0.23 seconds, and time to draw hasn't improved either. A good practice for drawing that drops reaction time out of the equation is to hold your hand in front of you with a quarter resting on top of it. Then draw and bounce the quarter off the top of the gun barrel as the quarter falls. I've lost that ability as well. Quarter now bounces more forward than up. Que sera, sera - I'll live with the newfound slowness....

I'm not sure that I agree about coordination in a pinch. My Dad thwarted over a dozen armed robbery attempts by being faster than the perps, though one finally got him at age 86 on a day when he wasn't armed.

Comfort aside, do you like the Ultra Carry II ?

Registered
Being dumb is one of my major talents in life. Has been for almost 80 years now.

I agree about practicing draw and fire. In my younger days, my time to react, draw, and fire was right at 0.3 seconds. I'm slower now - my average reaction time has increased to 0.21-0.23 seconds, and time to draw hasn't improved either. A good practice for drawing that drops reaction time out of the equation is to hold your hand in front of you with a quarter resting on top of it. Then draw and bounce the quarter off the top of the gun barrel as the quarter falls. I've lost that ability as well..

I'm not sure that I agree about coordination in a pinch. My Dad thwarted over a dozen armed robbery attempts by being faster than the perps, though one finally got him at age 86 on a day when he wasn't armed.

Am I to understand you claim you can reach into your pocket, draw, flip safety, acquire target and fire in .3 seconds?
Under duress?
Eye Facial hair Happy Beard Fun

Unless your name is Jerry, Im sorry but I just dont believe that.

Registered
Only firearm I might consider using for pocket carry is something along the lines of a Ruger LCP.
Ironic that the recommendations for a Kydex holster for the Micro 9 are cropping up. A few weeks ago there was one posted here for sale. It was not very well received.
On those occasions I find myself toting a Micro 9, I鈥檓 using a Milt Sparks 55 BN or Rusty Sherrick adaptation of a Summer Special II. Both work well.
Shoe Handgun holster Bag Luggage and bags Everyday carry

Handgun holster Sleeve Wood Everyday carry Personal protective equipment

Registered
"cause you don't want to" there it is! Due to that statement this is a never ending debate. Members have offered endless help for your problem. But see meme.
Font Darkness Brand Event Electric blue

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
"Am I to understand you claim you can reach into your pocket, draw, flip safety, acquire target and fire in .3 seconds?".

Nope. That was OWB and SA (so no safety) and as I said earlier, I can no longer do it. Under duress, I got no clue. My Dad could. Did I inherit that ability? I dunno.

" Members have offered endless help for your problem".

Yup, and some of it was quite useful and much appreciated. Other parts not so much.

Registered
Sorry, when I read the title of this thread, I thought you were going to say the safety was too stiff. (I know, I know). I'm concerned mine is too stiff and I won't be able to click it off when I need it.

Registered
Only firearm I might consider using for pocket carry is something along the lines of a Ruger LCP.
Ironic that the recommendations for a Kydex holster for the Micro 9 are cropping up. A few weeks ago there was one posted here for sale. It was not very well received.
On those occasions I find myself toting a Micro 9, I鈥檓 using a Milt Sparks 55 BN or Rusty Sherrick adaptation of a Summer Special II. Both work well.
Guilty ...I was one of those that scorned that post... But we have discussed multiple reasons as to WHY the safeties are deactivated on this posters Micros. As much as Kydex may mar the finish on said firearms it seems like the only feasible solution.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Why would it matter if the finish is marred by use?
That said, though I like kydex and use it in my aircraft interiors, I don't particularly care for it in holsters.

Registered
Why would it matter if the finish is marred by use?
Because some people take care of their shit.

FYI, Kydex is a fancy brand name for PVC.

Registered
I guess you wouldn鈥檛 carry appendix either then. As long as the trigger is covered (I use Kydex only in the pocket and nothing else in that pocket) it鈥檚 as safe as your 13 pound pull revolver. If you stick it down the front of your pants your doing the same thing as pocket carry.

I guess being a machinist all my life I鈥檓 not quite as paranoid of the mechanics of the firing systems. All modern semi-autos have a block and spring blocking the firing pin that will not move unless the trigger pull moves it (in the case of Kimbers 1911鈥檚 the grip safety pushes it out of the way) as long as you have a solid covered trigger regardless of firing system it will not discharge.
Sig 320, 365, strikers. Micro鈥檚 Hammer. etc. same same.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the general belief if that the triggers on striker fired guns are by nature more user friendly. I know the latest offerings are getting in the 1911 realm but they are still "squishy". There's normally more travel and most have a trigger safety incorporated.
If we're comparing those to a Micro (or one of the other Star D descendants) remember there's not a 1911 grip safety to factor in. You're 100% correct that the trigger must be pulled to fire the pistol but you're not considering that its much easier to let the hammer drop vs release the striker. Condition 1 with a proper pocket holster a Micro and proper protocols is fine. A Micro in condition 0 essentially a revolver with the trigger cocked. Would you put that in your pocket or on your belt???

Registered
I pocket carry but do so knowing the limitations, most notably drawing while moving or sitting.

I pocket carry handguns that are hammer-fired, double-action triggers and w/o safeties, both revolver and semi-auto. LCP and 642. This configuration is safe, reliable and avoids manual safety issues as described by the OP.

On a side note (pardon the thread jack)... the best pocket carry holster for a J frame is Mika. Allows the gun to be easily be drawn, stays in the pocket and retains its original shape. Don't be surprised if you get a call from Mika to confirm your order and generally talk about your pocket carry.

I got this Mika back in 2013.

Human body Grey Automotive tire Wood Woolen

Cap Automotive tire Headgear Font Circle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
"FYI, Kydex is a fancy brand name for PVC".

Not a fancy name, just a brand name. I buy it in 48"脳96" sheets for use in aircraft interiors (I like the ivory with sharkskin surface texture). It's great for that. Due to personal preference, I'm not that fond of it for holsters, but it sure is easy to work with.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
" the best pocket carry holster for a J frame is Mika".

Thanks, I'm gonna get one of those.

Edit - price was reasonable too
2nd Edit - I also got one for the Micro 9 as well as the J-frame

Registered
"FYI, Kydex is a fancy brand name for PVC".

Not a fancy name, just a brand name. I buy it in 48"脳96" sheets for use in aircraft interiors (I like the ivory with sharkskin surface texture). It's great for that. Due to personal preference, I'm not that fond of it for holsters, but it sure is easy to work with.
I use Kydex along with leather holsters for my most all my firearms except my Kimber Micro 9 Rapide with minimal wear effects. I also bought a Kydex holster for it but after a couple insertions I noted perceptible wear on it. My Rapide and many others on this forum has finish issues. I sent my slide back and requested the standard silver finish. We shall see how that holds up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
"Because some people take care of their shit"

What's the best way to prevent holster wear? (I confess that holster wear doesn't actually bother me)

41 - 60 of 69 Posts