Kimber Talk Forums banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I think the general belief if that the triggers on striker fired guns are by nature more user friendly. I know the latest offerings are getting in the 1911 realm but they are still "squishy". There's normally more travel and most have a trigger safety incorporated.
If we're comparing those to a Micro (or one of the other Star D descendants) remember there's not a 1911 grip safety to factor in. You're 100% correct that the trigger must be pulled to fire the pistol but you're not considering that its much easier to let the hammer drop vs release the striker. Condition 1 with a proper pocket holster a Micro and proper protocols is fine. A Micro in condition 0 essentially a revolver with the trigger cocked. Would you put that in your pocket or on your belt???
Apples and oranges, no firing pin block on a revolver that’s cocked. As for striker vs hammer micro, no difference both are around a 5 to 6 pound pull. Takes the same amount of force to discharge. Same same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Apples and oranges, no firing pin block on a revolver that’s cocked. As for striker vs hammer micro, no difference both are around a 5 to 6 pound pull. Takes the same amount of force to discharge. Same same.

Many modern revolvers have a transfer bar type system that's dismissed when the trigger is pulled right? It's functionally accomplishing what a block safety does. They're both basically "drop" safety measures. In both cases you pull the SA trigger and the gun fires. You may say tomato and I could say tomato I guess but...
I'm not about to carry my Super Blackhawk cocked or my Micro in condition 0. It's my femorall artery and I'm not taking any chances with it 😬 You know very well condition 0 carry is not commonly advisable nor is carrying a cocked revolver and in both cases for good reason.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Many modern revolvers have a transfer bar type system that's dismissed when the trigger is pulled right? It's functionally accomplishing what a block safety does. They're both basically "drop" safety measures. In both cases you pull the SA trigger and the gun fires. You may say tomato and I could say tomato I guess but...
I'm not about to carry my Super Blackhawk cocked or my Micro in condition 0. It's my femorall artery and I'm not taking any chances with it You know very well condition 0 carry is not commonly advisable nor is carrying a cocked revolver and in both cases for good reason.
Again Apples and Oranges. When you cock the hammer the transfer bar comes up in place. The auto pin block is still in place. Better pick a better example than a revolver. Standard 365 and a micro, no difference.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Again Apples and Oranges. When you cock the hammer the transfer bar comes up in place. The auto pin block is still in place. Better pick a better example than a revolver. Standard 365 and a micro, no difference.

The transfer bar and firing pin block safeties are both basically "drop" safeties. They both essentially prevent the cartridge from being fired unless the trigger is pulled. They do operate differently, I understand the mechanics but they essentially do the same thing.
Speaking of examples and since you seem intent on continuing the discussion??? Can you go ahead and cite a source where carrying a 1911/Micro in "condition 0" or a revolver with the hammer cocked is advocated? I mean there's all manner of articles and training regimes where both those scenarios are specifically discouraged. They're fairly easy to find. I honestly don't recall ever seeing anything that contradicts the normally accepted protocols???

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
The transfer bar and firing pin block safeties are both basically "drop" safeties. They both essentially prevent the cartridge from being fired unless the trigger is pulled. They do operate differently, I understand the mechanics but they essentially do the same thing.
Speaking of examples and since you seem intent on continuing the discussion??? Can you go ahead and cite a source where carrying a 1911/Micro in "condition 0" or a revolver with the hammer cocked is advocated? I mean there's all manner of articles and training regimes where both those scenarios are specifically discouraged. They're fairly easy to find. I honestly don't recall ever seeing anything that contradicts the normally accepted protocols???
Don’t get your panties twisted I haven’t argued that point. Carrying in condition 0 is not advisable, but there’s a huge difference in a safety being snicked off by accident. It’s not unsafe. Do you need to use more caution, yes but no more than a standard 365 shoved into any holster you pick. Touch the trigger to hard on either one and your missing parts. The trigger poundage is basically identical on both small guns and neither has a trigger safe action only the one between your ears.

I’m arguing the point their the same regardless of being striker or hammer fire and its not that big a deal if the safety gets knocked off on occasion. If you practice safe handling skills and carry in a good holster. (remember there’s no such thing as an accidental discharge, it’s a negligent discharge) then you’ll be just fine, no need to panic. If there’s a problem with the safety itself get it fixed. But to say it’s unsafe? No more than the Sig.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Don’t get your panties twisted I haven’t argued that point. Carrying in condition 0 is not advisable, but there’s a huge difference in a safety being snicked off by accident. It’s not unsafe. Do you need to use more caution, yes but no more than a standard 365 shoved into any holster you pick. Touch the trigger to hard on either one and your missing parts. The trigger poundage is basically identical on both small guns and neither has a trigger safe action only the one between your ears.

I’m arguing the point their the same regardless of being striker or hammer fire and its not that big a deal if the safety gets knocked off on occasion. If you practice safe handling skills and carry in a good holster. (remember there’s no such thing as an accidental discharge, it’s a negligent discharge) then you’ll be just fine, no need to panic. If there’s a problem with the safety itself get it fixed. But to say it’s unsafe? No more than the Sig.

I'm glad you acknowledged carrying in condition 0 is inadvisable Albert. That was basically the original question asked in this thread so that's simple enough. Certainly if the safeties seem to consistently find it themselves "off" unintentionally on several different pistols it'd suggest there's a squirrel in proverbial the tree? After all the fact that this is happening regularly does kinda give cause for concern. At least that's the way I see it.
As far as the 365? If it is a true single action firearm, the striker being fully charged when the slide is in battery, a true 5# trigger and no safety? I'll pass on the little ba$tard.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
As far as I know the 365 is the same principle as the Springfield XD the trigger only releases the striker it doesn’t cock it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
" Certainly if the safeties seem to consistently find it themselves "off" unintentionally on several different pistols it'd suggest there's a squirrel in proverbial the tree?"

I wholeheartedly agree with that. Only my Kimbers are doing it, my three Brownings, my Tisas BR9, and my Remington don't. But I'm quite sure it is something I am doing, not a flaw in the Kimbers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Brown Liver Wood Leather Fashion accessory
Brown Food Sleeve Wood Fawn

I seldom pocket carry these days. If I do, the sidearm to be carried is usually my LCP Max. But…back when, this pocket rig by Sam Andrews saw a LOT of duty. Years later it still gets it done…rather well too 😉

61 - 69 of 69 Posts