Kimber Talk Forums banner

Safety worries

6K views 68 replies 15 participants last post by  Acmemfg 
#1 ·
I have a Micro 9 and two Micro Carry 380s. On all three, the safety has a tendency to disengage in my pocket about once every week or two. It makes me somewhat uneasy about carrying them cocked and locked. Any thoughts?.

#47 ·
"Am I to understand you claim you can reach into your pocket, draw, flip safety, acquire target and fire in .3 seconds?".

Nope. That was OWB and SA (so no safety) and as I said earlier, I can no longer do it. Under duress, I got no clue. My Dad could. Did I inherit that ability? I dunno.

" Members have offered endless help for your problem".

Yup, and some of it was quite useful and much appreciated. Other parts not so much.

#54 · (Edited)
I pocket carry but do so knowing the limitations, most notably drawing while moving or sitting.

I pocket carry handguns that are hammer-fired, double-action triggers and w/o safeties, both revolver and semi-auto. LCP and 642. This configuration is safe, reliable and avoids manual safety issues as described by the OP.

On a side note (pardon the thread jack)... the best pocket carry holster for a J frame is Mika. Allows the gun to be easily be drawn, stays in the pocket and retains its original shape. Don't be surprised if you get a call from Mika to confirm your order and generally talk about your pocket carry.

I got this Mika back in 2013.

Human body Grey Automotive tire Wood Woolen

Cap Automotive tire Headgear Font Circle

#55 ·
"FYI, Kydex is a fancy brand name for PVC".

Not a fancy name, just a brand name. I buy it in 48"×96" sheets for use in aircraft interiors (I like the ivory with sharkskin surface texture). It's great for that. Due to personal preference, I'm not that fond of it for holsters, but it sure is easy to work with.

#57 ·
I use Kydex along with leather holsters for my most all my firearms except my Kimber Micro 9 Rapide with minimal wear effects. I also bought a Kydex holster for it but after a couple insertions I noted perceptible wear on it. My Rapide and many others on this forum has finish issues. I sent my slide back and requested the standard silver finish. We shall see how that holds up.

#68 ·
" Certainly if the safeties seem to consistently find it themselves "off" unintentionally on several different pistols it'd suggest there's a squirrel in proverbial the tree?"

I wholeheartedly agree with that. Only my Kimbers are doing it, my three Brownings, my Tisas BR9, and my Remington don't. But I'm quite sure it is something I am doing, not a flaw in the Kimbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.