Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a scope recommendation for the 82 hornet I just purchased. This one comes without a scope and I want to buy something pretty nice. Not looking to spend more than 500 -600.

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
I bought a couple Vortex scopes, been happy with them.

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
It depends on what you intend to do with your new Hornet. All my Hornets wear Leupold's, as do all my rifles. My "Hornet pick" is usually the Leupold 4-12X AO 40mm. Able to mount low over the bore, good magnification for under 100 yards stuff, and plenty for 250 yard work on squirrels, PD's, etc. I use mine primarily for rock chucks here, and it's good out to just over 250 with this arrangement.

Your task will be finding a suitable mount system. Again, Leupold would be my first choice.

My Browning Low Wall in 22 K-Hornet wearing her Lupy 4-12X in the rat patch:

And my custom No.3 in 17 Ackley Hornet wearing the same model Lupy 4-12X:

Lots of choices for sure, this is what has worked for me for many years. Also the absolute best warranty in the business, plus custom shop options should you choose.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice Rick. That is what I was looking at is a Leupold. Somebody recommended their VX Freedom line 3-9X 33MM because it has a lower end. I am more going to use it for target shooting very little hunting if anything at all. I definitely am looking to shoot longer 100+ would I be better off with the 12x like you suggested.

also you bring up a great point what do I do for a mounting system of course Leupold doesn’t have kimber 82 on their sight when looking for a mount

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice Rick. That is what I was looking at is a Leupold. Somebody recommended their VX Freedom line 3-9X 33MM because it has the ability for targeting at the lower end 30 yards. I am more going to use it for target shooting very little hunting if anything at all. I definitely am looking to shoot longer 100+ would I be better off with the 12x like you suggested.

also you bring up a great point what do I do for a mounting system of course Leupold doesn’t have kimber 82 on their sight when looking for a mount

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Warne makes both bases and rings for the Kimber 82. Remember that Greg Warne and his dad were the original makers in Clackamas OR of the first Kimber rifles. To my knowledge, their bases/rings are the easiest to find for your application. They also work very well, the rings are split vertically as opposed to the rest of the makers that are split horizontally.

Also, I found over the years that on any sort of varmint rifle, Hornet on up, that a 3-9X just does NOT cut it, period. Been there. Even if only target shooting, you'll soon want more than 9X, I promise.
(All my CF rat rifles all wear Lupy 6.5-20X's)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again found the scope
Mounts on his site. Do you recommend medium or low rings

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Thanks again found the scope
Mounts on his site. Do you recommend medium or low rings
On your rifle with a Lupy 4-12X, most likely Low will work, but when you order from Warne, ask them if Low will clear the objective of the scope with the AO. With a standard weight barrel, that should work as opposed to a HB rig, but ask to make sure. Most experienced riflemen much prefer the scope to be mounted as low to the bore axis as possible, so my rifles all wear Low rings whenever possible. Once set up, you'll have a very nice rig there.

Just for illustration, here's one of my pet rat rifles, a Kimber 84M chambered in 204 Ruger on my bench with her Luepold VX-3 LR 6.5-20X in Low Leupold rings:

Good luck with the project, be sure to post pics when she's complete.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Rick, absolutely will post pics should be on its way to my FFL early next week.

I know you want the lowest possible just wasn’t sure if the rings would clear. I will be sure to ask them before I order

1 - 10 of 10 Posts