Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently picked up a Kimber Stainless II I love it, it is a gorgeous 1911. But there are extremely sharp edges at the bottom of the grip.
I added an Ed Brown Magwell & MSH which helped because it somewhat covers the sharp edges but it is still possible to feel the sharp corners when gripping the gun.
Has anyone else noticed this and have you done anything to fix?
Gadget Bumper Font Rectangle Machine

·
Registered
40 Posts
Were the edges that pronounced with the factory mainspring housing? If you want to keep the Ed Brown setup I'd use a jewelers file and stones to dress it down. Just go slow and do a good job. Remember that you can always take off metal, but you can't add it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Were the edges that pronounced with the factory mainspring housing? If you want to keep the Ed Brown setup I'd use a jewelers file and stones to dress it down. Just go slow and do a good job. Remember that you can always take off metal, but you can't add it.
^^^^^
What @Byrd said. I even use one of my wifes emery nail files to reduce sharp edges.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
@TortugusRex Welcome to the site from Tennessee.
I don't think his Stainless originally came with a magwell. I think it's something OP added.
Yes, noticed on some frames.
Fix: requires filing, blending and refinish.
Or maybe a different magwell, my favorite is the Stan Chen SI. A little expensive but worth it IMO.

Are you going to change the grips to a magwell cut?

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
378 Posts
Welcome from Oregon.. and yes.. every once in awhile you need to do some remodeling/tweaking
I run into the sharp G-10 grips..hit them with some sandpaper.. just a bit…like others said you can remove but you can’t add.. my new little Rapide had razor sharp front serrations

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
I had the same problem with a Wilson Combat MSH. Some need to be fitted. I used a file and cleaned it up. I only did enough so I didn’t feel the sharp edges. If I was going to refinish the frame I might have did a little more filing.

I tried a Nighthawk MSH/Magwell and didn’t have this problem. Never tried a Stan Chen but the look really nice and fit great from what I see.

You can see the file marks in this picture.
Bicycle part Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stan Chen SI Magwell fullsize.
Not the best picture angle for the conversation, but I have not found it necessary to file any edges after the installation.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Nice, Stan Chen SI is the magwell I would buy if I needed one. Does it cost more? YES. Is it worth it? I think so.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Yup, that magwell is the issue, not the gun.

Without the magwell and using factory mags, I'd guess those sharp edges would not be an issue. The original owner used a magwell that does not fit properly. As mentioned a Chen magwell would have been the correct solution. Get out the Swiss files, or splurge for a 'good' magwell from Stan and enjoy that pistol. You'll be glad you did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts