Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The most economical way to ship a gun. from what I read you can’t ship thru usps unless you are a licensed dealer. I will be shipping to a FFL dealer. Either FedEx or Ups Next day or priority overnight. If anyone has any info for the best way to ship a gun would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
What I do know is FedEx will pickup at your house and UPS a package (firearms) has to be dropped off at a hub. Around here it’s after 2-3pm. Of course this is if it’s going to a licensed dealer or manufacturer. Can’t ship a gun to any individual.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
If you have a good local gun store, ask them.
My LGS will ship a gun for me for $20+ shipping.
By the time I figure in time spent, USP or Fed Ex BS, its worth the extra $20 to let them handle it.
Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
...I have shipped several guns to Ffl's... ...I use UPS Next Day... ...FedEx has screwed up once for me...

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
My local gun shop said just send it ups ground don’t even mention it’s a gun. I am shipping it to a FFL.
Well now Paul, IMO crappy advice from your local gun shop cause it won't be "them" that's out the money when the parcel ends up "lost." Lost is code word for (stolen).

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well now Paul, IMO crappy advice from your local gun shop cause it won't be "them" that's out the money when the parcel ends up "lost." Lost is code word for (stolen).
If I insure it as an antique or whatever am I still covered assuming the package got lost? I prefer to be upfront, however I sold a gun on gun broker & my buyer is wanting me to ship it their way, god for bid something happens he’s out the $ not me. He’s sent me a postal money order.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My local gun shop said just send it ups ground don’t even mention it’s a gun. I am shipping it to a FFL.
Ups & FedEx will only ship overnight & the cost is $150 FedEx & $110 ups. My buyer wants me to ship it ground. Which means I can’t disclose what’s in the package. This is how my buyer wants me to ship it to his FFL. If it sideways he’s out the money . He sent me a postal money order. Should I refuse to do it? I have nothing to loose

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Ups & FedEx will only ship overnight & the cost is $150 FedEx & $110 ups. My buyer wants me to ship it ground. Which means I can’t disclose what’s in the package. This is how my buyer wants me to ship it to his FFL. If it sideways he’s out the money . He sent me a postal money order. Should I refuse to do it? I have nothing to loose
JC45 is right.
What the buyer is asking is illegal.
Fuck that.
Ship it per shipping company rules or just pay an FFL to ship it for you.
Shiny govt bracelets aren't comfortable.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JC45 is right.
What the buyer is asking is illegal.
Fuck that.
Ship it per shipping company rules or just pay an FFL to ship it for you.
Shiny govt bracelets aren't comfortable.
If the buyer says he is not willing to pay the difference can I kill the deal after with Gunbroker? Would I get penalized by GB? Do I tell them the situation. I know the buyer sent me a postal money order. What are your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Before I had a friendly LGS (who only charges me shipping), I used these folks...wasn't too expensive at that time. Not sure now. ShipMyGun

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
You have TROUBLE brewing my friend! You have a LOT to loose! IMO.
IMO, it is wrong for you to increase or change the shipping dollar amount after you find out how much it costs. I don't know the facts from your GunBroker add but it sounds like you didn't do your due diligence for this transaction. You should probably mail back the buyer's money order until you figure it all out.

If you don't ship your firearm "BY THE BOOK (RULES)" you are taking a BIG RISK! It's the FACT that it's a firearm your shipping not an antique or a motorcycle part. It's the DOLLAR VALUE of the parcel. What do you think will happen when UPS says: what was in the "lost" package? You reply: a antique. UPS: no we found a firearm in the package but not a antique.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
If the buyer says he is not willing to pay the difference can I kill the deal after with Gunbroker? Would I get penalized by GB? Do I tell them the situation. I know the buyer sent me a postal money order. What are your suggestions.
I would suggest contacting GB's help department before you panic. MANY sellers ship ground legally to the buyers FFL, it's not uncommon. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to do that and insure the package. I'm confident they will assist you in properly completing your transaction.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
UPS all Handguns must be shipped Air. Rifles can be shipped Ground.
If you had shipping included in your add on GB you are responsible for shipping that firearm regardless of how it has to ship

Always research the shipping costs before selling any item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would suggest contacting GB's help department before you panic. MANY sellers ship ground legally to the buyers FFL, it's not uncommon. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to do that and insure the package. I'm confident they will assist you in properly completing your transaction.
According to both FedEx & ups they only ship firearms next day overnight. It’s a bunch of bull, this way they get to charge extra for more profit, what’s the difference wether it gets there in one day or 3 or five. Either way it is going to the buyers FFL so there is nothing illegal on my end, its just a scam to make more profit. I called a few FFL dealers in my area. They all suggested if they ask what’s in box, just say machine parts. It is not a felony so long as it goes to a FFL it is just there policy. they are not federal agency’s & they are not allowed to open box. If you send thru post office then that would be another story because they are considered govt agency.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you had shipping included in your add on GB you are responsible for shipping that firearm regardless of how it has to ship

I did my due diligence & told my buyer the costs 160. For FedEx & 110. for ups next day overnight. That is when he told me he wanted to ground. I called hides FFL & he told me the same thing other FFL dealers told me here.. if I do it his way & something happens it’s his loss not mine, I ship get a tracking # . I’m going to sleep on it till I receive his money on Sat. & tell him just what I just mentioned

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
You have that backwards.

The Post office cant open mail without authorization (warrant, suspicious package, etc..)
UPS and Fed ex are courier services.
They can absolutely open your packages on a whim.

Reactions: 2sharp2

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

My listing says buyer is responsible for shipping if their choice

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
My listing says buyer is responsible for shipping if their choice
Federal law states you must notify the carrier that the shipment is a handgun or other firearm. You may go to jail if you don’t, I wouldn’t take that chance. Ship it UPS Air and have done with it. Buyer is just gonna have to live with the price. Not worth the risk to yourself.

FFL to FFL can ship any way they want UPS, FEDEX or USPS even ground.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts