Kimbertalk.com banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So took my brand new "special edition" Sapphire Kimber Micro .380 out to the range. Took a box of PMG 90 grain FMJ.

Pistol fired the first time, but that was about it. Total nightmare...sometimes would work rapid fire, sometimes not. Most of the time the slide wouldn't return to battery....sometimes by just a little, sometimes by a lot. Didn't seem to be able to feed the cartridge into the barrel either.

Gave up after 50 rounds. Just a horrible feeling to think how much money I spent on something that doesn't work out of the box....I mean REALLY REALLY doesn't work.

Stupid me, read all the wonderful articles in gun magazines about Kimber quality....fell for it, another sucker buyer.

Have a Colt Mustang .380 that was flawless out of the box and for hundreds of rounds since. Figured Kimber was up there with Colt....WRONG....another lesson learned the hard way.

I noticed when I broke the Kimber down to clean and oil before shooting it that the recoil spring seems very very weak. Maybe someone makes stronger aftermarket springs for the Kimber .380...maybe my Colt spring assembly will fit in there somehow.

Save your limp wrist comments - I'm former LEO and USMC and have been shooting all my life.

Sad part is my favorite pistols have engraving and blue trim...guess I can keep it as a museum piece. For sure would never trust my life to it.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
There's always that send it back to Yonkers option? I can appreciate it's frustrating to spend a good amount of $ and not get a functioning product. Kimber's CS is top notch though and it would be a rarity if they didn't "make it right". I'd suggest giving them a call, good luck.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
It's always sad to hear about common real world ownership issues with a new Kimber Micro 380. The $$$ cost of disappointments can be breath taking on range day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hate mailing guns...nightmare and expensive...for $1,000 I shouldn't have to send anything back to anyone. Did read in a forum post that they admit the spring is worthless and send a replacement free if you call them. of course they're closed and the voice mailbox is full....I've learned over the years of buying and selling guns which manufacturer's have good marketing and poor quality and stay away from them...probably my last Kimber too.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Riverkilt,
I too am a former LEO and have had my share of issues with KIMBER. All I can say is to send it back and they will make it right. May take a time or two but they will fix it so you love it. You're right about you shouldn't have to, but it will be worth it. Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did read in a forum post that they admit the spring is worthless and send a replacement free if you call them...
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the updated spring is made of flat wire and the updated guide rod has a fits over the barrel because there's a circular cut out in the end.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
They're so "popular" is why they're so busy their website says....sorry if I don't buy that. Will try to call them when they open up Monday though expect they have a flood of calls from weekend range problems. Sending the gun back is a pain in the butt and have to pay the LGS outbound and back inbound. No fun. Hopeful for an easy fix....but dang, how can a big name outfit that spends so much on marketing let junk get shipped with their name on it. Maybe they need to reroute some of the marketing money into final inspection and testing.

Reactions: Markie

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Hey, RiverK.
Sending your Kimber back won't be expensive. They'll email you a label, and you can call UPS to pick the gun up from your house. But if you have the first generation spring, call Kimber on Monday.

If it's any consolation, my first Kimber was a POS. The one I still have is a very nice gun. Also, my Colt Government .380 (cousin to your Mustang) went back to the factory twice, and they never did make it right. That was 30 years ago, and I haven't bought a Colt since. I hear after they reorganized the operation, they now make nice guns.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Welcome to Kimber Talk from a Middle Tennessean...I worked in manufacturing for several years...but after so many recalls the company tried to get the product right when shipped. Hope all works out for you....I would like to tour the Kimber Plant to see how things are done up there. We have a Kimber Micro Carry 380...about got it broke in.

·
Super Moderator
37,244 Posts
Take a look at your recoil spring, if it's a typical round wire spring then that's the problem. Contact Kimber on Monday morning and they will mail you a new flat wire recoil spring and guide rod.

Reactions: Pops6116

·
Super Moderator
37,244 Posts
I think you will find Kimbers customer service to be very friendly and eager to work with you.

Reactions: Ice-and-Snow

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope so. Before I bought the nightmare I hoped they'd put their service into delivering a quality product out of the box. Looking at the recoil spring again I'm not sure it would drive a ballpoint pen!

·
Super Moderator
37,244 Posts
All of the new Micro Carry's leaving the factory today have the new recoil spring and guide rod in them. Your gun must be an earlier one that has been sitting in stock at a dealers store.

Reactions: Markie

·
Registered
303 Posts
Kimber will send you the updated guide rod and spring and get it to you quick. I know they get it in the mail the same day you call. Kimber Customer Service is one of the best there is, they will make it right.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Riverkilt,

I feel your pain. I bought a Sig P938 this past summer. The first time out it did ok. But the second and third trip out it kept dropping the magazine during firing. VERY aggravating! I sent it back and Sig made it ok.

I then bought a used Kimber Ultra Raptor II (only 50 rounds fired through it so the owner said) and I worried while waiting on it to arrive, thinking I might have bought someones problem gun. Got the pistol and took it immediately to my range and put 50 flawless rounds through it. It now has about 600 rounds without one problem.

Moral of my story, unfortunately it seems many manufacturers of firearms these days have problems with their product. Even the ones that had or have a very good reputation for quality.

Please hang in there and let Kimber make it right. I love my Ultra Raptor and I hope you will come to love your Kimber.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is true, bought it from a gun store listing on Gunbroker and he had been sitting on it as a personal gun, but never fired it, and decided to sell it...still, makes no sense how engineers could market something like that and not know the problem before release. Sadly this is often a problem with other gunmakers too...kissy kissy fluff articles in gun magazines then pretty much ship crap to the customer. I have a number of manufacturers I refuse to do business with anymore. A sad statement about industry.

·
Super Moderator
37,244 Posts
I have a number of manufacturers I refuse to do business with anymore. A sad statement about industry.
I drive a vehicle that's worth 25 times what the one (1) Kimber I had to return to the factory for a repair cost and I just received my 3rd recall on the vehicle. I can't think of one car manufacture that hasn't had a single recall so based on what you posted you must not own a motorized vehicle. I could understand your thinking if you were buying an Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Wilson Combat etc. but Kimbers are production line guns not hand built.

Reactions: Ice-and-Snow

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No clue what that has to do with me. I'm a consumer and make my choices based on my experience with various products and brands. Your mileage may vary, but it ain't necessarily the same as mine.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts