Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m currently in the market for a new SxS. I currently have a Coleman 550 and am looking to upgrade. I only use it on my property (9 acres) mostly just to get around, haul wood and other basic stuff. I have honed in on the Honda Pioneer 1000-5. I have had really good success with Honda products. It’s mind boggling what these things cost these days. The dealers have more buyers than inventory and have no desire to deal with you. Drive out cost on the deluxe model is $20 K 🙈 I’m on a waiting list right now.

any KT members own the Pioneer 1000 that can share your thoughts on it ?

Reactions: Oklahomabound

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I don't own a Pioneer 1000 but I do have a Bulldog 700 UTV that I've had for the last 11 years. Purchased it at Tractor Supply then I saw Home Depot was selling them a few years later. Been a great workhorse for all my outside chores and leisure trail rides for the wife and me.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't own a Pioneer 1000 but I do have a Bulldog 700 UTV that I've had for the last 11 years. Purchased it at Tractor Supply then I saw Home Depot was selling them a few years later. Been a great workhorse for all my outside chores and leisure trail rides for the wife and me.
My Pioneer came from Tractor Supply too. I bought it from a neighbor when we moved to our new place. Its been ok, has some fuel injector problems at first but I got that resolved. Finding a shop in the area to work on them is really difficult. Its just a little underpowered for some of the things I need it to do. I like that the Honda has a direct drive transmission instead of the belt drive system most SxSs have. I've always had good luck with Honda. I'm on my second Ridgeline. Got 170K out of the first one and the one I have now is at 115K. As with a lot of things these days, the supply is far less than the demand so I've gotten on a waiting list at a dealer in Shreveport..... now the wait.

Reactions: JC45

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My Pioneer came from Tractor Supply too. I bought it from a neighbor when we moved to our new place. Its been ok, has some fuel injector problems at first but I got that resolved. Finding a shop in the area to work on them is really difficult. Its just a little underpowered for some of the things I need it to do. I like that the Honda has a direct drive transmission instead of the belt drive system most SxSs have. I've always had good luck with Honda. I'm on my second Ridgeline. Got 170K out of the first one and the one I have now is at 115K. As with a lot of things these days, the supply is far less than the demand so I've gotten on a waiting list at a dealer in Shreveport..... now the wait.
Shaft drive is a good thing. Mine has a Subaru engine and Dana drive components. I have countless hours on it and haven't done any major repair. Matter of fact...the BullDog is made by Trail Wagon located in Louisiana. I'm contemplating adding a Kubota diesel to the mix.

Reactions: Tejun

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Subaru generally makes some good products. The powerplant in the coleman is a HiSun. They don't have a reputation for quality as I am finding out. The Kubotas look nice. I have a Kubota tractor that is a workhorse.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
...we have a Kawasaki Mule 3010... ...have had it for 20 years... ...I reckon that we got our money out of it... ...still use it several times a week... ...and the grandkids drive the wheels off of it...

...and you can find used ones on atv trader... ...or other googled sites... ...normally go for 3.5k to 6k...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...we have a Kawasaki Mule 3010... ...have had it for 20 years... ...I reckon that we got our money out of it... ...still use it several times a week... ...and the grandkids drive the wheels off of it...

...and you can find used ones on atv trader... ...or other googled sites... ...normally go for 3.5k to 6k...
The frustrating thing for me was I had a Cub Cadet Limited Edition that was a tank. Could tow anything I had, launch my boat, what ever I needed but that was at our other lakehouse. It got to where it was just sitting in the shop so I sold it about 6 months before we bought the new place. Sure do regret that. It had the 25 hp Kohler engine.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been calling around the dealers in the area (about 250 mile radius) and nobody has anything in inventory. What they are telling me is they really don't know what they are getting till the truck pulls up. Found a listing from a dealer in Marshall Tx this morning on FB. Called them and its the color/model I want. Waiting on them to give me "the" price with all the accessories I want.... bracing myself for the shock. What really stings is the sales taxes. I'm just about 1 acre short of being eligible for the Farm Exemption according to what the lady at license bureau told me when I went to register the camper we bought.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Been calling around the dealers in the area (about 250 mile radius) and nobody has anything in inventory. What they are telling me is they really don't know what they are getting till the truck pulls up. Found a listing from a dealer in Marshall Tx this morning on FB. Called them and its the color/model I want. Waiting on them to give me "the" price with all the accessories I want.... bracing myself for the shock. What really stings is the sales taxes. I'm just about 1 acre short of being eligible for the Farm Exemption according to what the lady at license bureau told me when I went to register the camper we bought.
...a good reason to buy the land next to yours...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...a good reason to buy the land next to yours...
We are in process of doing just that. Have a verbal acceptance of our offer on one 1/2 acre lot next to a lot we own The guy is battling cancer so it’s been tough getting to close. Owner of the lot next to his wants to sell, just can’t make up his mind what his price is. Those two would put us over the threshold. There is one other 1/2 acre lot next to our home that we can’t get the owner to respond on. That’s the one we REALLY want to buy.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
We are in process of doing just that. Have a verbal acceptance of our offer on one 1/2 acre lot next to a lot we own The guy is battling cancer so it’s been tough getting to close. Owner of the lot next to his wants to sell, just can’t make up his mind what his price is. Those two would put us over the threshold. There is one other 1/2 acre lot next to our home that we can’t get the owner to respond on. That’s the one we REALLY want to buy.
...where's the pics of your ATV/SXS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts