Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a box of .44 caliber 240gr JHC bullets and was wondering if anyone out there has access to the Sierra reload data? Sierra isn't forthcoming with their published info. You have to order the complete manual from what I can tell?
I normally use Nosler products or something where there's not a problem finding the recipes but this was available so I grabbed a box a while ago.
I only shoot through rifles or pistols chambered for .44 Magnum but was thinking of loading these bullets onto .44 Special brass. I'll be using Unique powder as I have some.
The bullets themselves look like standard JHP fare. My Lee manual shows a range of 6.3gr-7.6gr of Unique for any 240 gr jacketed bullets while Nosler's website offers a range of 6.0gr-7.0gr for both JSP and JHP 240gr bullets using Unique powder. I'm pretty confident that 6.5gr-6.8gr should be safe enough but I'm curious what Sierra's published data is?
Any input appreciated ☺

Attachments

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Mark, my Sierra manual has data for the 240gr JHC in .44 Mag, but no data for the .44 Spl. They supply rifle data only. Good thing for having more than one manual on the shelf. In regard to using .44 Spl brass in your .44, I'd suggest using magnum brass and just under load it. You will not get the carbon ring ahead of the case mouth using the mag brass, same as using .38 Spl brass in a .357 Mag revolver. That carbon ring can be a real bugger to remove.

Also, there is no load data for Unique, but your proposed load of 6.3 - 7.6 gr of Unique should be right in there. My Sierra manual is their 4th edition, and has zero handgun loads, rifle loads only. Strange.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I use the Lee data for 44 mag jacketed rounds, but like Rick said I use 44 mag brass for the same reason. I download my 357’s the same way. Less scrubbing than using the specials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I've already prepped my .44 Special brass so for this round of loading I'll be using the smaller cases. I'm thinking you'd both be entertained watching the process I employ to clean the cases. One at a time...
Just to clarify, the Lee manual only offers .44 Special data for 240gr .44 caliber jacketed bullets. That same data should be appropriate for any JHP or as Sierra terms it JHC projectiles? Am I understanding that to be correct?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Yeah you should be fine, if you don’t have a Overall length use the Lee overall or crimp at the Cannelure on the bullet. I assume from the pic they are Cannelured.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah you should be fine, if you don’t have a Overall length use the Lee overall or crimp at the Cannelure on the bullet. I assume from the pic they are Cannelured.

Yes they are Cannelured. They appear identical to other JHP bullets I have used. I believe Nosler's site gives dimensions. If so I can measure these for a comparison, they're pretty close.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts