Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new micro and took it to the range today shot about 50 rounds. Only about half the time the slide locked back on the last shot. I only have the one mag it came with so I couldn't test other mags. Is this common?
Other then the slide not locking back it shot and felt great.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Possible the mag spring is a little weak-or pistol could use a little more break in.Pressure from the magazine spring lifts the slide stop to catch the slide-make sure with a empty mag that the follower is traveling unrestricted.I have 3 of the 6 round and 2 of the 7 extended and have 100% function from all of them.Its usually something pretty simple,and not normal for the Micro.

·
Registered
415 Posts
One of the issues I had at first was my hands being so large my thumb was hitting the slide lock and causing issues. Once I adjusted my grip all is well

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
24 Posts
I took my new Micro to the range yesterday to break it in. I fired 150 rds and only had the slide lock open about 50% of the time. Also had a couple FTF with no apparent contact from the firing pin on the primer.

I want to get back out to see how it performs on the next visit after some more break in. If it doesn't perform any better then I might lose faith in this little Kimber that I had high hopes for as a dependable carry pistol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been thinking the slide lock problems may have been from a weak spring in a factory extended magazine since it only happened every other time when using 2 different mags. Next range trip will verify, or not.

The FTF's on the other hand have me worried. Hopefully it's just from all the fouling inside after shooting the 150 rds.

Edit: After discussions on several forums I have been told that the Kimber mags are hit or miss when it comes to performance and this is a common problem with the micro. So I am even more confident now that a weak factory mag is my problem. I was told to mark the mags that work good and keep those for my carry mags and just use the bad ones for plinking at the range.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hoosier, I am fortunate as i have had no issues with my Micro, as far as mags go the Kimber standard mag works just fine, my other mags are the extras from my Mustang, Sig 238 and Star S. All of these mags work just fine in the Micro, the Star hangs out the bottom a bit but gives eight round capacity. One of my friend's Micro haad issues with the slide stop locking open with rounds in mag but he bent the spring slightly for more tension....no more issues.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have and an occasional issue with that happening. I thought as some forums have mentioned depending on the shape of the round being used that the round slightly brushes up against the spring of the slide lock. So far it is so infrequent I haven't taken any actions yet because it is so infrequent, but it does happen with my micro. What I have done is push the little nub of the slide release with as much pressure as I can (on the ejection port side). It seems to push the slide release away from the frame of the gun just a hair and seems to give a bit more clearance so as the round does not touch the lock mechanism.
As I said, it is in fact an occasional occurence. Hate to send back to Kimber because it is so infrequent but I would like to find a simple resolution.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also had a problem with the slide not locking open after the last bullet from the magazine was fired. In addition, the slide would get stuck in an abnormal position preventing the pistol from firing. I sent the pistol back to Kimber. I had 4 magazines that I sent back with pistol. 2 six round and 2 seven round magazines. Kimber said the 2 six round magazines were of the “old design” and Kimber is replacing them with 2 six round current design. I am getting back the pistol from kimber next week.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This is caused by the front lrft side of the mag follower not coming up far enough to shove the slide stop up into its locking notch on the last round. The two most common causes are a weak mag spring, or a slightly deformed mag follower. I don't have the problem, but I use modified 8-round Sig P290 mags in my Micro 9.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is caused by the front lrft side of the mag follower not coming up far enough to shove the slide stop up into its locking notch on the last round. The two most common causes are a weak mag spring, or a slightly deformed mag follower. I don't have the problem, but I use modified 8-round Sig P290 mags in my Micro 9.

Initially I had two 7 round Kimber mags and two 6 round Kimber mags. Notice the 7 and 6 round pictures mags above are shaped differently at the top, and their spring tension was vastly different. On the third trip back to Kimber, Kimber said the 6 round mags were the “older type” and said it was likely they caused malfunction. So Kimber exchanged both my 6 round Kimber mags for two unbranded 6 round mags. The two unbranded mags were very different shaped at the top than either of my original Kimber 6 and 7 mags. After taking it to range with the two unbranded mags, the slide stop backed out. I called Kimber today and they said it was not possible that mags could cause slide stop to back out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
View attachment 125438
Initially I had two 7 round Kimber mags and two 6 round Kimber mags. Notice the 7 and 6 round pictures mags above are shaped differently at the top, and their spring tension was vastly different. On the third trip back to Kimber, Kimber said the 6 round mags were the “older type” and said it was likely they caused malfunction. So Kimber exchanged both my 6 round Kimber mags for two unbranded 6 round mags. The two unbranded mags were very different shaped at the top than either of my original Kimber 6 and 7 mags. After taking it to range with the two unbranded mags, the slide stop backed out. I called Kimber today and they said it was not possible that mags could cause slide stop to back out.
JimCunn, could the above description of the mags possibly be the cause?

·
Registered
386 Posts
"JimCunn, could the above description of the mags possibly be the cause?"

They could be the cause of the slide not locking back on the last round, but not of the slide stop backing out.
That sounds like a weak or bent slide stop detent spring. Or perhaps, faulty geometry in the slide stop itself.

·
Registered
101 Posts
"JimCunn, could the above description of the mags possibly be the cause?"

They could be the cause of the slide not locking back on the last round, but not of the slide stop backing out.
That sounds like a weak or bent slide stop detent spring. Or perhaps, faulty geometry in the slide stop itself.
On another post he mentioned that he has remover the slide retention spring furring field stripping for cleaning and mentioned that it was getting easier to do the more he does it. I think he has probably bent it up funky doing this. He likes to skip around to different threads and tell the same story.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts