Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have send my micro 9 to Kimber three times since buying it new 2 months ago. Many issues. Kimber fixes one issue then another issue appears. I am sending it back to Kimber for the fourth time now because the slide stop backs out of pistol when firing causing the slide to get stuck. Has anyone else had this issue?
After getting pistol back from kimber 3 times, and before firing it, me and two experienced employees at gun range examined the pistol. At that time, everything looked fine. After 4 magazines, the slide was stuck. The gunsmith at the range examined it and said the slide stop backed out causing slide to get stuck. We ruled out that any part of my thumb/fingers/hand could be touching the stop slide, as with my grip nothing touched the stop slide. The gunsmith reinserted the stop slide. After carefully watching the stop slide and insuring no part of my fingers/thumb/ hand touched it, and shooting two magazines, I SAW the stop slide backing out. I called Kimber from the gun range. I obtained a RMA to send it back a fourth time.

·
Super Moderator
37,615 Posts
There is a slide stop spring that sits under the slide stop to hold it in place... is it there?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is your clip bent or missing? View attachment 125426
The spring is there. It is very easily removed now when field stripping the pistol. Before it was much tighter to remove
is your clip bent or missing? View attachment 125426
Kimber inspected my four Kimber magazines on three occasions. The last time Kimber said the problem my slide wouldn’t lock open after last shot was because of older Kimber 6 round magazines and they replaced my two 6 round Kimber magazines with two 6 round unbranded magazines. Kimber has inspected these magazines three times. I feel the magazines are good

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gunsmith at range amusingly said my pistol was trying to disassemble itself while I was firing it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ask them to replace the whole gun with a new one, see what they say
Interesting you mentioned that.

I have not been satisfied with Kimber customer service. One of the first problems I encountered was jamming when I would manually eject a live bullet from the chamber. I did this at home after I had just purchased the pistol. I call Kimber customer service and they were adamant that I needed to fire the pistol 500 times before sending it in for a warranty claim. I explained to customer service that the pistol had to be able to manually eject a bullet from the chamber to make sure it was empty before I could shoot it per safety regulations at the range.I had to involve several others at Kimber before they issued a RMA.

Today at the range when the slide stop backed out causing the slide to get stuck,I called Kimber customer service from the gun range. I explained that there has been problem after problem with this pistol and now I’m sending it back to Kimber for the fourth time after buying it new only 2 months ago.

I asked for a refund and they said no. Kimber said I could “ask” them to consider swapping my pistol for another one. So I asked.

I do not know if my micro 9 is representive of other micro 9s. What I do know is it is a crappy, unreliable piece of “workmanship” and Kimber customer service should be ashamed of themselves

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting you mentioned that.

I have not been satisfied with Kimber customer service. One of the first problems I encountered was jamming when I would manually eject a live bullet from the chamber. I did this at home after I had just purchased the pistol. I call Kimber customer service and they were adamant that I needed to fire the pistol 500 times before sending it in for a warranty claim. I explained to customer service that the pistol had to be able to manually eject a bullet from the chamber to make sure it was empty before I could shoot it per safety regulations at the range.I had to involve several others at Kimber before they issued a RMA.

Today at the range when the slide stop backed out causing the slide to get stuck,I called Kimber customer service from the gun range. I explained that there has been problem after problem with this pistol and now I’m sending it back to Kimber for the fourth time after buying it new only 2 months ago.

I asked for a refund and they said no. Kimber said I could “ask” them to consider swapping my pistol for another one. So I asked.

I do not know if my micro 9 is representive of other micro 9s. What I do know is it is a crappy, unreliable piece of “workmanship” and Kimber customer service should be ashamed of themselves
My problems with the micro 9:
1)Bullets get stuck in chamber when firing.
2) Magazine falls out.
3) Bullets get stuck in chamber when manually ejecting.
4) Slide stop backs out when firing causing slide to lock in abnormal position.
5) Kimber said two of my new Kimber magazines were defective.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My problems with the micro 9:
1)Bullets get stuck in chamber when firing.
2) Magazine falls out.
3) Bullets get stuck in chamber when manually ejecting.
4) Slide stop backs out when firing causing slide to lock in abnormal position.
5) Kimber said two of my new Kimber magazines were defective.
To kimber’s credit, they have fixed problems 1, 2, 3, and 5.

Kimber has not yet fixed problem 4, and this is the second time back for problem 4.

this gun also had one additional problem which the slide would not lock after last bullet fired. Kimber replaced 2 magazines to address this problem.

I’m just frustrated that a new Kimber pistol has has 6 major problems within 2 months of me buying it.

I thought after three times back to Kimber that the gun would be fixed.

what are your opinions??

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd have a little extended discussion with a supervisor and explain politely the dismal failure of this particular pistol to be much of a representative of the quality Kimber is generally know for.

I'd explain how close you are to losing confidence in Kimber 9 as well as the factory to be able to remedy the cascading issues. You might review your local state Lemon Law to see whether it applies to firearms.

Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd have a little extended discussion with a supervisor and explain politely the dismal failure of this particular pistol to be much of a representative of the quality Kimber is generally know for.

I'd explain how close you are to losing confidence in Kimber 9 as well as the factory to be able to remedy the cascading issues. You might review your local state Lemon Law to see whether it applies to firearms.

Good luck.
You have excellent verbal skills...attorney?

Also, you have put forth a point of view in a polite and respectful manner.

I am becoming frustrated with them.

Good advice. Very good advice.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
the slide stop backs out of pistol when firing causing the slide to get stuck. Has anyone else had this issue?
Hmmm... sippin' Cab Franc tonight, and the brain cell that retains data on slide stops seems to have been switched off. But I'll try to recall. The story I'm about to tell is about a Sig P238. The Sig and your Micro are both rip offs of an earlier Colt design, so they're sort of half sisters with different daddies. They're built similarly, so the cause and solution will be the same.

A friend called me and said, "Rob, the slide stop keeps coming out of my P238. What should I do?" I could read between the lines, and the real question wasn't what she should do, but if could I help. I told her to bring the gun over, and I'd fix it while she waited. My ego is off the charts on a regular day, but this time I was even more confident because I knew it was an existing problem on those guns. I was gambling on being able to google-fu a solution before she showed up.

Finding a solution was easy. Before she showed up, a got a small needle-nose and put it on the coffee table. She came in, and we sat down in the living room to chat. I fiddled with the gun, and by holding the gun sideways and racking the slide repeatedly, the slide stop would walk out. I stripped the gun down, and very gently bent the spring. I can't remember if I pulled it out of the frame or bent it when it was installed in the frame. It doesn't really matter. Anyway, I put it all back together while she was telling me about the kids... or work... or something.

With the gun back together, I did the sideways test again... and the slide stop just about fell right out on it's own. Sh!t. I bent the spring the wrong way. Of course I didn't let the expression on my face indicate the error. Looking surprised while working on other people's stuff makes them worry. She continued talking and I quickly disassembled the gun and bent the spring in the correct direction. I slapped the gun back together, and this time I was pretty sure it would work.

Hold the gun sideways, clack clack clack clack clack... and the slide stop didn't budge.
Load the gun up, hold it sideways, chunk chunk chunk chunk chunk... and the slide locked back after the last round.

The key to bending springs--and most other repairs--is "don't be a hamfist." It's better to gently bend a spring a little bit twice than it is to turn it into a twisted piece of spaghetti. Your problem requires a one-tool repair that can be completed in less time than it takes to box up the gun before you drive across down to the UPS depot. Googling the direction to bend the spring is up to you. If you find a solution online and understand it, then you're on your way to making your Micro 9 the gun you expected it to be.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm... sippin' Cab Franc tonight, and the brain cell that retains data on slide stops seems to have been switched off. But I'll try to recall. The story I'm about to tell is about a Sig P238. The Sig and your Micro are both rip offs of an earlier Colt design, so they're sort of half sisters with different daddies. They're built similarly, so the cause and solution will be the same.

A friend called me and said, "Rob, the slide stop keeps coming out of my P238. What should I do?" I could read between the lines, and the real question wasn't what she should do, but if could I help. I told her to bring the gun over, and I'd fix it while she waited. My ego is off the charts on a regular day, but this time I was even more confident because I knew it was an existing problem on those guns. I was gambling on being able to google-fu a solution before she showed up.

Finding a solution was easy. Before she showed up, a got a small needle-nose and put it on the coffee table. She came in, and we sat down in the living room to chat. I fiddled with the gun, and by holding the gun sideways and racking the slide repeatedly, the slide stop would walk out. I stripped the gun down, and very gently bent the spring. I can't remember if I pulled it out of the frame or bent it when it was installed in the frame. It doesn't really matter. Anyway, I put it all back together while she was telling me about the kids... or work... or something.

With the gun back together, I did the sideways test again... and the slide stop just about fell right out on it's own. Sh!t. I bent the spring the wrong way. Of course I didn't let the expression on my face indicate the error. Looking surprised while working on other people's stuff makes them worry. She continued talking and I quickly disassembled the gun and bent the spring in the correct direction. I slapped the gun back together, and this time I was pretty sure it would work.

Hold the gun sideways, clack clack clack clack clack... and the slide stop didn't budge.
Load the gun up, hold it sideways, chunk chunk chunk chunk chunk... and the slide locked back after the last round.

The key to bending springs--and most other repairs--is "don't be a hamfist." It's better to gently bend a spring a little bit twice than it is to turn it into a twisted piece of spaghetti. Your problem requires a one-tool repair that can be completed in less time than it takes to box up the gun before you drive across down to the UPS depot. Googling the direction to bend the spring is up to you. If you find a solution online and understand it, then you're on your way to making your Micro 9 the gun you expected it to be.
Thank you RustyIron. When I hold my micro 9 sideways and repeatedly rack the slide the slide stop would back out just a tad, buy not like it backs out when firing. I appreciate you focusing my attention on the spring.

I also read some other comments in other discussions which include it could be the magazine, “When the last round left the magazine, this coil or the spring was actually pushing the slide stop to the left.”And, “a deformed magazinefollower can put outward pressure on the slide stop, buy it should be easily seen and fixed or that magazine not used.” Also maybe the slide is out of specs.
I have already packaged up my Kimber micro 9 and actually on my way to ups to drop it off.

·
Registered
13,705 Posts
To kimber’s credit, they have fixed problems 1, 2, 3, and 5.

Kimber has not yet fixed problem 4, and this is the second time back for problem 4.

this gun also had one additional problem which the slide would not lock after last bullet fired. Kimber replaced 2 magazines to address this problem.

I’m just frustrated that a new Kimber pistol has has 6 major problems within 2 months of me buying it.

I thought after three times back to Kimber that the gun would be fixed.

what are your opinions??
IMO! Upgrade! Make them trade it for a 9mm Ultra model any of them.
I bought this Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm used, I have $600 in it, it has been perfect, no malfunctions since day one. I wouldn't trade it for 3 Micro9's. I added a Crimson Trace laser grip I had on hand, good to go...
Stainless Ultra Carry $600.jpg
Stainless Ultra Carry $600.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IMO! Upgrade! Make them trade it for a 9mm Ultra model any of them.
I bought this Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm used, I have $600 in it, it has been perfect, no malfunctions since day one. I wouldn't trade it for 3 Micro9's. I added a Crimson Trace laser grip I had on hand, good to go... View attachment 125435 View attachment 125435
I haven’t thought about asking for a “different” pistol. I thought about asking for another micro 9, but have reservations doing so because of my very negative experience with this one. But asking for a different model is a possibility. I just sent a complaint to kimber’s quality control department substantiated with copies of correspondence and pictures. Kimber really irritated me. For example, after first buying gun, I loaded a magazine at home and then manually ejected the bullets. The bullets jammed in the chamber when I tried to eject them. I called Kimber customer service and they repeatedly said to go shoot it 500 times and then call them. I told them it jams when manually ejecting the bullet and that was an issue that needed to be addressed before shooting it. I spoke with supervisor and sent it back and that issue was fixed but then subsequent issues after issues

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven’t thought about asking for a “different” pistol. I thought about asking for another micro 9, but have reservations doing so because of my very negative experience with this one. But asking for a different model is a possibility. I just sent a complaint to kimber’s quality control department substantiated with copies of correspondence and pictures. Kimber really irritated me. For example, after first buying gun, I loaded a magazine at home and then manually ejected the bullets. The bullets jammed in the chamber when I tried to eject them. I called Kimber customer service and they repeatedly said to go shoot it 500 times and then call them. I told them it jams when manually ejecting the bullet and that was an issue that needed to be addressed before shooting it. I spoke with supervisor and sent it back and that issue was fixed but then subsequent issues after issues
Even though I purchased the pistol new in 2-21, Kimber repeatedly told me initially that the pistol was not under warranty. Only after I was assertive did they agree it was under warranty. At first they said it was not under warranty buy they may or may not fix it per their “good will.”

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Even though I purchased the pistol new in 2-21, Kimber repeatedly told me initially that the pistol was not under warranty. Only after I was assertive did they agree it was under warranty. At first they said it was not under warranty buy they may or may not fix it per their “good will.”
I know I need to handle my frustrations with customer service and this malfunctioning pistol better, but I am frustrated

·
Registered
101 Posts
I know I need to handle my frustrations with customer service and this malfunctioning pistol better, but I am frustrated
I think I know the problem here. The discussion starter likes to talk but not listen. Out of 19 posts up to now I think 15 are written by him.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts