Kimber Talk Forums banner

Slide won't lock open

9K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Nellybelle 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody,
I picked up a new sts build date sep 13, this week.
I haven't had a chance to break it in yet but I have notice when racking the slide on an empty mag it doesn't lock open unless I push on the bottom of the mag whilst retracting the slide. Does this sound like just a mag issue or will the whole thing be heading back to Kimber? Any thoughts or comments welcomed.
I'm going to try and get a spare mag tomorrow to test.

#4 ·
I hope a new mag does the trick though finding one in Delaware might pose a problem. I am hoping that, the fact it will lock back when you put pressure on the bottom of the mag and retract the slide is indicative of a just a mag issue.
Apart from this issue I'm as happy as one can be with an unfired pistol. It just feels and looks like quality, just shame about this early issue.

#6 ·
Where in Delaware tp? I haven't had any problem finding mags for my Ultra Carry II. Message me on the side if you like.

#11 ·
Lawman Supply, Rt 10 just West of the base has both standard Kimber mags and Kim Tac. I was there Friday and they had plenty of both.

#14 ·
They will order some if they don't have them. Ask for Jay, stocky, short close cut hair. He can get them in a few days. They are a Kimber stocking dealer so there is no factory hassle.

#16 ·
Thanks for the heads up. They had them in stock for almost $10 less than shooters choice. The issue doesn't occur with the new mag and I've done some "modifications" with a pair of pliers and they both function correctly now. I just put fifty rounds of 148 grain American eagle through it and some jhp's from Remington. Two jams with the American eagle( failure to extract) but other than that it shot great. I didn't think the recoils was bad either. So I'm very happy and look forward to putting more rounds down range soon.

#19 ·
I agree, it is a great gun and the challenge of learning to shoot it accurately is going to be enormous fun. Do any of you have a favorite ammo accuracy wise? ( i seemed beter with the 147 grain American Eagle FMJ rounds than the 127 grain Remington JHP's). I'm really so surprised at how little it seemed to recoil. It felt like it had less muzzle flip than my PPQ and seemed to be back on target with ease. I had none of the hand or finger discomfort I've heard various reviewers talking about.

#20 ·
It is still early days for me, as I only have about 100 rounds through mine, but Hornaday Custom 124 gr delivers the best accuracy for me so far.

I picked up a box of Hornaday Critical Duty 135 gr. yesterday and will report back after I have sent those babies down range.

You make good points about the felt recoil and muzzle flip. I think that has a lot to do with your stance and your grip. A good two hand hold with wrists locked and it is easy to get it back on target for a followup shot.

Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.