Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The grip is like a cheese grater! Anyone else feel the same way? Rubs my side raw! I had to put painters tape on it to carry the Damn gun. Kimber said put a rubber grip on it but it might void the warranty
Had a custom holster made to hopefully make it more comfortable, but it still rubs.
Wood Font Art Electric blue Rectangle
Wood Font Art Electric blue Rectangle

Attachments

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
This is the exact reason ALL my carry guns have smooth grips installed. No more shredded hands, shirts or sweaters, car/truck upholstery or anything else that comes into contact with the grips.
Rough grips are perfect for combat, rain, snow, sweat, blood, etc., but totally suck for actual carry on a daily basis....ask me how I figured that one out.

My range guns all have checkered grips, but for day in and day out concealed carry, smooth gets the favored nod. You'll come to the same conclusion after time if you're serious about EDC.

Oh, and welcome to the KT forum, too bad your very first post was a bitch though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The grip is like a cheese grater! Anyone else feel the same way? Rubs my side raw! I had to put painters tape on it to carry the Damn gun. Kimber said put a rubber grip on it but it might void the warranty
Had a custom holster made to hopefully make it more comfortable, but it still rubs. View attachment 127575 View attachment 127575
They don't have one specifically for the Mako yet but check out - DIY 5" x 7" Material Sheets you can cut your own to fit. I personally like the rubber gives nice grip assistance and is not rough on the skin. They are an absolute must for me on all my polymer frame units. If not will rip my skin raw when carrying.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
The grip is like a cheese grater! Anyone else feel the same way? Rubs my side raw!
The Sig P365 was the same way for me. My initial solution was to take a very fine diamond file and go over all the "high points" of the stippling. The work wasn't evident to the naked eye, but it knocked off all the sharp points that were bothersome. It carried fine after that. That particular gun, however, I found to be narrower that I preferred. I put on a Hogue HandAll grip. It's a rubber slip-on grip, for something like twelve bucks off Amazon. The grip fits my palm MUCH better than the factory grip, it provides grippiness, and it doesn't grate my skin when it's in the holster. I liked the HandAll so much that I got one for my HK45C, which I also thought was too narrow in the palm area.

You might try the HandAll first, because it's so cheap and easy. If you don't like it, you can turn to the file later.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
My wife throws on a 4” wide thin belly band (no holster on band). Handle rubs on that not her skin
Plus it keeps her extra mags on the opposite side in the band.
She has the kind with Velcro you can remove the holsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
@The leak welcome to the site from Tennessee.

Reactions: The leak

·
Administrator
39,581 Posts
Welcome to the forum The Leak, seriously, they told you changing grips is going to void your warranty? Change them, and you have a problem requiring the gun to be sent back to Kimber simply put the original grips back on it.

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your interests, hobbies and where you're located.

Reactions: The leak

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum The Leak, seriously, they told you changing grips is going to void your warranty? Change them, and you have a problem requiring the gun to be sent back to Kimber simply put the original grips back on it.

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your interests, hobbies and where you're located.
Yes they said if I add a slip on grip it "could" void the warranty. LOL

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
Yes they said if I add a slip on grip it "could" void the warranty. LOL
Got to be the stupidest statement I've ever heard Kimber customer service make. Had to be a rookie customer rep.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Got to be the stupidest statement I've ever heard Kimber customer service make. Had to be a rookie customer rep.
About 22 years old, freshly "educated" (indoctrinated) in a liberal woke school, only job he/she could find that required no actual work, unemployment ran out......how could you possibly make a statement like that Arland?

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Improperly trained, or just low-IQ untrainable. In either case, it reflects the level of incompetence that Kimber has chosen to service their customers. 100% on Kimber management.

I'll take a wild guess that management tells em' to say the warranty could be voided whenever a customer mentions anything other than using the gun as it left the factory.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Improperly trained, or just low-IQ untrainable. In either case, it reflects the level of incompetence that Kimber has chosen to service their customers. 100% on Kimber management.

I'll take a wild guess that management tells em' to say the warranty could be voided whenever a customer mentions anything other than using the gun as it left the factory.
Sometimes..
You just can't teach stupid..

·
Administrator
39,581 Posts
A couple of years back, I returned my "Classic Carry Pro" to the factory for a minor adjustment. It was something I could easily have done myself, but rather than take the chance of marring the beautiful custom Turnbull Restoration finish, I decided to let the factory do it. Not wanting to chance something happening to the custom bone grips that came with the gun, I replaced them with some aftermarket grips I had. Nothing was ever said about the grips, the factory corrected the problem, and the gun was promptly returned to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts