Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New kimber solo was a Jammamatic. Was playing Range Officer and doing instruction, so couldn't fool with it at the time. Took it out today to try to figure out what was going on. Kept getting expended cases halfway out of the chamber after firing, with the top round of the magazine jamming it in place. Looked like it has hopped off the extractor halfway out of the chamber. Sometimes I was lucky and was able to shoot 2-3 shots before another jam.

I fired 128 gr and 147 gr Win and Rem ammo, as well as some CMP "hot" surplus 9mm and some 115 gr as well. Also tried some 128gr XTP high performance self-defense ammo. Yes, I'm aware I shouldn't have expected the surplus or the 115gr to work well, but regardless, I experienced the EXACT same behavior no matter which ammo I used.

I put one round in the magazine, chambered it and fired. 19 out of 20 rounds fired single shots this way, and slide held open each time as it should. All but that one erroneous round extracted fine. I believe the rounds in the magazine are (1) dragging on the slide, slowing its cycling down, and/or (2) rounds in the magazine are adding enough pressure to the underside of the empty casing to prevent it from extracting (and adding enough pressure to make it skip off the extractor during the cycle). To be sure it wasn't a bad magazine, I tried a second Kimber magazine "high capacity" and it acted EXACTLY the same way. I struggled through about 200 rounds or so, so this isn't a "break in" problem.

Anybody else seen this? Anyone figured it out for sure? I believe it's either a bad extractor or a weak extractor spring, but figured I'd ask here, so I don't reinvent the wheel.

I really, REALLY wanted to like this pistol, but was pretty disappointed. It can't be trusted as a carry gun, unfortunately. Thank goodness I didn't sell my Ruger SP-101 revolver yet! At least I've got one in my pocket until I can get this Kimber sorted out.

Thx,
- PEB

·
Super Moderator
38,430 Posts
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois pebjag, I'm not a Solo owner so I don't have much to offer. I'd suggest you contact Kimbers customer service, they've been real good about getting other members Solo problems fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mine did the same thing and it is back at Kimber now. Ill post when it gets back and tell what was done.
Thanks. That's exactly what I was hoping for... if it's an easy fix (like a new extractor spring), I can take care of it locally in an hour. Standing by!!!
:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
The extractor problem is fairly common with the Solo (searching through the internet posts and videos). Mine seems to be shooting "OK" now, it extracts but doesn't kick them out consistently like it should. Some eject like they are supposed to, some kick back and hit me in the hat some rounds just barely make it out.
I think the problem is with the extractor profile. If you look at it from the front, it's curved to match the profile of the cartridge.
I did some messing around, I took out the recoil spring and put the barrel and slide back on the gun so I could easily and slowly cycle it with snap caps to see what is going on.
With a snap cap chambered, the extractor fully grips the case rim as it should. As the slide comes back and the barrel drops down to diss-engage the locking lugs the cartridge rim is forced down with the barrel and slides down the extractor face. Since the extractor is curved the cartridge rim is no longer fully in contact with very much of the extractor. In fact just a little corner of it. So the extractor tends to let go of the casing before the ejector can give it a good punch to kick it out.
I'm going to see if Kimber will sell me an extractor. I think I can re-profile it and make it work much better than it does now.

Bosh

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am at 200 flawless rounds. I was worried but stopped. Time will tell but so far so good

·
Registered
3 Posts
mine did the same thing and it is back at Kimber now. Ill post when it gets back and tell what was done.
Ditto on this! Mine had lots of FTEs and I called Kimber customer service and they were very good with me. They said right now the turn-around time is about 4 weeks. Then CS called me back to ask me a question and said they should know something in about two weeks. Mine has only been gone about a week.

·
Registered
136 Posts
...Anybody else seen this? Anyone figured it out for sure? I believe it's either a bad extractor or a weak extractor spring, but figured I'd ask here, so I don't reinvent the wheel.

I really, REALLY wanted to like this pistol, but was pretty disappointed. It can't be trusted as a carry gun, unfortunately. Thank goodness I didn't sell my Ruger SP-101 revolver yet! At least I've got one in my pocket until I can get this Kimber sorted out.

Thx,
- PEB
See this thread. Get it fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got it back today

It's pretty sad to pay $740 for a pistol and have to immediately send it back to have the factory fix it. At last I got it back. It took about a month door-to-door. In the grand scheme of things, I guess a turnaournd in 30 days is probably ok. I didn't get much of an explanation, though. I included a very detailed description of the problem and analysis (with pictures) demonstrating the failure to extract, and asked for a new extractor and extractor spring. With the pistol came paperwork showing they found "fails to eject" and "stovepipes." (I had neither of these issues -- maybe that's what they write on ALL of 'em.) Unfortunately, they didn't address the "failure to extract" -- which was my complaint. Weird. They "Adjusted Extractor" (whatever that means), and "Replaced Spring, Outer Recoil." I'd asked for them to replace my extractor and extractor spring, but they did neither. Bummer.

I haven't got a lot of confidence here, but will take it to the range this week and test fire it again. I hope they fixed it! We'll see. I'll post results for those in the same boat...

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
They did the same thing to mine {adjusted the extractor and replaced recoil spring} and 700 rounds later it is flawless shooting..
You can ask them to do whatever, but their only going to fix what's needed..
Good luck..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just back from the range after getting my "failure to extract" Solo back from Kimber today. Remington 147gr: 50 rds, no issues. Winchester 147gr "train and defend": jammamatic. Remington UMC green box leadless 124 gr FNEB: 30 rounds ok, then jammamatic. Hornady 124 gr XTP: 2 magazines ok. The bottom line is that it's still very finicky (even avoiding the 115gr like the plague). I figure I've been through $200 in ammo so far just trying to figure out what this gun likes, what it'll cycle, and am still trying to figure it out for sure. I'm in it for almost a grand now. Thus far, I've learned this:
1) it runs much better after getting it back from Kimber
2) it still ain't perfect (compared to my buddy's Solo that'll shoot anything no questions asked)
3) It'll take a while to find ammo it'll shoot reliably. I'm still looking (though the solid-point remington mentioned above is the best candidate thus far)
4) I'd have been better off buying that Taurus .357 snub revolver that'd would have been (a) cheaper, (b) MUCH more reliable (c) shot anything I stuffed into the cylinder.
5) this might be a fun "mess with it at the range" pistol, and it's a great toy. But as a serious self-defense pistol on which I'd stake my life? Never. Not in a million years! Kimber has convinced me that a decent revolver is a much better choice for carry than a Kimber Solo. It's a shame... I really WANTED to like this pistol. I'll keep it in the safe and pull it out whenever I want to convince someone NOT to buy one. Grrr.
- PEB

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
Even though it may be a bit expensive at first, I would just keep shooting the Remington or the Hornady ammo since your Solo doesn't have an issue with it.
As the firearm loosens up it may just shoot anything you put in it like mine did.
I was ready to melt mine down into a pendant but it just took patience and it all worked out in the end..
From all the reviews I read prior to buying it, I knew up front that it was a finicky eater and just took the chance anyway..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ejector broken

My FTEs, after its second trip back to Kimber had Solo working for awhile, apparently are the result of the ejector broken off where it slims down and extends forward from where it is mounted on the frame. Going back to Kimber for the third time now. I really want this gun to work, and when it does it shoots great. It has never been reliable enough to carry -- yet?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jeez, how long have you had it for?

My FTEs, after its second trip back to Kimber had Solo working for awhile, apparently are the result of the ejector broken off where it slims down and extends forward from where it is mounted on the frame. Going back to Kimber for the third time now. I really want this gun to work, and when it does it shoots great. It has never been reliable enough to carry -- yet?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mine (Solo DC(LG)) had to go back to the mothership, but it came back perfect. My brother's Solo Carry just got back (same FTE problem) from Yonkers, and ran like a champ today. I think the people who have had this problem come to this forum looking for answers, and the BEST answer I got was to send it back to them. I agree.....they can (and will) make it work right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts