Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw Josey added a standard 1911 base plate. Sounds simple enough and im a handy guy. Drill and tap. But I lack the tools.

What would be needed? a Vice, drill, and tap/die set?

How about Gorilla glue instead? any other substance that can bond rubber and or plastic to metal?

Not looking to do sloppy work, just looking at all the possibilities.

Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
38,337 Posts
What would be needed? a Vice, drill, and tap/die set?

Thanks for any help.

A vise would be handy, a clamp would do in a pinch, a 3/8 drill motor, the proper size drill bit, a tap and tap wrench are all you would need. You can usually find small taps with the proper size bit together in a package at a home center store for a couple of bucks. You don't need a die or to buy a set of taps. If you don't want to buy a tap wrench you can chuck the tap in the drill motor and run it slowly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unable to find a tap for the magazine, only size at HomeDepot was one size too big.

So I went With Gorilla Glue Super glue for metal and rubber. I filed the rubber pad, it is a Kimber pad, and got it rough, and then the same to the base plate.I then placed one drop at the very front. Positioned the plate and base held for a few seconds. I then put on a C clamp for 5 hours.

After 5 hours did a few mag drops from the firing height and it held! I reapplied it to the C clamp and will let it set for 24 hours. Until something better comes along or I can find a machine shop that wont make wait a week it'll have to do.

Attachments

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Super Moderator
38,337 Posts
It looks good, where there's a will there's a way.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If memory serves, I used a 6-32NC tap that I bought from Home Depot for my extension

(http://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/kimber-solo-forum/1090-customized-extended-mag.html)

I would have preferred NF (National Fine) threads versus NC (National Coarse) threads, but I believe that would be a special order type item from a machinist store site. I used socket head SS screws available in their special bins for those type items. Anyway, it worked and I can still dismantle the magazine for cleaning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts