Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
My first Springfield 1911 was a TRP that I bought new online.
Got it home and the SOP was to take it down and clean it. BUT I could not get the gun to rack. Now I'm not some wimpy guy, but that slide simply would not budge. My first intervention with CS at Springfield was not a good one. I was super pist to say the least.
I was speaking with a female rep and asked me all types of questions. She went to talk to a gunsmith, and he told her to tell me to just shoot it. I said that would be nice, but I will not shoot a gun that cannot be racked. How do I know if the first round could be a catastrophic failure. This idiot would not talk one on one with me. Rather than argue any further, I decided to tackle it myself.

So the fun part:

I had to use a rubber pad and rubber mallet to finally break the slide lose. I took everything apart. Msh, firing pin, you name it.
They never deburred anything! In fact, it was so sharp inside, I cut my finger on a sharp edge. Once I got slide deburred and polished, I worked on the rails, They were terrible and the slide was tight to ride on them. Next was the barrel. Their barrels are not really round. They are ovalish. They had grooves in them from where the slide dug into them. The thing had rough spots all over. I ended up polishing it to a mirror finish as well as the ramp. Was a biotch to get it cleaned up.

Once done, this pistol worked like butter. But I never should have had to deal with something like this. In did leave a bad taste in my mouth. Called SA back and explained what the problem was and heard nothing but silence on the other end. They had no excuse. Took me hours to fix their bad workmanship. I won't buy another SA 1911...

I never had any prob with their rifles. I really wonder if anyone inspected it let alone fire a test round. The TRP is not their cheapest pistol and I expected no problems.

Just some advice. If you have some Flitz polish, use that in the rails instead of oil and assemble and rack it for awhile, then clean it properly and use slide grease, not oil.
The Flitz has a mild abrasive or Mothers Chrome polish or worse case if you have none of that, white toothpaste. They will all work to smooth out the rails without you having to guess where the issue lies.

Good luck. Nice pistol.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts