Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shooting my P99 this morning and heard an unusual sound. I dropped the mag, and cleared the brass. I was shooting 124gr Federal American Eagle factory ammo. Look at what happened.

It could have been bad if I had racked the slide and fired again. I've been shooting for a long time, and this is the first time this ever happened to me. It's really wedged in their tight. So far I have not been able to drive it out. I may have to go to a gunsmith.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow! As you said, it is good you didn't fire again!!

Years ago a friend of mine had a squib in a .38 Spec revolver, he was shooting wad cutters he had reloaded. He had a round with no powder, the primer pushed it about halfway down the barrel. We took a wooden dowel rod just smaller than the bore and pounded it out backwards from the muzzle.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
38,381 Posts
I've done that shooting my buddies reloads once. It shouldn't be too difficult to get it out, a padded vice to hold the barrel, a brass or wooden doll just smaller then the bore and a hammer. From the looks of it you've only got to drive it about 2".

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
Good job on catching that Gmountain...
A long time ago I was taught to always listen to each round fired and to always keep count of how many rounds you fired...

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
You are right, squibs can get ugly if you don't catch them right away. Nicely done.

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
Whew! Good catch! Makes my ass pucker just looking at the pic!

·
Super Moderator
38,381 Posts
I'm glad to hear you got it out.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Did that once with my own reloads. I was shooting Police Practical with my Browning HP. I didn't hear it, (lot of others shooting around me), fired a second round and noticed a bit more kick that usual. Then, after trying to fire again, I noticed the slide had not gone forward.
I now have that bulging barrel mounted in a small frame. The Bar-Sto replacement has been serving me well ever since.

·
Super Moderator
5,192 Posts
Had a squib once in my Glock. Hate to think of what would have happened if I'd have fired again. glad it worked out OK for you.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Not a squib story but just a reminder of what happened on our range.

Officer with a SA 1911 got a 40SW round mixed up and loaded it into the mag. At some point the 40 stripped from the mag and "chambered". Upon next shot the round did not detonate but was forced forward by the firing pin strike. He did his immediate action of Tap Rack and fired a 45 behind it. The bullet struck the rear of the I fired 40 case that was somewhere in front of the chamber in the bore. You guessed it. Boom. Big bulged barrel and gun locked up solid. The slide stop lever have to be cut off so the pin could be driven out.

Careful of mixing ammo.

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
Same here..
I can't remember if this story was too little powder or too much but it was bad.
The cylinder shot off and ricocheted off of the range/stall barrier and sliced the guys cheek..

·
Registered
747 Posts
That revolver picture reminds me of my very first reloads. I bought a single stage outfit from a local gun shop. I had been hanging out and buying things there for a few years. I bought everything I needed except the loading manual. The store owner looked up the proper load for me and off I went.
A couple days later I stopped in and mentioned those loads were very powerful but the brass was looking kind of, "abused". after much deliberation we found the problem. I was loading for my Ruger Security Six, .357. But I was using .38 brass. The load data was for the .357. Every time I think of that I am so very relieved I was shooting a Ruger.

Reactions: Marshall

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Follow up- I called Federal and they told me to send the remainder of the box back, so they could see what happened. I sent the remainder, about 30 rounds, along with the brass from the squib. They called several times, and we were playing telephone tag. I finally talked to them today- they told it was a light powder load, based on how the brass looked.

They told me they don't like leaving a message, in case I had any questions they could answer.

Then the UPS man showed up with four new boxes (200 rounds) of ammo from Federal as a replacement! That was pretty cool. Great customer service.

·
Super Moderator
38,381 Posts
Thankfully you caught the squib and it's good to hear that Federal stepped up and made good on their mistake.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Good to hear about Federal's response, but scary to know something like that could happen with factory ammo!

BTW - any damage to the barrel during the removal process?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I shot this today-first time since the squib. Just to make sure there was no barrel issues, even thought I was pretty sure about it. Well, 100 rounds later, it's just as great as ever. Walthers are pretty darned great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts