Kimber Talk Forums banner

Stainless Ultra Raptor II - Range Report

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Islander 
#1 ·
So some know I recently grabbed a Stainless Ultra Raptor II and I finally had a chance to take the old girl out for a spine. Gun was never shot so I was prepared for anything. Right out the gate it shoot like a dream. Super smooth & crisp trigger, not much more recoil than my Pro Crimson Carry II, and shot the center out of the first 3 targets. There is one issue that I am attributing to the Kimber factory mag. When loaded to full capacity of 7rds I would get a FTF when dropping the slide release. Bullet would be cocked on an angle and inserted about 1/3 of the way in. If I loaded the mag less than full, say 5 or 6rds it fed fine.

I know I have read about the Kimber (Checkmate) mags being less than ideal but can someone confirm my prognosis? I have ordered 2 8rd Chip McCormick mags and should have them on Friday. I typically use my factory mags for range time other than running about 50 rounds through the new Chip mags to break them in.,

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I'll try leaving it loaded with ammo to break it in. On my Pr Carry I use the factory mag all the time at the range without issue but I bought that gun used with about 50 rds through it and it sat in a safe loaded for a year or so. Mag was pretty broken in.

#4 ·
Have you tried breaking down the magazine and cleaning it? It's something that many people don't think about doing. It hasn't happened very often but I have found unwanted bits of crap in new mags that could interfered with it's operation.

#6 ·
I have tried both the factory mag and Chip McCormick 7 and 8 rounders. Same result. I am hoping that break-in will resolve it. It seems to load better on FMJ rounds but I have had FTFs on those too. On JHP rounds, especifically Critical Duty +Ps and Federal HSTs, the bullet gets hung on the bottom of the feed ramp. I am going to disassemble the gun and take a look at the barrel. Maybe I have similar issues to the OP's.

#7 ·
I'd wait until the gun is fully broken in using 230 gr. FMJ ammo before I started playing with hollow points. Even fully broken in Kimbers can be fussy about the JHP ammo you use in them. I have two Kimbers that will shoot JHP all day long with 100% reliability until you try taking the ammo from gun A and shooting it in gun B and vice versa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.