Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, I've done it too. Got the Micro 9 today, took it apart to give it a clean and putting it back together I got the slide lock pin ahead of the barrel .... sigh.

Not sure if my issue is the same as the others on here who have reported them same. I can move my slide back and forward and the barrel can freely move back and forward as well.

Guide rod sticks out and won't move, but I can grab it with a vice and pull it out against spring pressure.

Anyway, any pointers to free it up? Seems like I should be able to line up the slide stop to the spot in the frame where you would normally knock it out, but I am a wee bit afraid of how much hammering it would need to get it out - don't want to damage the new pistol!!

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would find something very stiff and non-metal to tap the slide stop through once you line it up. Good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome stoop, congrats on your new M9.

I think many of us have had this happen.

I put the slide stop pin part way, making sure it’s through the key way in the barrel, before moving the slide back.

Not to worry. If you wiggle the barrel kinda push it in and out while lining the slide up and push the slide stop pin out. It may take a bit of fanangaling but it will come apart.

The guide rod won’t make contact with the slide stop pin. So it’s a matter of lining the slide up in the sweet spot to push the stop pin out. If the barrel is tight against the pin you need to move it. Good luck.

·
Administrator
38,881 Posts
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois stoop, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
A welcome from a Tennessean. Did you get it out?

·
Banned
5,806 Posts
you have to get the barrel back up into the slide so it can go forward again..

then next time...

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Welcome to the site from Tennessee.

Some good members already on the job.

I brought home a couple good sets of chop sticks from the local Chinese joint for pushing on things I don't want to scratch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you have to get the barrel back up into the slide so it can go forward again..
Hmm, the barrel is up in the slide, in pictures 2 and 3 you can see I am able to move it forward and back up in the slide. Do I need to get it higher?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A welcome from a Tennessean. Did you get it out?
Thanks.

No not yet. I've about list the feeling in my hands from trying to hold the slide back at the point where you normally push the pin in and out.

I'm not sure what is holding the pin, could the guide rod be up against it or do I just need to be brave and start smacking the heck out of it with a pin punch until pops out. How stiff are these supposed to be?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes the pin is farely tight even when installed correctly. When she is jammed even more so. I don’t believe the guide rod can hit the pin I is stopped by the slide.

Sounds like you got it. Watch some YouTube on the steps to reassemble. You likely won’t make that error again lol. I know I haven’t after the first time.

Lube her up and shoot it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
OK, got it. Rather than punch it out with a pin punch I got the holes lines up then prized it out from the level side using one of these tools for opening the back of a watch - it has a very thin blade.

Thanks for the help guys.

You have passed lesson 1 Grasshopper!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think we do it at least once, I'm slow learner I've done it a couple times.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Glad you got it resolved. You weren't the first member that had this happen on the first cleaning, and I'm pretty sure won't be the last. Hopefully, you'll decide to hang around this forum for a while. Great place to exchange information on things that go BANG :D

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Glad you got it out....Hey, I like your way of doing it. Can't wait to see how it finally shoots.

Reactions: oldognewtrick
1 - 16 of 16 Posts