Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Hard to avoid made in China with smaller safes. There are some adequate safes on Amazon in the 3 cubic ft. range, which should be big enough for ten handguns. Without their Tupperware.

In the larger category, I went with SnapSafe. I got tired of moving safes or leaving them behind when I moved. SnapSafe is a very sturdy safe. Unlike the welded type, it arrives in sections on a pallet and bolts together (and thus comes apart). You can assemble it yourself and not need three gorillas and a crane to help set it in place.

Note: The big cross-country movers won't touch gun safes or transport them.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
I have snapsafe lock boxes in my vehicles, for securing guns if I need to go into a Government building, etc.
They are solid and well built.
Son has an Amazon safe like DF mentioned in his closet.
How secure do you need it to be?
I have a 4 steel construction/tool lock boxes in my gun room, that are bolted to the floor and wall, and the room is secure, but I have a unique situation where someone is always home.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Note: The big cross-country movers won't touch gun safes or transport them.
Why would you think that? Our movers, (Santiago Worldwide), moved all the contents of my home including all my safes with guns padded neatly inside and moved all my other weapons. They required check lists with my guns and serial numbers that I had to sign off as they went out then when we arrived, did it all in reverse. One gun at a time. It's how I got to TN... They specialize in moving weapons and transport for the military as well. They will not transport ammo. So the back of my pickup truck was loaded top to bottom with ammo cans and cabinets.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Why would you think that? Our movers, (Santiago Worldwide), moved all the contents of my home including all my safes with guns padded neatly inside and moved all my other weapons. They required checklists with my guns and serial numbers that I had to sign off as they went out then when we arrived, did it all in reverse. One gun at a time. It's how I got to TN... They specialize in moving weapons and transport for the military as well. They will not transport ammo. So the back of my pickup truck was loaded top to bottom with ammo cans and cabinets.
I've moved cross-country three times and every major moving company said the same thing. Expenses were paid by my employer. I was free to choose from:

North American
Allied
United
Mayflower

In all cases, when I asked for quotes and schedules all of them declined to move firearms or ammunition. The latter is a legal issue. They can't transport ammo. Hazardous material. Firearms is a policy matter that varies from one company to the next. I'm sure there are some who will, but you don't always have the choice of who moves your stuff. In my last move, the rep was a gun owner and very upfront about it. He said the company doesn't want the liability of the guns being stolen. It is not unusual for these companies to outsource long-haul transport. Thus, they don't maintain custody of the contents.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
I've moved cross-country three times and every major moving company said the same thing. Expenses were paid by my employer. I was free to choose from:

North American
Allied
United
Mayflower

In all cases, when I asked for quotes and schedules all of them declined to move firearms or ammunition. The latter is a legal issue. They can't transport ammo. Hazardous material. Firearms is a policy matter that varies from one company to the next. I'm sure there are some who will, but you don't always have the choice of who moves your stuff. In my last move, the rep was a gun owner and very upfront about it. He said the company doesn't want the liability of the guns being stolen. It is not unusual for these companies to outsource long-haul transport. Thus, they don't maintain custody of the contents.
Yep.
When I moved home from California, I got the same excuse.
Didn't mind bring responsible for $100k worth of furniture, tools, jewelery, etc.. but not a gun heaven forbid.
I bought a used truck, rented a trailer and drove.
Ended up saving about $4k.

Reactions: DungFu

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
What can I say. Guess I’m lucky they specialized in it then.
Everything was insured through them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
no kids in the home so just looking for a form of security. never had a break in but i have never had this many handguns at one time. thank you for the responses.
You may want to look into the lockable drawered tool cabinets you can purchase at Lowe's or Home Depot. You can pick them up when they run a promotion. They can be bolted to a wall or the floor and they'll handle your firearms and ammo.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Yep.
When I moved home from California, I got the same excuse.
Didn't mind bring responsible for $100k worth of furniture, tools, jewelery, etc.. but not a gun heaven forbid.
I bought a used truck, rented a trailer and drove.
Ended up saving about $4k.
I bought an enclosed cargo trailer and towed it with my Tundra from Seattle to Atlanta. I took the scenic route. I was glad that turned out that way, actually. I took my time and got to see a lot of out-of-the-way places and people. It helps you appreciate what a great country we have inherited.

I sort of get why corporate lawyers set these policies. But it still ticks me off. My furniture and other stuff was worth more than my guns, as you mentioned.

When my Dad passed, the hospice nurse collected all of his meds, put them in a mason jar, and filled it with hot water and cat litter. I asked why she did that and her answer was that they used to just collect the drugs (like morphine) and the unused doses were put back in inventory and later prescribed to people who cannot afford medication. Like a food bank for expensive drugs. Criminals were following the hospice nurses on their routes, breaking into their cars to steal the drugs they collected when someone died. Thus, a new policy. Destroy perfectly good meds that someone in need could have used to reduce their pain and suffering.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Kids bought us a small Harbor freight safe. Boletd it to a closet wall, into studs.We keep the sliding doors closed and clothes hanging in front of the safe.
Opens w/ 4 numbers an a letter that you program into it for the combo.
Dnt have any guns in here but could. Keep some jewelry and $$ in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts