Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Super Carry came back from Kimber on Monday. According to the invoice they reamed & polished the barrel, adjusted the extractor & test fired 3 different types of ammo thru it.

I was able to visit the range with it yesterday.

I'm SUPER HAPPY to report that it was FLAWLESS with 100 rounds downrange!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks to Kimber, but more importantly - thanks to all the members on here (esp Mike240) who helped me troubleshoot it as well as have patience while it was misbehaving.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
LOL, you were misbehaving? LOL

Glad your baby is playing nice and you are a happy camper.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
How do you like shooting with those grips? Pretty nice, huh?

·
Administrator
40,100 Posts
Congratulations Chickadee, glad to hear your baby is running flawlessly.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you like shooting with those grips? Pretty nice, huh?
Didn't get to shoot with them yet. I need the thin bushings & screws for them. Just temporarily installed them with the longer screws so I could post some pics for you. :cool:

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Cool!!

Ain't it just like those guys at Kimber Customer Service to fix your problem!!! I hope my Pro Carry's ailment turns out to be just that one defective Chip McCormick magazine. I talked to the CMC folks yesterday and they are sending me two new 8 round Shooting Star mags. If the problem is cured, I'll be extremely happy (like you)!! :D:D:D

I'm still gonna shoot that defective magazine though!!! I may even toss the hard drive from my old computer into the target pile with the magazine. Both items will get what they deserve........death by firing squad!!! Font Electric blue Art Magenta Symmetry
Font Electric blue Art Magenta Symmetry

Reactions: Chickadee

·
Administrator
40,100 Posts

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
That Ain't Gonna Happen!!

Why not break it down and see if you can fix it?
Nope Chuck, that ain't gonna happen. The hard drive never had a problem. It is from my old computer with the Windows XP operating system, that Microsoft no longer supports. That is why I bought the new one with Windows 8. I pulled the hard drive and donated the computer to Good Will.

Now, I'm going to destroy the hard drive beyond recovery, with all my personal info on it! Gas Electric blue Font Event City
Gas Electric blue Font Event City

Reactions: Insta-Gator

·
Administrator
40,100 Posts

Why not break it down and see if you can fix it?
Nope Chuck, that ain't gonna happen. The hard drive never had a problem. It is from my old computer with the Windows XP operating system, that Microsoft no longer supports. That is why I bought the new one with Windows 8. I pulled the hard drive and donated the computer to Good Will.

Now, I'm going to destroy the hard drive beyond recovery, with all my personal info on it!
I meant the MAGAZINE, not the hard drive.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Just Pulling Your Leg!!

I meant the MAGAZINE, not the hard drive.
I pretty much had that figured out, but I could not resist pulling your leg. While I may pull that mag apart and check out the guts, I still think shooting it will be more fun!! After all, I called CMC and they are sending me two 8 round Shooting Star mags. Disassembling the mag with a bullet just seems like the right thing to do!!!

If those two new mags work out, I will be one mag ahead of the game!! Truthfully, I have never messed with mags. Smile Building Art Font Circle
Smile Building Art Font Circle
This is the first mag that has ever failed on me!! I went with a visual comparison of the offending mag with my other three and saw no difference that I could detect. Gesture Font Symmetry Pattern Electric blue
Gesture Font Symmetry Pattern Electric blue
I have no idea of where to start tinkering with the dang thing!! Font Art Symmetry Electric blue Pattern
Font Art Symmetry Electric blue Pattern

·
Registered
3,757 Posts

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
I pretty much had that figured out, but I could not resist pulling your leg. While I may pull that mag apart and check out the guts, I still think shooting it will be more fun!! After all, I called CMC and they are sending me two 8 round Shooting Star mags. Disassembling the mag with a bullet just seems like the right thing to do!!!

If those two new mags work out, I will be one mag ahead of the game!! Truthfully, I have never messed with mags. View attachment 1718 View attachment 1718 This is the first mag that has ever failed on me!! I went with a visual comparison of the offending mag with my other three and saw no difference that I could detect. View attachment 1719 View attachment 1719 I have no idea of where to start tinkering with the dang thing!! View attachment 1720 View attachment 1720
Start at the end of the barrel of your favorite firearm.....:cool:

·
Administrator
40,100 Posts
I have no idea of where to start tinkering with the dang thing!!
It may simply need a good cleaning or a spring replacement. It's very easy to break one down, it only takes seconds. Your best bet would be to check out one of the many videos on youtube that will take you through the process.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
*And now, back to our regularly scheduled thread...*

Chickadee, it's good to hear your Super Carry is running smooth and looking good. It is also good to know Kimber Customer Service delivers when needed.

I'm not sure I could (or would want to) find and piece together all the things you tried, so would you mind summing up what the problem turned out to be? Was it the ramp? Barrel? Extractor? All of those needing a bit of metal taken off?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
*And now, back to our regularly scheduled thread...*

Chickadee, it's good to hear your Super Carry is running smooth and looking good. It is also good to know Kimber Customer Service delivers when needed.

I'm not sure I could (or would want to) find and piece together all the things you tried, so would you mind summing up what the problem turned out to be? Was it the ramp? Barrel? Extractor? All of those needing a bit of metal taken off?
Summary:

Problem:
failure to chamber 1st round in a full mag (slide not fully forward, cartridge at slight angle & not fully caught by extractor)

Troubleshooting & Repairs:
Had others shoot the pistol - problem repeatable regardless of shooter
Tried different slide lube - no improvement
Kimber sent me a new recoil spring - no improvement
Kimber sent me a new mag - no improvement
Pistol sent back to Kimber - they reamed & polished the barrel, adjusted the extractor

Not sure if it was the barrel or the extractor, but something they did fixed it! Based on Mike240's assessment I would guess it was the extractor adjustment.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Summary:

Problem:
failure to chamber 1st round in a full mag (slide not fully forward, cartridge at slight angle & not fully caught by extractor)

Troubleshooting & Repairs:
Had others shoot the pistol - problem repeatable regardless of shooter
Tried different slide lube - no improvement
Kimber sent me a new recoil spring - no improvement
Kimber sent me a new mag - no improvement
Pistol sent back to Kimber - they reamed & polished the barrel, adjusted the extractor

Not sure if it was the barrel or the extractor, but something they did fixed it! Based on Mike240's assessment I would guess it was the extractor adjustment.
Thanks. Great summary.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts