Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
So 357mag being a stout cartridge in its own right, what is the K6S rated for as far as the heavy hardcast monsters? Not that I would want to shoot it in this relatively light pistol, just wondering how it stacks up with the Rugers as far as their ability to take about anything you can put together.

Thoughts? Facts?
I dunno...but shooting enough .357 to break that revolver will probably do permanent damage to your wrist.

Seriously, you should be fine with factory defense .357 loads.

If you are working up a hardcast, hot bear load, thats probably not the smartest choice of revolvers to shoot a box of 50 through.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Hmm... check the FAQ page...

Answers that sorta, not so sure there is a +P for 357 Mag. I suppose the bottom line is as you said @bad ninja .
That FAQ is specifically referencing .230grain FMJ .45acp in 1911 pistols (hence the recoil spring mention).
Has nothing to do with revolvers or .357.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
From the manual:

The manual has almost more warnings and cautions than regular information. :)

So, I will find two commercial loads for carry - one for SD and then one for camping/woods walking and other such activities. Of course, I suppose I could just use BB 158gr HC and call it good. Nah...
Those warnings are what lawyers require them to put in there, so they arent liable when some knucklehead shoots +P+ Hardcast bear loads in a snubby self defense revolver, and blows the cylinder out.
Use good judgement, especially when using hot ammo.

Now Im not gonna tell you how to carry your defense gear, but if you are in large bear country, that short barreled Kimber isnt the best tool for the job.

Reactions: Jflytle

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Actually, this whole thread was just a musing on how well the Kimber will hold up (like the magical Rugers) to use with heavy for caliber loads. Assuming pressures are all within spec, there should be no issues. That's my take anyway.

No, @bad ninja , I am not going to want to subject my body to the abuse of a hand cannon - I won't shoot 44Mag, but I will 45 Colt, nor do I want to intentionally hurt the K6S.

Musings, I would say out load, but, well, in print...

A .44 magnum out of a heavy Ruger super Blackhawk is easier on the wrist than .357 out of that Kimber.
My stainless 3 inch J frame is a handful with .357.
My Ruger SB in .44 is much more managable.
Rugers are heavy, which helps them absorb abuse and recoil better than guns that are built lighter for easier carry.

It's not magic.

Choose the right tool for the job and all....

Reactions: cousinmark

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
No brown bears, just coyotes and maybe some feral dogs, black bears, but they tend to wander off if no babies around, and they are not more interested in whatever some idiot left behind uncovered at their site.

I have shot the Ruger 44s, IIRC it was 6" or longer, I seem to remember longer, but you know how memory can be - last pickerel I caught was 42" inches, I'm tellin' ya!

For what ever reason, I did not like shooting the 44, and I as not comfortable doing so. Wasn't my thing. The 45C on the other hand, same frame, was fun and pleasurable. Same thing goes for 45/70 - I'll take a midrange weight/pressure 45/70 any day over a 30/06 loaded with 180gr or above, and I will be happy and satisfied with it. I am just [email protected](ked up that way. I can't shoot an auto loader pistol to save my butt, except two frames/models - almost any Bersa and a CZ, all DASA. Go figure.

I've said before, I think the world of my 4" stainless Security Six, it's just to heavy for me to want to carry. This K6S 3" is as close to perfect as I can imagine.

Here's the thing that stands out the most:
Your comfortable Kimber is designed for carry, and defense against soft 2 legged predators and targets, and factory .357 rounds are more than adequate.
Hardcast +P .357 is designed for larger targets where overpenetration isnt a concern.
Using HC in a self defense situation could end up with a bullet in a bystander who was behind your target.
Thats why many carry hollowpoints.
Hollow points tend to expand and stop in the target.

My advice would be to carry the Ruger with HCs in the woods and the Kimber with factory loads everywhere else.
Again, right tool for the job.

·
Registered
583 Posts
That FAQ is specifically referencing .230grain FMJ .45acp in 1911 pistols (hence the recoil spring mention).
Has nothing to do with revolvers or .357.
"Official +P pressures are established by the SAAMI for certain cartridges; in general the +P pressure is approximately 10% higher than the standard pressure (see chart below). SAAMI does not have a +P+ pressure standard, but this indicates a pressure higher than the +P loading, approximately 25% higher than the standard pressure."

The above is a quote regarding pressures from Wikipedia.

As an example, standard pressure on a .38 special load is around 20,000 psi. The .357 magnum load is pretty much double that 35,000 - 40,000. That's a lot of stress on any firearm and hand with repeated use.

There was a fella on the Ruger forum who bought a LCR357 and ran factory magnum rounds only thru it. Last I remember he was approaching 10,000 rounds with no ill effects. This was all done with standard issue grips. When asked about the effects of recoil he stated that he was a recoil junky that thrived on the added kick. To each their own.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
No brown bears, just coyotes and maybe some feral dogs, black bears, but they tend to wander off if no babies around, and they are not more interested in whatever some idiot left behind uncovered at their site.

I have shot the Ruger 44s, IIRC it was 6" or longer, I seem to remember longer, but you know how memory can be - last pickerel I caught was 42" inches, I'm tellin' ya!

For what ever reason, I did not like shooting the 44, and I as not comfortable doing so. Wasn't my thing. The 45C on the other hand, same frame, was fun and pleasurable. Same thing goes for 45/70 - I'll take a midrange weight/pressure 45/70 any day over a 30/06 loaded with 180gr or above, and I will be happy and satisfied with it. I am just [email protected](ked up that way. I can't shoot an auto loader pistol to save my butt, except two frames/models - almost any Bersa and a CZ, all DASA. Go figure.

I've said before, I think the world of my 4" stainless Security Six, it's just to heavy for me to want to carry. This K6S 3" is as close to perfect as I can imagine.
...for coyotes & feral dogs & city dogs - which chase & kill calves - I use .22/250 Hornady V-Max Super Performance Varmint 35 grain - does the job
...comparing a .45/70 to a .30-06 is odd to me; comparing different tools made for different jobs... ...I have and shoot both.... Ruger Number 1 22" barrel .45-70 - which is for close in work and higher pressure loads including 350 grain +P loads if you want to stop a water buffalo; Taylors & Company Billys Sharps 32" .45-70 Government - which is used to lob rounds at the targets on the Whittington Center High Power Rifle Silhouette Range including the White Buffalo Target (6' x 10' target at 1123 yards); M1903 .30-06 (which was rebuilt by MilTech Arms for me using all match grade components) shoots the same targets at the Whittington Center High Power Rifle Silhouette Range (range where the White Buffalo Target is)... ...but much different tools in my humble opinion....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Gun barrel

Air gun Wood Trigger Amber Rectangle

I live in bear country. When wandering through the woods, I’ll be carrying one of these:
-S&W Model 629….44 Magnum
-Ruger GP100….357 Magnum (hard cast for sure here)
-Ruger SR1911….10mm
The .44 gets the call most times.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
:alien:

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
@JAFM you asked for people's input and then you manifest arrogance when people give you advice. Piss off!
Troll making believe he is a Marine. Insult!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
I'm confused? What the hell happened to this thread?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I'm confused? What the hell happened to this thread?
I'm confused too.
I've been trying to be nice to the new members .
😇
Well...except the Samurai Commie Inventor guy.
But, in my defense, that was after we found out that he cant get us a deal on a Barrett.

Reactions: TroyAK
1 - 20 of 36 Posts