Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
Oh, I see. Didn't a whole bunch of your "Nice" posts get deleted?

I've been reading your posts and thinking how much of a blessing you are.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Oh, I see. Didn't a whole bunch of your "Nice" posts get deleted?

I've been reading your posts and thinking how much of a blessing you are.

I said "I'm trying".
I'm not really a "hugs and puppies" type, and I dont suffer fools very well, but I'm trying.:cool:

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I know this thread has run it's course but I'll add a PSA note on +P+ ammo. Like Argee mentioned there's no SAAMI spec for the ammo so you're potentially rolling the dice. That being said I know Buffalo Bore does have a list (it's short) of firearms that have been tested with their +P+ .44 Magnum offerings. They specifically note that using the little bombs in anything not listed is ill advised. They go on to mention that the product may be discontinued if customers disregard the recommendations.
As most all of us here are aware wildlife such as the critters mentioned generally get well out of our way before we see them. They hear, see or smell us and run. Who could blame them... On that note whistling if your alone as you hike through dense trail areas is a good idea in bear woods. Another option is to soak a bandanna with some cheap grocery store cologne. The nastier the better, Brute' comes to mind. Put the bandanna in a ziplock and if you find yourself in an iffy neck of the woods tie off on your backpack. Yes, it may spoil the fragrance of the woods but you'll give the locals a heads up that you're there.
That all being said I'm an advocate of being prepared. Here's my backpack gun, an old Ruger Super Blackhawk .44. I've never had to even draw her on an animal but it's always nice to know she's there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Here in the south, after a rough lesson, I always carry a handgun in the woods for hogs.
Years ago I walked into a group of piglets while walking to my deer stand with only a rifle.
Momma sow was not happy and quickly charged. I had no choice but to drop my rifle and climb a tree.
I spent quite some time hanging onto a limb looking at my rifle in the brush while a.mad sow paced around the tree.

Always carry in the woods.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Ninja, good lesson for sure.

Here, we've got bear, cougar, hogs and varmints like badgers. Anytime I'm in the woods, I'm carrying one of my .44's, usually my 3" Model 29 Classic in my El Paso OWB rig. Having a trusted .44 when needed is truly a comforting thing.

From experience, I know full well my hard cast Keith 250gr bullets will completely penetrate any living critter I'll encounter. If it'll go clean through a large mule deer weighing around 230 lbs. I have no worries about lacking power.

You may have seen my post about a large hog 'treeing' my buddy years ago. If he had had a .44 that day, I would not have been required to 'save the day' with my measly .22LR Colt Woodsman. .44's are much better for this kind of thing. ;)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
...was out checkin' fence about 1 mile from the house and noticed the cows (about 20 or so) acting squirrelly as all get out... ...grabbed the only gun I had in my farm truck at the time - a Ruger Single Six with 6 1/2" barrel in .17 HMR... ...as I walked through the cows, I suddenly came upon a very large knarly feral hog that stood higher than my knees at his shoulder... ...I thought about that huge hog and the itty bitty .17 HMR (with 17 grain Varmint Express rounds) bullets in my revolver... ...I acted the fool; hooting and hollering and jumping up and down... ...and the hog just stood there and looked at me... ...suddenly the hog turned his head and let me see the side of his head and the first 2 rounds went just behind his ear with the next 4 rounds going into his chest cavity... ...luckily the hog dropped where he stood...

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I haven't seen his hissy fit. From all the deleted posts, I'm not sure ignore would make it that much more ambiguous in here.

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
555 Posts
I haven't seen his hissy fit. From all the deleted posts, I'm not sure ignore would make it that much more ambiguous in here.
@bad ninja copied most of his posts to reply to them, so you can read most of them. The surly ones were deleted before anyone copied them. The whiny little bitch ones remain.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Yeah, I read the quotes and still couldn't make heads or tails of what the big issue was. On the other hand, if I cared more I may...or would have been following along earlier at least. From what I've seen he's not even close to the biggest troll currently stomping around under our bridge.

Reactions: 2sharp2
21 - 36 of 36 Posts