Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
39,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's Friday night, and we've seen true justice done today. In celebration of Kyle's win, I'm cracking the seal on a bottle of Russell's, 10-year-old single barrel. Cheers my friends.
Liquid Bottle Glass bottle Barware Fluid

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
So, this is the fourth time this whisk(e)y season that I've come home with something new after saying I'm not buying anything else this year. It just seemed too ridiculous, and my curiosity was just too strong. Inspired by Chuck's favorable experience, I now find myself sitting here with the silliest bourbon I've ever gambled on. I'll say this: I've paid a lot more for bourbon that wasn't nearly as drinkable...

Bottle Cabinetry Liquid Drinkware Countertop

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
For Kirkland, a "small batch" means seven Olympic sized swimming pools.

Earlier in the week I was at Costco. And I'll admit that I buy Maker's when I'm feeling frugal. This time they had Maker's 101 and Maker's 46. I opted for the 46, which is definitely a better product than their standard.

·
Administrator
39,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Considering what the Kirkland brand costs, I thought it was a lot better than some of the cheaper name brand bourbons I've sampled.

Reactions: RustyIron

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Indeed. Normally I wouldn't bother trying something under $30. Mrs. Bear even used it to whip up a Manhattan- and while it's no Tuthilltown Spirits Rye, I wouldn't hesitate to double blind a Manhattan aficionado with a cocktail from each for shits an' giggles to see which they prefer.

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Sitting here in front of the fire, watching Justified and sipping the Samurai Scientist. This is what I call a nearly perfect moment...

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Administrator
39,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you ever run across a bottle of Beer Barrel Bourbon, I'd suggest you give it a try. It's made by a local distillery in Holland, Mi. and sells for about $30.00. It's a light 40% ABV, that is surprisingly smooth and has just a hint of sweetness to it.

Bottle Drinkware Tableware Barware Glass bottle

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Hm. Doesn't look familiar, but there's a lot out there and I haven't been looking...yet.

·
Administrator
39,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They make a great stout they call Dragon's Milk then use the old barrels to age the bourbon.

Reactions: Jflytle

·
Administrator
39,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I miss the Binny's chain of liquor stores (45) in Illinois, there is nothing like that here in Michigan. They say, "If you can’t find it at Binny’s, it’s probably not worth drinking".

Reactions: Jflytle

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
We have two large chains here. The first to come along was Bevmo. There's one in every town. It's a huge store with all the alcohol you could want at great prices. Then came along Totalwine. There are only a few stores, but they're GIANT. They have something for even the most particular connoisseurs... and their prices are great. I don't like to make special trips, so last time I was at Costco I got a Herradura tequila. Herradura isn't the best, but they make a solid product. They had an añejo ultra. It was a clear tequila, but it was ULTRA, so I got it. Y'know what? You can call it ultra, super, turbo, or any other superlative, but it's still colorless and insipid. Colorless tequilas are fine for a ****** margarita, but for sippin', I need something more.

Edit:
It appears that the Kimbertalk Sensitivity Nanny has censored my crude language. In regards to the margarita, my descriptor was intended to indicate a person who lives north of the border, whose skin color is more like the Herradura Ultra, and whose taste palate prefers flavors less robust than the traditional. I hope I didn't offend anyone's delicate sensibilities.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I have to balance your criticism of blanco tequila in general with the fact that you think Herradura is a solid product. It's kind of like saying Datsun made a solid pickup truck for towing equipment around,, so you bought one and concluded pickup trucks suck for towing equipment.

Regardless: we have a Bevmo, it's great. We also have a couple Total Wines, they're better. Easily in my top 3 around here. We don't have any Binny's. One of the great aspects of driving all over the state for a living is that- as long as my current mission isn't an emergency- if I can wait a few days for something I seldom need to make a special trip anywhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts