Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the guys that reload you can use this thread to post in. If it proves popular I'll see if I can get a separate sub forum for reloading.

Reactions: Oklahomabound

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Sounds like a plan. I'm sure there are newbies who have questions and old hands with info. We can all learn something from each other.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Okay I can agree to that even though I like The loading bench title better:D

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I compromised Tom, I changed it to the Reloading Bench.
Thanks Chuck you did not have compromise but I like the Title good job!

Reactions: PaulWVa

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Ok, I’ll start. What brand of powder do you guys use for short barreled 9mm pistols?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have tried Unique, Red dot(promo), WW 231, and CFE Pistol.

It depends on what you want.

I can't get over 900 fps for a 147 no matter which powder I use, but have had some good luck with Unique for Velocity.

Have not chronographed any SD loads yet.

I know Remington Factory 115 FMJ gets 1200 out of my daughters full size Kimber 1911 in 9mm and 1030 out of my Micro 9. Some powders only lost 80 fps.

I did a lot of chronograph with lead. I just bought a few 125 FMJ to try out. These will get Unique or CFE pistol. Going to load 25 with a max load of Promo 4.6 gr (Red dot) to see what they do.

So far 4.5 Promo with a Powder coated 125 Round nose @ 1.145" has been my most accurate at 1057 fps.

Gun is still new, only 850 rounds through it.

I am looking for a shooting load, not a Hi speed Blaster. They are easy to make but hurt my hand and hard to shoot accurately. Going to try shooting pins with this gun.

It seems to like 124s better than 115. 147 is still out, I have not shot many.

Velocity wise, my best loads so far are 5.5 unique or 5.2 CFE Pistol both for 1160 fps.

I have 124 and 147 factory remington to chrono next along with my hand loads.

The problem is, this micro 9 makes me want a full size kimber.
I have lots of other guns, and load for all of them.

David

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
Great idea for a thread and I will be following it closely. I live in a condo for at least the next year or so and when my daughter graduates from college I will be buying a house once again. I had a great workbench in my garage at my last house, but never gave reloading a thought. I just pray that my o.c.d and my a.d.d doesn't hinder my attempt to become a reloader.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I was a bullseye guy for years and then I thought I’d try HP-38. It burns cleaner than bullseye but it looks like 20% of the powder burns after the bullet leaves the short barrel pistols I shoot. Short barrel is 4” or shorter.

Has anyone ever tried Clays? I read somewhere it is a real fast burning powder.

·
Registered
55 Posts
HP-38 is the same as WW-231.

My max loads with the 231 were not much. Nosler shows a max load of 4.6 for a 124 JHP. I tried it with coated lead and got 1057 fps.

With 115 Lead powder coated, I got 980 fps for 4.5 grains and 1030 for a max of 5.0 grains WW231. Oal is 1.150. Great plinking round and both worked the action, but nothing spectacular. Don't forget, 3.1" micro 9. I may have 5" results if I look.

Used up a pound of clays on 38s and 45s last year. It worked fine for low pressure rounds. Don't know how it would work for 9mm. I am out of it.

Have not tired Bullseye in the 9mm yet, been using Promo, I had an 8 lb jug. Its almost gone.
I have Bullseye. Just have not got to it yet.

David

1 - 20 of 101 Posts