Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, you all know what a Custom Crimson Carry II looks like, but just in case you need a refresher ....

kimber-1911-custom-crimson-carry-ii.gif

After trying to shoot with the laser a few times at the range I've decided buying a gun with laser grips was a mistake (for me.) I'm not bashing Crimson Trace. I'm just saying I don't shoot well with the laser and have more confidence in the night sights. So, now I want to dress up Kim a little.

I prefer something with texture, but if anyone has experience shooting with grips that are smooth, yet attractive, I'm open to suggestion.

VZ Grips seems to top my list, but I can't make up my mind.

Anyone use Gun Goddess grips? They look awfully smooth. Not sure how I'd feel about that since Kim doesn't have any checkering on the front strap.

Would grip tape on the front strap and nice replacement grips look tacky?

Bottom line, I'm looking for suggestions for a two tone full size Kimber. Please be specific about both manufacture and specific grip you choose to recommend.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I agree about the crimson trace - seemed like a great idea when we bought our Sig C3, but after a few trips to the range we both agreed to change out the grips & remove the crimson trace. To each their own.

Anyway, here's my suggestion for new grips for Kim https://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/1911/double-diamond/double-diamond-tiger-stripe-g10

I have a couple pairs of VZ grips - really like them. I don't like smooth grips myself, but don't like the super aggressive sandpaper stuff either!

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I agree about the crimson trace - seemed like a great idea when we bought our Sig C3, but after a few trips to the range we both agreed to change out the grips & remove the crimson trace. To each their own.

Anyway, here's my suggestion for new grips for Kim https://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/1911/double-diamond/double-diamond-tiger-stripe-g10

I have a couple pairs of VZ grips - really like them. I don't like smooth grips myself, but don't like the super aggressive sandpaper stuff either!
I really like those. Very traditional look, with a moderate looking texture. Just enough black to bring out the slide. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If anyone wants to get creative with the grip concept, I was also entertaining a complete two-tone look, using black or black/gray grips. Would that be too much? Too 'blah' for my first Kimber?

Don't be afraid to get creative with your suggestions, but give it some thought first. ;)

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks, Jeff. I hadn't seen that site. While looking, I was thinking the black/green with in the Gator Burst might look good with my new KG's Holster.

This could get expensive.... again.

Reactions: Marshall

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
I have put off buying a new firearm for awhile until I find out the cost of college for my daughter..
BUT....I have been adding new grips for each of my boyz just to give them a different look and to make sure they are proud of the way they look when they come out to play...:D

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grips are cheaper than guns, that's for sure.

Reactions: Marshall

·
Super Moderator
38,381 Posts
If you like VZ grips check out Raasco grips they make a similar product at about the same price with some additional colors. For a good set of hand made grips you have to check out thefinergrain.com. I have bought grips from each of these companies and will recommend any one of them.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yeah, Raasco has a good selection. I'd definitely check them out. That is where I bought my Ebony grips that I have on my stainless PC II. As for smooth grips, I have smooth on both of my Kimbers and personally, I like them. I found the aggressive textured ones irritating on my right, non-trigger fingers. And I have no trouble holding on to a gun. I think the "need" for checkering is a little over stated.

Perhaps exotic woods are too fancy or not the look you want, but Adam Brown (Brown's Custom Grips) has a lot of pictures of grips on guns, including 3 or 4 black slide two tones. I really like wood that is smooth vs. checkered, but that's a very subjective thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
For something a little more unusual, check out sgmgrips. They have some exotic woods, including a sunburst cut alas Wilson Combat. That would look very sharp with your black over silver two tone. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The most unusual, yet inexpensive grip maker I've seen is in Viet Nam. They have grips made from water buffalo horn. Very pretty. Very unusual.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Desert Ironwood looks really nice.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For something a little more unusual, check out sgmgrips. They have some exotic woods, including a sunburst cut alas Wilson Combat. That would look very sharp with your black over silver two tone. ;)
Yes, it would. Very nice.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You knew I'd be all over this thread.

Fusion Firearms sells a lot of accessories, including grips. If you are concerned about grip...they have these rubber wrap-around, black checked grips.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also from fusion. Not ugly!
Yes, I knew you'd want to play in this sandbox. :)

No rubber grips, though. Not a fan of rubber grips (said the man wearing a polymer gun. :) )

Reactions: PorscheVille

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Lazza's Monkey Grips is good for some that look a bit more modern or high tech.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yes, I knew you'd want to play in this sandbox. :)

No rubber grips, though. Not a fan of rubber grips (said the man wearing a polymer gun. :) )
You know I like black with silver, but with the black slide...it seems like something with some color would be good. I guess that's why I like the look of the exotic woods grips with the black/silver. Very pretty combination. But you know, that is like picking out a shirt for someone else. You like stripes, somebody else likes Hawaiian....

1 - 20 of 70 Posts