Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we have little formal supervision on the forum how about if all just take a moment to remind one another when we're getting off subject in a thread. No harm, no foul just a friendly reminder that a change of subject might be better in it's own thread. It will make things a lot easier down the road when your trying to find that post on a firing pin spring in a magazine thread.

·
Super Moderator
38,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the rate that this forum is growing trying to find something you read last month is going to be impossible if we continue to allow threads to go off topic. I'm on forums where the search feature is useless because of all the cross posting. What's the sense of having a database of experience and knowledge if you can't find anything in it. I'm not asking anyone to get nasty when a thread is going off topic, just politely suggest that maybe the post would better serve everyone if it were in it's own thread. Members can delete their own posts as long as they are not the start of a thread.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Makes sense to me. I just don't think it will happen.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Yeah, it happens when people get chatty and one comment leads to another. Good for forum morale and growth, but does skew the data. A friendly reminder to return to topic should not be considered offensive.

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Super Moderator
5,192 Posts
This needs to come back to the top. Let's try not to stray to far from Chucks suggestions!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I agree. I've enjoyed and contributed to some of the topics getting sidetracked. However, being a new Kimber (and 1911) owner, the technical threads are helpful to me and easier to find if they stay on topic.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Yea like he said. No cats in the dog thread! Haha

·
Registered
260 Posts
Since we have little formal supervision on the forum how about if all just take a moment to remind one another when we're getting off subject in a thread. No harm, no foul just a friendly reminder that a change of subject might be better in it's own thread. It will make things a lot easier down the road when your trying to find that post on a firing pin spring in a magazine thread.

Bringing this back to the top, it is getting pretty bad again and no one seems to care, even the new member threads are getting hijacked.
There are certain members who are so chatty with BS you have to go all the back to the OP to realize what was posted, getting old......

I am probably guilty too,
Just sayin!

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
Bringing this back to the top, it is getting pretty bad again and no one seems to care, even the new member threads are getting hijacked.
There are certain members who are so chatty with BS ....

Just sayin!
Guilty as charged but...{Chatty with BS??}..One's BS is another's conversation...Maybe a we do get off subject from time to time and need to remind one another when we do.As far as the "Chatty BS" statement...I will quote my father and say"If ya don't like the channel all ya have to do is change it."
Now I will take my chatty ass and log off to go watch some basketball and get my Irish blood to stop boiling..
JUST SAYING....

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Seems there is a tendency to be conversationally friendly, but that's what I like about the forum. If there is a thread that is of a specific technical theme, yep, it should stay on topic. But after two or three screens of legitimate replies, there's probably not much left to say, so the conversation tends to stray.

Try going to a party or a bar and telling folk to stay on topic or move now a chair. :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
38,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are certain members who are so chatty with BS you have to go all the back to the OP to realize what was posted, getting old......

Just sayin!
Thanks for bringing it back up Josey, I'm just as guilty of it as the next guy, all it takes is for one post in a thread to go off track and the others will follow. Unfortunately this is something 1 or 2 guys can't fix by themselves it's going to take everyone posting to remember to keep their reply's relevant to the OP. I'm going to make a serious effort to try and correct this.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Reactions: 2sharp2

·
Super Moderator
38,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And this is why I started this thread: http://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/of...ad-about-nothing-particular-72.html#post11781

But, if people start to feel they are being regulated too much for the sake of thread purity, they'll go elsewhere. I've seen it happen.
Your thread is one of the most popular on the forum you will find me frequently posting in it, it serves a purpose. So do the other sub forums, I'm not looking to over regulate anything but we have to maintain a semblance of order. If people have a problem with it and I'm sure there will be some there is nothing keeping them here. I'd hate to see anyone go but you can't please all the people all the time.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Your thread is one of the most popular on the forum you will find me frequently posting in it, it serves a purpose. So do the other sub forums, I'm not looking to over regulate anything but we have to maintain a semblance of order. If people have a problem with it and I'm sure there will be some there is nothing keeping them here. I'd hate to see anyone go but you can't please all the people all the time.
Well, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I'll try to police myself, but if I get too carried away, you let me know. I'll just move on without a stink.

·
Super Moderator
38,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All I want to do is start posting reminders when I find a thread going off track and I'd appreciate if everyone here would help with this. I'm not looking to bring the wrath of the gods down on anyone just help keep the threads on track, is that asking too much?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Guilty as charged but...{Chatty with BS??}..One's BS is another's conversation...Maybe a we do get off subject from time to time and need to remind one another when we do.As far as the "Chatty BS" statement...I will quote my father and say"If ya don't like the channel all ya have to do is change it."
Now I will take my chatty ass and log off to go watch some basketball and get my Irish blood to stop boiling..
JUST SAYING....
My apology's to all, I am guilty too! It is just a reminder.
I apologize for the "Chatty with BS" comment as I do not intend to offend, but just think about who may be offended by coming here as a new member, creating a new thread and watching it take on a completely different life of its own. if I am in the minority that feels this way, you sir are right, all that I and others need to do is change the channel.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts