Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been asked, but are there any after market threaded barrel for kimber micro 9mm? They have a model with a compensator, why aren't they and threaded barrels and compensators available for purchase separately for those of us that already have micro 9mms? Logically you would think that they would want to sell them and make $$$

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The Micro9 with the comp is a relatively new model.
I agree, though.
A threaded barrel for the Micro 9 would make it a neat little supressor host.
Perfect tuxedo gun combo for the American James Bond types.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Micro9 with the comp is a relatively new model.
I agree, though.
A threaded barrel for the Micro 9 would make it a neat little supressor host.
Perfect tuxedo gun combo for the American James Bond types.
Hopefully they will start selling the threaded barrels and compensators soon, the little compensator just adds a little coolness factor to it...like custom grips. Majority of all holsters sold for micros and subcompacts are open on the bottom so if you do add a comp to them it still works and you don't have to buy a new holster.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Hopefully they will start selling the threaded barrels and compensators soon, the little compensator just adds a little coolness factor to it...like custom grips. Majority of all holsters sold for micros and subcompacts are open on the bottom so if you do add a comp to them it still works and you don't have to buy a new holster.
Someone will surely buy it.
Adding the compensator the overall length kinda defeats the entire purpose of a micro sized pistol.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Seems to me a can on the end of a Micro 9 might feel a little imbalanced.

I have seen very short suppressors made for smaller pocket pistols like the Beretta Tomcat/Bobcat type pistols, but never a 9mm suppressor I would consider diminutive enough to work well with a Micro 9.

Yes, I said diminutive in a gun forum. :) Forgive me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
To each their own... but purchasing micro-size carry guns then hanging things off the muzzle and dangling long mags from the grip never made a lot of sense to me... that's what larger frame guns are for.
Good point. My Micro 9 with a 7-round TacMag is the same height as the Ultra Carry I'm saving my nickels for. The overall length is only about 3/4-inch shorter, adding a mini-compensator would make the longer than the UC. There's about 10 ounces weight difference and I could, I guess, make it smaller with a flush, 6-round mag, but those aren't much of an advantage when compared to a magazine full of .45 rounds in the UC.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Not throwing stones here but must ask a basic question.....exactly what would be the intended use of a Micro 9 with a suppressor hanging off it?

It's then too long for concealed carry, not suitable for actual target work, wrong platform for varmints, and not 'holster suitable'.

Other than "wet work", I just cannot see any valid purpose or use for this application. What am I missing save for just the cool factor for the tacticool crowd? Some of us use suppressed pistols out the truck window when in the outback for varmints, but not a Micro 9 in sight.

I can think of a bunch of suppressor-friendly pistols, but the Micro 9? Not so much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Someone will surely buy it.
Adding the compensator the overall length kinda defeats the entire purpose of a micro sized pistol.
But it's still smaller than most, 1 extra inch or 1 & 1/2 isn't going to make a difference, especially on a big guy. I just like the way it looks.. purpose doesn't matter nothing is written in stone.
Suppressed rimfire... now you're talking!

View attachment 130435
Is that a built in the barrel supressor or a really short threaded barrel with an external supressor. I have a mark iv that I would like to get the built in the barrel supressor for. I was talking to a gunsmith and he said that the built in version is better but make sure that you get one that's easily disassembled for cleaning.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
^^^^^ It's a Mark III Talo edition with a Silencerco Sparrow suppressor.

This is the gun as new. Ruger 10154. 4in threaded barrel. 4in is about the sweet spot for suppressed shooting. It will reliably cycle standard velocity and shoot most high velocity ammo subsonic.

Pic plucked off the Net

Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger Metal

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool, I originally bought 10" stainless mark iv, then bought a 5.5" threaded upper off Volquartsen clearance and then down the road got a LLV-4 6" w/comp with competition bolt from Volquartsen clearance too. Saved a bundle getting from clearance. I figured just get another upper with supressor basically it's going to cost the same as an external supressor plus mark iv uppers are easily changed 😎

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
^^^^ VQ is top shelf. Very nice.

Ruger has a lot of rimfire pistol offerings in about every threaded barrel configuration imaginable. The new Mark IV, which is a breeze to break down, is offered in a similar configuration to my Mark III. Though, the lower rail is a bit much (removable) and I don't need irons for my recreation range use. Of course when I purchased my III the IV wasn't available, but I'd go with the IV today if I wanted a new one.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
But it's still smaller than most, 1 extra inch or 1 & 1/2 isn't going to make a difference, especially on a big guy. I just like the way it looks.. purpose doesn't matter nothing is written in stone.
You are right about purpose.
I have a ton of guns with no real purpose 😅.

That said, the comp makes it the size of the Ultra Carry, which is a much better gun.
More reliable, true 1911, and comes in god's caliber.

·
Registered
🎖USMC, Retired
95 Posts
While certainly NOT practical for concealment or anything like real range/target use, here are my two examples of the topic: my Sig Sauer P938 Legion w/ threaded barrel and my Sig Sauer P365 XL w/ threaded barrel, each hosting my SilencerCo Omega 9K suppressor...
Black Wood Line Font Automotive tire
Wood Gas Automotive tire Metal Auto part

As stated, not entirely practical and only really functional with 147gr 9mm ammo. Nice for looking cool on the range, and the 365 XL is in my HD nightstand pistol rotation with the S.Co Omega 9K can. Good maneuverability in halls for HD while taking care of hearing if necessary (Heaven forbid)...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I could be wrong, I often am. Here may be three of them.

A nightstand pistol need not be a micro.
It could be a three pound Star Megastar
with 13 rounds of .45 ACP.

There is no need for a suppressed self-defense pistol.
Loud gunshots might help drive away attackers
and summon help.

Suppressed pistols would only be of interest to assassins.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Umm. No. That's the kind of baseless thinking that got suppressors regulated in the first place. The same group of genius politicians in the mid-1930s thought restricting the food supply would end the great depression, and banning alcohol was good. Whoops! Too bad people starved and prohibition fueled the growth of organized crime that took law enforcement the next 50 years to get under control.

When you shoot any gun in a closed space with no ear protection, your hearing is dramatically affected. So you better make that first shot count and hope there's only one perpetrator because you won't hear the second one coming even if he's riding a Harley with straight pipes thru your front door.

Attitudes about suppressors in Europe and other counties like Australia or New Zealand are the opposite of the US. Gun laws are draconian over there, as we all know, but nobody gives a rip about suppressors. They're less regulated - in some cases not at all - and generally encouraged. In some countries, hunting requires suppressors, and you can buy a suppressor over the counter—no registration or tax. You can also make them in your garage without any need for permission.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I could be wrong, I often am. Here may be three of them.

A nightstand pistol need not be a micro.
It could be a three pound Star Megastar
with 13 rounds of .45 ACP.

There is no need for a suppressed self-defense pistol.
Loud gunshots might help drive away attackers
and summon help.

I agree.
You are wrong.
On all three counts

1. Your nightstand gun is extremely important, and you need to be very proficient with it.
If you need to use it, it will be inside your home where your family sleeps, not at some range with safety protocols.

2. Like Joe Biden said "just rack the shotgun and they will run"?
Summon help? Should I hide and hope they come quickly?
Fuck that. See number 1.
My HD gun is a .300 blackout AR pistol loaded with subsonics. I'd rather have the advantage, and be able to hear bad guy number two rather than "Reeeeeeee..."

3. Why do you hate your ears?
Ever touched off a round inside a hallway?
Obviously not.

If the draconian government didn't require a year long wait and $200 tax stamp, every gun I own would have a can, including my CCW.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts