Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm new to this board, and need some help. I was installing Truglo TG231K night sights on my Custom II and ran into a problem with the rear sight. The original fixed sight that came with the Custom II came off easily, but the new Truglo sights don't seem to go on smoothly. The dovetail on the new sight is being "cut into" to fit onto the slide. I don't think this is supposed to be normal.

I'm using a MGW Sight Pro to install the sights from right to left. The Truglo set is Kimber fixed sight specific. Here is a picture of what's happening with the sight (bottom). Any advice on what to do?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't really see what's going on in the picture. I know I usually end up doing some filing whenever I changed out the plastic sights with metal ones on my Glocks. I've never experienced one of those simple 2 minute sight swaps like you see on YouTube. My conspiracy theory is that those vids are produced by gunsmiths so people like myself have to use their services after we break something, lol.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
I'm no expert but I just started replacing my own sights. A lot of new sights need to be fitted. You need to use a sanding block or a file and take some material off the bottom of the sight until the angle is correct. This video may help. It's not a 1911 but it's the same concept.

·
Administrator
40,776 Posts
Welcome to the forum dvsdev, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
Welcome to the site from Tennessee.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm no expert but I just started replacing my own sights. A lot of new sights need to be fitted. You need to use a sanding block or a file and take some material off the bottom of the sight until the angle is correct. This video may help. It's not a 1911 but it's the same concept.

Correct. Usually some small amount of material needs to be removed from the new sights. A triangle file can be found at the hardware store and can be useful. I've seen this video before, when I got my first (of many) Dawson sights. To the OP, never file on the slide!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not running anywhere near safety hardware. I added another picture showing the area where the material is being removed from the sight. It looks like this sight needs to be fitted on the Kimber.

Thanks for the video and comments. I guess I was lucky enough to have 6 Glocks not needing any fitting. My last and newest Glock night sight install went wrong right before this Kimber. I know the reason why now!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I stone the bottom of my new sights to get them to fit right. It doesn't matter if you start them from left to right or right to left, so if you mic both ends of the dovetail of the new sight usually one end is slightly wider than the other end. So I always start the new sight in on the shorter side first.

·
Registered
103 Posts
believe it or not I had the same problem while installing mine on the Kimber Custom II, and my Stainless model. I just took a small flat file and gave it a few swipes, and it just zipped right in. Be sure to install the little spring and ball back in so the safety works. It will shoot out if you are not watching it. Good luck. Hey I finally remembered how to insert a picture

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.