Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who own one, what do you like best about it?

I only own three 1911s, none of them Kimbers, so I'm not really familiar with the platform.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I carry an Ultra Carry II in 45 acp everyday.

It's a 1911, that is small enough to CCW and comes in Gods own caliber.
It is extremely reliable, accurate, and probably the best 3 inch 1911 made today.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Humm, as a 1911, what's NOT to like about it?

Just joshin', I have two, one in nine, the other in .45 of course.
The .45 is the smallest big bore I'll carry. Night sights and a great trigger make it one of my favorites. I've also got a Super Carry Ultra + .45, and it's a close second, but the Ultra CDP is even smaller with the Officer's grip frame.
Light with the alloy frame, easy to conceal with the 3" upper.
One quality leather IWB rig fits all three pistols.

I know you're asking about the Ultra Carry, but this is basically the same pistol.
If you own three other 1911's, nothing new here except the concept of a great little carry .45 that is accurate, and by my experience, goes bang every time. My three Ultra's are my basic carry battery, depending only on my intended carry location and perceived threat level.....and my mood that day. ;)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Thanks.
Did you leave the sights stock?
Yes.
Mine has the factory green fiber optic front sight and solid black rear.
The Ultra comes with red fiber optic installed amd extra red and green rods.
You can swap the rods in 2 minutes with nail clippers and a lighter.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts

I only own three 1911s, none of them Kimbers, so I'm not really familiar with the platform.
I have "7" different flavors of Ultra model/size Kimber 1911's. 1. Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm previous owner installed green FO front sight, plain black rear, I added Crimson Trace Red laser grip. 2. Sapphire Ultra 9mm factory night sights. 3. SIS Ultra .45 Steel frame, night sights. 4. Stainless Raptor Ultra .45 night sights. 5. CDP Ultra .45 night sights, I added Crimson Trace Green laser grips. 6. RCP Ultra .45 Trench Sight, I added Crimson Trace Green laser grips. 7. Super Carry Ultra Plus .45, round heel frame (full size), night sights, I added Crimson Trace Green laser grips.

For two years (I think) now the Super Carry Ultra Plus 45 has been my EDC, I carried the CDP or RCP as EDC for a long time and they still see service when my mood or destination dictates.

EASY TO CARRY IN A LEATHER OWB or IWB HOLSTER!!

What I like best? They are all accurate, reliable, concealable, have thug stopping power in a nice package. And look damn good at a BBQ!

BOOM! Mike drop...

·
Registered
473 Posts

I have it in 9mm. I love it reliable,accurate & easy to conceal. I just changed the sights to Truglo Pro TFX

Attachments

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Even in bright sunshine the Green laser can be picked up quickly and I can see it very well and I don't have 20 year old eyes anymore. Red is not even close, I mean you can see it but not as well as green.
That's why early on in this addiction I either replaced or added Green laser to any pistol that I carry for defense.

·
Administrator
38,881 Posts
My EDC for the last 7 years has been an Ultra Tactical II in .45. It's had thousands of rounds fired through it without giving me a single problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just have 1 UC II two tone in 45, all stock except i am currently making a set of smooth grip panels, the stock checkering iritates my side.

Reactions: JC45 and bad ninja

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I just have 1 UC II two tone in 45, all stock except i am currently making a set of smooth grip panels, the stock checkering iritates my side
That's the reason all my carry pistols have smooth G10 grips. No more ruined shirts or sweaters, car or truck upholstery, no more abrasions on my 'man-flub' either.

Checkering: Great for the range or 'wet combat'.
Smooth: Best for actually carrying for any length of time.

JMO

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Bottom line any flavor of Ultra will get the job done. No right or wrong choice, we all have different tastes, pick the style you like.

The CDP Ultra was the very first Kimber 1911 that I bought so it will always retain a special place around here.

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Considering current availability, what commercial .45 ammo do you guys prefer?
Defense ammo I’m assuming. For me it’s 230 grain HST, Ranger or Golden Sabre in that order.
Practice ammo? Whatever goes bang and doesn’t cause a feeding problem or is too dirty.
I handload 230 grain ball and 185 grain SWC projectiles that run in all my 1911’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 87 Posts