Kimber Talk Forums banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Administrator
38,881 Posts
The gun in the photo is a Kimber Ultra Two Tone, the slide is correctly marked Ultra Carry II. You can check it out on Kimbers website. It's a great gun, I have a Two Tone Custom (5") that I converted to .450 Rowland.

Reactions: Oklahomabound

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
The gun in the Academy photo is marked Ultra Carry II on the slide.
Is the gun they are actually selling different from the photo?
I am really ignorant about 1911 platforms, the round trip drive is two hours and I may not recognize the differences even after I get there.
You won't know until you drive there and look at the pistol!
Whatever model it turns out to be you will know what it is when you look at the "model name" stamped underneath the ejection port. All Ultra's have the same factory internal parts, just different looks, all stainless, two-tone, all black, plain sights, night sights, ambi-safety, checkering. etc.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
My ignorance is showing.
Are you saying that the Ultra two-tones ARE Ultra Carry II?
That they are the same gun?
Yes, thats what Chuck is saying. This is a "Stainless Ultra Carry" and because of Chuck I also have a Two-Tone Custom that's converted to .460 Rowland. No matter what the sale ad, sales person, or internet says: the actual model of the pistol of Kimber's is always stamped underneath the ejection port of the slide.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
"You won't know until you drive there and look at the pistol!"

And I won't know after I look either. I only own three 1911s and am not familiar with all the variations from all the manufacturers.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
"Listening and reading with understanding are a learned skill..."

That's true. It has been 60 years since mine was last tested. Back then my reading comprehension tested at 98% at 2200 words per minute and 92% at 3500 words per minute. It is probably less now.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
"This is a "Stainless Ultra Carry" and"

Thanks. It was bothering me that on the website it was NOT listed as a Carry, and I am not yet familiar enough with the Kimber variations to recognize whether that omission was inadvertent or intentional. In other words, whether it was a different gun from a Carry.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Oklahoma, as an aside, I hadn't thought about reading speed or comprehension in decades. Thinking back on it, I remember that to make an A on a literature test, I had to spend about 20 to 22 minutes reading the average length novel, about 4.7 seconds per page. Now at age 79, I am quite sure it would take me a few minutes longer.... 😀

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
"You won't know until you drive there and look at the pistol!"

And I won't know after I look either. I only own three 1911s and am not familiar with all the variations from all the manufacturers.
Come on man, we have already told you what and where to look. Makes no difference if you own ZERO 1911's surely you can understand the information we are posting. We can't make it any clearer.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
"This is a "Stainless Ultra Carry" and"

Thanks. It was bothering me that on the website it was NOT listed as a Carry, and I am not yet familiar enough with the Kimber variations to recognize whether that omission was inadvertent or intentional. In other words, whether it was a different gun from a Carry.
I suggest you spend some time reading about and checking out the different model versions of 1911's on the Kimber Firearm website. OR get a old school paper catalog a lot of the big box and even small gun shops give them out for free, they may keep them behind the counter so you might have to ask for it.
If you call Kimber customer service and ask they will mail you a catalog!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
"I suggest you spend some time reading about and checking out the different model versions of 1911's on the Kimber Firearm website. OR get a old school paper catalog a lot of the big box and even small gun shops give them out for free"

Why? This is gonna be my fourth and last 1911. Next in line for me is a used 3-screw Super Blackhawk to replace the one that was stolen. After that, a Uberti 1862 Pocket Police converted to .380 acp. I may also convert a fourth Airweight J-frame to 9mm or get the new Tisas replacement for their BR9.

·
Administrator
38,881 Posts
If you want an Ultra Kimber just pick one you like, they are all the same on the inside. It's the cosmetics that make up the different models and price.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
My ignorance is showing.
Are you saying that the Ultra two-tones ARE Ultra Carry II?
That they are the same gun?
Alot of Kimber different models are just cosmetic differences.
An Ultra Carry II two tone is the same as my Ultra Carry II stainless, with a different colored slide.
"I suggest you spend some time reading about and checking out the different model versions of 1911's on the Kimber Firearm website. OR get a old school paper catalog a lot of the big box and even small gun shops give them out for free"

Why? This is gonna be my fourth and last 1911. Next in line for me is a used 3-screw Super Blackhawk to replace the one that was stolen. After that, a Uberti 1862 Pocket Police converted to .380 acp. I may also convert a fourth Airweight J-frame to 9mm or get the new Tisas replacement for their BR9.
Because thats the best way tonlearn the differences between Kimber 1911 models.

Oh and just skip the Tisas BR9.
By the time you change out the barrel and other parts needed to make it run, you could have just added a hundred bucks or so to the budget and picked up a used Browning High Power.
Tisas makes an okay 1911 but their High power clones suck.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts

WHY?? What the fuck man...so your not a total dumbass at the gun shop.

It appears to me we are ALL wasting our time trying advise and educate you of your self declared "I have a lack of knowledge, I only own three 1911's!"
I think this meme should have your name on it.
Font Darkness Brand Event Electric blue

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
"Oh and just skip the Tisas BR9.
By the time you change out the barrel and other parts needed to make it run, you could have just added a hundred bucks or so to the budget and picked up a used Browning High Power"

I love my T-Series Browning Hi Power that I acquired by trade in 1969. But my stock BR9 is higher quality and runs fine as is; it doesn't need parts swaps to make it run. I don't carry the Browning because it has sentimental value, and I don't want to lose it. The BR9 doesn't, so I do carry it.

As an aside, the 20-round mags in the photo are Beretta FS92 that I modified to run in the Browning and Tisas. And I like the old T-Series safety, so I didn't mess with it. I removed the magazine disconnect from the Browning, but left it in place on the Tisas. BTW, I wouldn't install a trigger shoe on a carry gun, but they are OK on a plinker.
Photograph Air gun Trigger Wood Line

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
"If you want an Ultra Kimber just pick one you like, they are all the same on the inside. It's the cosmetics that make up the different models and price".

Thanks, Chuck. That one sentence tells me exactly what I need to know. Very much appreciated. I'm going to look at one this afternoon.

2sharp2, I have been shooting handguns for 70+ years, own a couple of dozen or so, and started handloading more than a half century ago. None of that makes me an expert on anything, which is why I asked questions about the Ultra Carry. Being dumb and reaching out for advice doesn't bother me - I've done it all my life. I don't always take the advice - but I like having it for reference.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
"Oh and just skip the Tisas BR9.
By the time you change out the barrel and other parts needed to make it run, you could have just added a hundred bucks or so to the budget and picked up a used Browning High Power"

I love my T-Series Browning Hi Power that I acquired by trade in 1969. But my stock BR9 is higher quality and runs fine as is; it doesn't need parts swaps to make it run. I don't carry the Browning because it has sentimental value, and I don't want to lose it. The BR9 doesn't, so I do carry it.

As an aside, the 20-round mags in the photo are Beretta FS92 that I modified to run in the Browning and Tisas. And I like the old T-Series safety, so I didn't mess with it. I removed the magazine disconnect from the Browning, but left it in place on the Tisas. BTW, I wouldn't install a trigger shoe on a carry gun, but they are OK on a plinker.
View attachment 126950
The Tisas barrel is different and is the cause of most of the feeding problems associated with the BR9.
You can swap a High Power barrel and use HP mags and solve most of the issues.
They fit fine.
Without the swap, I wouldnt carry the BR9 as a CCW.
When you add in the cost barrel and a couple HP mags you are within $100 or so of the going price for an actual used High Power.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
" They fit fine"

That's true. However, there is no reason to do the swap; the Tisas parts work fine, and they fixed the original extractor problem (mine didn't have the early extractor anyway). I'd buy a BR9 any day. Though they seem to have replaced it with the new updated ZIG 14, so I don't expect to see the BR9 return. Personally, I don't care for the updated 14's safety and slide stop, but the rest of it looks good. One has even been chambered for 8x18 instead of 9x19.. Roth-Steyr? I don't know.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
" They fit fine"

That's true. However, there is no reason to do the swap; the Tisas parts work fine, and they fixed the original extractor problem (mine didn't have the early extractor anyway). I'd buy a BR9 any day. Though they seem to have replaced it with the new updated ZIG 14, so I don't expect to see the BR9 return. Personally, I don't care for the updated 14's safety and slide stop, but the rest of it looks good. One has even been chambered for 8x18 instead of 9x19.. Roth-Steyr? I don't know.
The Tisas barrel is different and has a different style feed ramp.
The trigger pull on BR9 is around 10lbs.
The sear assy is different from a High Power and wont interchange with an FN HP without work.
I'm not bagging in Tisas at all, but the BR9 isn't going to feel or run like a FN HP....it does look like one tho.
I personally wouldnt carry one unless I went through it and swapped a few known problem parts and was assured it would be reliable enough to bet my life on it.

Also, I cant justify spending same money for a clone as an original. $550 for the gun +$120 fornthe barrel amd another $100 for the sear, pins and springs, trigger springs, etc will.put you close to $800.... which will buy you a nice used Browning HP that needs none of those things to be a reliable carry gun.

But thats just me.
:)

41 - 60 of 87 Posts