Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Ultra Carry II in stainless and although I shoot it very well I do not like the all black sights at all. Aside from "night" sights what sights has anyone tried and how do you like or hate them? I have heard some good things about the Tru-glo sights but haven't done much investigating beyond that. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
37,615 Posts
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois hazer67 and congratulations on the new Stainless Ultra Carry II. Tru-Glo sights work very well I have them on a couple of my range guns but prefer tritium night sights on my carry guns.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have tru glo tfo's on my pro carry II. Very quick target acquisition and very bright at night. Found a good price on ebay. The front sight is a bear to install so have your lgs do it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the same sights on my UCII as you. I am 58 and can't see the front sight when aimed at the black circle in the target. I used to dabble in art and painting and have some Titanium White Acrylic paint and some brushes so I painted a tiny thin white line across the tops of my front and rear sights and that helped immensely. One of these days I'll get some Meprolight Night Sights for it and then I think the firearm will be perfect. The Titanium White is a bright white and really stands out on the black sight.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I also painted mine. I have used this method before and it works very well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
I just bought a Ultra Carry II in stainless and although I shoot it very well I do not like the all black sights at all. Aside from "night" sights what sights has anyone tried and how do you like or hate them? I have heard some good things about the Tru-glo sights but haven't done much investigating beyond that. Thanks!!
Welcome to the forum from Ohio. I'm not a fan of all black sights either. I do like fiber optic sights on range guns, and night sights on my carry gun. As was mentioned, painting them works as well. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
13,705 Posts
Welcome to the site from Tennessee! I can't see the all black sights either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always get baffled about things like this. You spend allot of $$ on a pistol and they put cheap junk all black sights on it. I honestly can't believe that anyone would like these at all, escpecially on a gun called "carry". I own a $650 SIG and it came from the factory with night sights already installed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Black sights suck on black targets in a dark indoor range (most are dark, but you can get light targets) Put a bit of white or Krylon Glow orange on the front sight. That is what is important in a combat situation anyway. I prefer white or bright orange to tritium or any other "glow in the dark" sight. They are bright enough in any situation except complete darkness, which is not a situaton where I would be firing off my gun since I cannot see behind the target. Remember you are responsible for everything that bullet hits beyond the bad guy.

I usually put on a light coat of Testors whiite paint on the front sight, let it dry over night and then keep it that way or put on an additional coat of the Kyrlon glow orange (SCB-022) if I want. You can always remove it with paint thinner and try another color

I wish my Ultra Carry 2 came with the Kimber whiite 3 dot system and I may shell out the $50 bucks + installallation for them but no way am I going to pay the extra $130 plus install for glow in the dark sights. I just don't see the need. If all I can see are the sights, I ain't shooting.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have an Ultra Crimson Carry II that had the all black sights and they sucked. I know I had the laser grips but suppose it failed and all I had was the all black sights? Not good.

I had Kimber install a set of Meprolight Tritium 3-dot night sights on my gun after Chuck43 recommended them. Kimber did a great job installing and sighting them in and they're right on target.

Much better on the old eyes IMO!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I sent mine back for other issues and had them install the sights while it was there. It was supposed to be like $135.00 for the sights and 25.00 to install them but they didn't charge for the install. Kimber was pretty good to me and they made my jamming issues go away.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I always get baffled about things like this. You spend allot of $$ on a pistol and they put cheap junk all black sights on it. I honestly can't believe that anyone would like these at all, escpecially on a gun called "carry". I own a $650 SIG and it came from the factory with night sights already installed.
Yeah, but it's still a "Sig"!!! :)

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The Meprolights are awesome. Brighter than the heine sights on my SA XD9 SC

·
Registered
62 Posts
reviving this thread as im interested on getting one. why Kimber website has at least the standard 3 dot sights on UCII?

·
Banned
8,281 Posts
I still have the black sights on my UC2 and it's somewhere over five years old. I keep saying I'm going to put Tru-Glo sights on it, but I wear it everyday so I never get around to it.

My SIG P238 has some form of glowing sights and I like them. I should just send the UC2 to Yonkers and let them do it. Gander Mountain closed here, and I think the closest gunsmith is in Waunakee. I know I'll feel naked without my regular pistol.

Because of my eyes I should get some form of mid-size Kimber 1911 in 9x19mm, but then I'd have to break in a new pistol.

The UC2 is not a target gun, it's a defense weapon. If I shoot it to save my life or that of my wife, the pistol becomes prima facie evidence and I won't see it again for two years, if ever.

Maybe black will be okay. If it gets bad, I'll just use Crimson Trace, anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the UC II and want night sights. I am concerned with poi in regards to elevation. I feel that 3 inch barrel could shoot low or high especially when the sight package says for all kimbers. Any advice.

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
This thread is seven years old and the most recent post was three years ago.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts