Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Springs are the logical gremlin. But not always. I have occasionally found variances in all-metal mags typical to the 1911. From the same manufacturer. If you have a decent caliper, check it at the feed lips compared with a mag that works well. You may have to adjust (bend) the feed lips. I have polished plastic and metal followers now and then, finding burrs on them. If you disassemble Kimber single stack mags, you can observe where the follower rubs on the inside of the mag body. Polishing that can't hurt.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Gave my Ultra some excercise today. Sent 50 down the tube. Had one magazine that would load a round but not completely eject the spent one...happened twice in 24 rounds. Perplexing as to the cause..weak mag spring maybe? Thoughts?
What ammo?
That would be my first thought.
Then try several different mags.
That might help narrow it down.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I go with Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat magazines myself. I've always had issues with Kimber magazines. When I get a new Kimber I just chuck the Kimber mag into a drawer.
I've heard that same synopsis elsewhere. Probably need to look at different mag options.

·
Registered
16,055 Posts
All of my original factory magazines work/function fine…

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have a decent caliper, check it at the feed lips compared with a mag that works well. You may have to adjust (bend) the feed lips.
I think you nailed it! When loading the mag with the Uplula I felt a little hitch as I inserted the cartridges that wasn't in the other mag. Bent it out a little and it now loads smoothly.. need to get it out and test it.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I think you nailed it! When loading the mag with the Uplula I felt a little hitch as I inserted the cartridges that wasn't in the other mag. Bent it out a little and it now loads smoothly.. need to get it out and test it.
Well done! Hope that fixes it. Mags that are worn or out of tolerance contribute to so many problems with guns. It's the first thing I check.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well done! Hope that fixes it. Mags that are worn or out of tolerance contribute to so many problems with guns. It's the first thing I check.
Is there a trick to taking these Kimber mags apart? Had a hell of a time getting the follower out and back in. Does the bottom tab come off?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Is there a trick to taking these Kimber mags apart? Had a hell of a time getting the follower out and back in. Does the bottom tab come off?
The Kimber flush mags I have are crimped and don't open from the bottom. The trick is to push down the follower, insert an fallen wrench or similar thru the holes to hold the spring compressed, then you can easily remove the follower from the top because it's flopping around loose, no tension on it. With a thumb over the open end, pull out the wrench and out pops the spring.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Kimber flush mags I have are crimped and don't open from the bottom. The trick is to push down the follower, insert an fallen wrench or similar thru the holes to hold the spring compressed, then you can easily remove the follower from the top because it's flopping around loose, no tension on it. With a thumb over the open end, pull out the wrench and out pops the spring.
That's how I did it. I thought there might be a better way.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I truly love my Micro 9 as it has been flawless for me and it's a comfortable pistol to hold and shoot...BUT... I must say, after adding the Wilson Combat front grip strap and the Kimber Double Diamond grips to my Stainless Ultra II I have fallen head over heels for it. It now is fantastic to grip onto and bring on target...and of course the trigger is far superior to anything else I own.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

·
Registered
2 Posts
I go with Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat magazines myself. I've always had issues with Kimber magazines. When I get a new Kimber I just chuck the Kimber mag into a drawer.
Funny thing is that I have feeding issues with JHP in Wilson Combat mags, but no problems with the stock Kimber mags regardless of ammo. Prime example of YMMV, I guess.

·
Registered
16,055 Posts
@rodandertx welcome to the site from Tennessee. Kimber mags work fine for me to.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Had one magazine that would load a round but not completely eject the spent one . . .
The magazine is not responsible for ejecting an empty case.

Here are some possible causes for failure-to-eject.
  • Ammo that is too weak to cycle the slide fully to the rear
  • Recoil spring that is too strong for the ammo being used
  • Extractor losing control of the extracted case
To diagnose the problem first perform this simple test.

Step 1 - fill a magazine with cartridges
Step 2 - insert the magazine into the pistol
Step 3 - load a round into the chamber
Step 4 - remove the magazine from the pistol
Step 5 - fire the loaded round while observing the case as it ejects

Repeat Steps 2 through 5 until all the cartridges in the magazine are expended.

If any of the ejected cases drop through the magazine well, this is proof that the extractor needs serious attention. If any of the ejected cases fly off in different directions, the extractor needs less serious attention. Either way the extractor needs attention.

What this test does is eliminate the magazine as a factor influencing ejection. Often times a less than optimally fit extractor will lose control of a fired case and it's the sudden upward movement of the magazine follower that pushes the fired case out of the ejection port instead of the ejector.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The magazine is not responsible for ejecting an empty case.

Here are some possible causes for failure-to-eject.
  • Ammo that is too weak to cycle the slide fully to the rear
  • Recoil spring that is too strong for the ammo being used
  • Extractor losing control of the extracted case
To diagnose the problem first perform this simple test.

Step 1 - fill a magazine with cartridges
Step 2 - insert the magazine into the pistol
Step 3 - load a round into the chamber
Step 4 - remove the magazine from the pistol
Step 5 - fire the loaded round while observing the case as it ejects

Repeat Steps 2 through 5 until all the cartridges in the magazine are expended.

If any of the ejected cases drop through the magazine well, this is proof that the extractor needs serious attention. If any of the ejected cases fly off in different directions, the extractor needs less serious attention. Either way the extractor needs attention.

What this test does is eliminate the magazine as a factor influencing ejection. Often times a less than optimally fit extractor will lose control of a fired case and it's the sudden upward movement of the magazine follower that pushes the fired case out of the ejection port instead of the ejector.
Thanks for that info. I was only experiencing the problem with only 1 of the two magazines that I have. See post # 9 for what I did and how it eliminated the problem.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks for that info. I was only experiencing the problem with only 1 of the two magazines that I have. See post # 9 for what I did and how it eliminated the problem.
Bent it out a little and it now loads smoothly.. need to get it out and test it.
You solved the feeding problem (y)
Had one magazine that would load a round but not completely eject the spent one . . .
I have no idea how bending the magazine would solve the ejection problem. :(

I suggest you run the extractor function test I posted to be sure that problem is really gone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts