Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys rhe original thread is deep in and kind of morphed into micro 9 so I thought I would make a new post on my gun being returned from Kimber. Here is reply I started but wanted make sure you all seen so you would know how Kimber responded. If moderator wants move it I understand.
UPDATE *
I received my Kimber Stainless LW back today. 1 week and 1 day from the day I shipped it to them. Very pleased with that turnaround. Would have never imagined it. They repair list stated that it was inspected by QC, cleaned and oiled.
1.They cleaned the rust from the barrel and bore
2. Refinished the barrel, chamber reamed, and polished the feedramp
3. Replaced the slide stop
4. Shot it with 3 rounds American eagle FMJ
and 1 magazine of Speer Gold dot JHP
After I got in from work I got it out and quickly looked it over. The bronze color was not there anymore. However it was dirty from where they shot it so couldn't see bore real well. I broke it down and first checked spots on frame. They had been smoothed and polished. I cleaned the entire gun thoroughly. I could feel the barrel had been highly polished. They said cleaned it from rust and refinished it. Honestly the barrel now makes me think they missed it the first go around or hit it on a Friday. There is no comparison the the finish outside and inside the barrel now compared to before. It is slick and I mean real slick. After cleaning the bore I could see a Shiney bore completely void of that bronze type color. It looks great. I lubed and put it back together and worked the action. It seems slicker all the way around. The barrel lockup is good and tight just as before. I will try to shoot it tomorrow or if not Friday hopefully. I will report back on how it done afterward. I took a couple pictures of it now and will attach them with this update. If it shoots as good as before and as good as it looks now I couldn't be more pleased. So far I am very pleased with Kimbers customer service and work. The final verdict will be again, after I shoot it.

Attachments

·
Registered
799 Posts
Thanks for the update, let us know how it shoots.

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got back from shooting. I shot 50 rounds and had no malfunctions. Gun shot very well. I will attach pic of target. There are 15 rounds in center. I pulled my last shot. Then I shot 8 rounds running and gunning and aimed for head and put them all there though not as tight as I was moving. Thats all on this target. The rest of the rounds i shot at steel plate. Very happy and very pleased. LOVE THIS KIMBER STAINLESS LW!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
Nice!!
I love shooting steel.
I keep a 12" and a 1/3 size torso steel target in my truck...just in case I get the urge to hear that sweet "bing" sound.

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Super Moderator
37,745 Posts
Nice shooting Buckbear.

Reactions: Wingnut

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, i just purchased a custom ii yesterday. Stripped to clean it last night and had the SAME exact boreissue. Naturally i kinda freaked after plunked down 8 benjamins for it. ( I got some change). It looked exactly like yours, OP. Same color, but smooth and slick, not rough like rust. When cleaning the bore, the patch never came out brown or red. Just slightly black presumably from test firing. in fact, it cleaned up with two patches, and the 3rd patch was clean as a whistle. Now, i want to add a few thoughts. The brown/red color was consistent and entirely even in the bore AND chamber. Rust isnt like that unless you're bluing or browning. There was no color anywhere else. Rust wouldnt just stop at the crown and feed ramp perfectly. Its weird but I thought it might be some coating from the factory. I am a bit disheartened that OP sent it to Kimber and they polished it out. That is the only indication to me that it was not intended to be there. Op, you said you bought yours 2 weeks ago. I bought mine yesterday. Exact same bores. Is kimber now doing domething with their barrels that we dont know about? Other than the color, the bore looks fine, smooth, deep even lands and grooves, no chatter marks, good crown. No pits or rough patches. It looks perfect except the color. I dont want to send it back and have them start polishing away. I do not think its rust. And I know what rusted bores look and feel like. There has to be more than 2 guns out there other than mine and OP's. Anyone?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I had posted a thread with the issue. It was there whem I bought it and I figured it was packing and would clean out. Kind of like some form of the copper grease Glock uses in their rails.. i shot and cleaned it and had checked around for 2 weeks before I called them. Your description is exact same as mine. Consistent and even throughout and slick and Shiney. I tried rust remover and at last tried some Sweets cleaner that is strong stuff and brushed away and it didn't change it one bit. It was then I called Kimber. I told him about it and sent him the pictures of it over the phone. He had me hold and he had gunsmith there look at it. Then he returned to the line and he told me I needed ship it back to them. I think it was a step missed in the end of build. Forgot to finish out the barrel and bore. Maybe in a rush on a Friday or just missed it. When their gunsmith looks at it and saids to send it in I think that was all I needed to hear to know it wasn't right or anything they are doing different or he would have said so. Then when I received it back he stated he cleaned rust from it, Reamed chamber, Refinished it. So that again tells me it was something they missed. But good news is they made it right in record time and got it back to me. It is in great shape and looks as it should now. The service rep I spoke with was Jose Santini. Great guy. ⁸

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Bearbuck. I saw your original thread and the pictures of your bore is exactly like yours. Hmmm, i'm thinking maybe i should call Kimber on Monday. Did you just call the customer service number?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I did. I'd ask for Jose Santini since he is familiar with this issue so recently. They may not allow you to ask for someone specific and have take one who answers but if I ever have call them again I will ask for him. It is not a high end model but my first Kimber and I had wanted one for yearsand plunking down what I paid was alot money for me. Needless to say when it comes to my guns, stuff like that when it dont seem right eats away at me and dominates my mind until its settled. Hope your not blessed with that same way of thinking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Bearbuck. I am however blessed just like you. I work hard for every dollar and things like this do annoy me. But mistakes happen. Hopefully Kimber will make it right. Im calling on Monday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well i called Kimber today at about 2:00. I explained the issue to the rep, (Jeff) who asked me to email him pictures of the bore. He said he would call me back. If i dont hear back by lunchtime or so tomorrow, I'll call them back.

·
Registered
13,772 Posts
I wonder how many "rusty?" barrel bores are in the wild, maybe still sitting in dealer stock?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I know. I mean even though this was rust color I never seen rust not react to cleaning and scrubbing at all and the bore still appear bright and shiney with no dark spots or anything visible so I guess I resign to fact that it had to be a strong even layer that set in where they gun had been stored in a damp room setting for long time before I bought it. Sammi207 I have no doubt they are going to take care of you on it. No doubt. They were wonderful with my issue. Yes of u don't hear back by lunch I would call back. Soon as u get that RA number and shipping slip, faster you can get it out to them. They told me it may take a day before my shipping label was emailed to me by UPS but it actually came about 2 hours after we hung up. Continue to keep us posted on the situation.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes I know. I mean even though this was rust color I never seen rust not react to cleaning and scrubbing at all and the bore still appear bright and shiney with no dark spots or anything visible so I guess I resign to fact that it had to be a strong even layer that set in where they gun had been stored in a damp room setting for long time before I bought it. Sammi207 I have no doubt they are going to take care of you on it. No doubt. They were wonderful with my issue. Yes of u don't hear back by lunch I would call back. Soon as u get that RA number and shipping slip, faster you can get it out to them. They told me it may take a day before my shipping label was emailed to me by UPS but it actually came about 2 hours after we hung up. Continue to keep us posted on the situation.
I used to work in a tool and die shop and we would put a spray on our parts just before final polish an it looked similar. We would polish the surface until the faintest trace was gone. We did that so we wouldn't take too much metal off during polishing. The only way that stuff came off was with a fine polishing compound. Just maybe that is what this is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That sounds like the most reasonable scenario to me. Didnt know anything about that process but that explanation really fits what this probably was. Thanks for the information.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts