Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can short video clips be put on a post without it being on YouTube or somewhere like that?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about homemade video like at the range. Do they have to hosted somewhere or dumped like still photos direct from a smart phone?

·
Super Moderator
38,342 Posts
I was thinking about homemade video like at the range. Do they have to hosted somewhere or dumped like still photos direct from a smart phone?
That I'm not sure of...
If Islander or Chuck see this they will know if ya can..
Guys, sad to say I don't know but I'm willing to see if I can figure it out unless Steve or someone else knows how to do it. I just happen to have a ton of video of my grandchildren to experiment with. I'm thinking maybe this afternoon I can sit down and work on it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Wouldn't mind knowing it myself...I'll bet on Porscheville knowing something about it. Just a hunch...

·
Super Moderator
38,342 Posts
Has anyone sent a pm to the administrator to see if it's even possible??
I'm sure it's possible but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, it's been a kick ass day.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Mike,
I tried uploading a video and it said the .mov is an invalid file type. That was shot by my iPhone. There are other video formats such as MPEG, but on the list of valid file extensions under "manage attachments" there are no video formats.

However, I did find a video posted from YouTube by Insta-Gator. I assume he clicked on the button that allows you to link to a URL. But he should be able to tell you.

If you want to post your own video, I would post it to YouTube or another site where you can link to it with a URL.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
Mike,
I tried uploading a video and it said the .mov is an invalid file type. That was shot by my iPhone. There are other video formats such as MPEG, but on the list of valid file extensions under "manage attachments" there are no video formats.

However, I did find a video posted from YouTube by Insta-Gator. I assume he clicked on the button that allows you to link to a URL. But he should be able to tell you.

If you want to post your own video, I would post it to YouTube or another site where you can link to it with a URL.

Good luck.
For You Tube,all ya do is copy/paste the URL link...

·
Super Moderator
38,342 Posts
I'm sorry guys, I know I said I would look into this but I just haven't had the time so far this week.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Pretty much all the forums I am on require you to upload the video to Vimeo or Youtube, then past the link to that video on the forum. I don't think vbulliten likes video files very much, nor do most forums want to host files the size of a video.

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
It's certainly possible with custom work, but I suspect there are quite a few very good reasons why it hasn't been done already.

One reason uploading videos onto the internet (and onto forums) is not as ubiquitous as uploading images is simple: file size and bandwidth. Your average common-or-garden picture will be in the realms of a few hundred kilobytes, give or take, perhaps stretching to a megabyte or two for really big images or complicated GIFs. Videos, however, will be anything from a few megabytes to several hundred megabytes, depending on length and quality.

To do the math, let's assume I upload a 500kB image and a 50MB - or 50,000kB* - video into a thread. For argument's sake, let's also assume 100 people visit the thread in question, and they all load the image and load the entire video.

So, firstly, the images: 500kB x 100 is 50,000kB, or 50MB. In English, this means that 100 people downloading the 500kb image results in 50MB of bandwidth usage. This is a pretty big image, but typical of an image uploaded straight from a smartphone without processing.

Next, let's move onto our short video: 50,000kB x 100 is 5,000,000kB, or 5GB. Yes, 5 gigabytes. So a few small videos on your forum can easily make a mess of your bandwidth bills. There are also other, server-related problems with transmitting videos, but I am not familiar enough with this to speak with any authority.

The thing is, really, YouTube and Vimeo are both established, well-used to hosting videos, and most importantly, free. In my eyes, I don't personally see a compelling reason to self-host my user's videos over just allowing them to upload to YouTube, which is what they already do and are well-versed in.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good explain action and thanks.

·
Super Moderator
38,342 Posts
Thanks Jeff, you just saved me a lot of playing around.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts