Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Going out everyday wear..... Spyderco Polestar, Leatherman Wave, and the Kabar Hellfire.

Work.... Gerber multi tool and the CRKT tanto fixed (old knife name unknown) or some small spring assist knife.

·
Registered
794 Posts
A Gerber 2 inch folding skeleton frame. I don't like knives. But I do carry the little one.

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Banned
8,281 Posts
I don't like knives. But I do carry the little one.
I have to admit, I like knives--but not really as weapons although I never leave the house without a polished knife edge.

As I have stated, I have extricated myself from saloons where weapons came out, but cooler heads prevailed. I also believe that most guys would rather have a bullet removed than have a surgeon stitch up numerous knife slices.

As you remember, I got professional blade training. If you ever wander around in the UW Madison pages, you'll find a blade trainer by the name of Archie Simonson. That man forgot more than I'll ever know. He taught me fencing and some saber training that I adopted for fun, but saved my bacon more than a few times.

Granted, pbsdaddy, you might not like knives, but I would recommend the dialogue in "Quigely Down Under." The hero announces that he doesn't like handguns. But in the final scene, Quigley dispatches three bad guys at one time. He admits that while he doesn't like handguns he still learned how to handle one.

So, pbsdaddy, let me know if you think this over. You might absolutely hate the polished edge I put on a folder. You might even hate conflict at all levels. But when you have a generic folder with a edge polished beyond "scalpel," your enemies suddenly remember an important engagement.

To this day I think aggressors fear knives more than being shot.

·
Banned
8,281 Posts
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/archie-simonson-obituary?pid=189327441

I consider myself very good with any type of edged weapon. But as "Will Sonnet" used to say, "It ain't brag, just fact."

Oh, and I forgot. I had a very good instructor, Professor Archie E. Simonson. BTW, he was also a judge, and I had to testify once in front of him in open court. I might have been in a suit, but he knew me as "that wise ass college kid."

I took my foil, one epee and a saber to college with hopes of getting on the university fencing team. I did make it through some of the ranks at 19 years of age, that is, until Judge Simonson called me out onto the fencing lane. He chased me all over that 40-foot expanse! And when he did not hold up his foil to block a head cut, I used my height and actually scored one point. I went back to my seat, somewhat defeated and sweating profusely. Then the kid next to me looked up shocked, and said, "Yikes, you scored a point on the coach..."

Judge Simonson has now passed away. But I remember all the things he shared with me, some of these things actually dealt with epees and foils.

Now, this might make you laugh, but sometimes when I have been out-numbered or cornered, I smirk at my attackers. These bozos are not fighting me, they're fighting Judge Archie Simonson!

I hope you study the picture of this man. He was short, a tad rotund and the last guy you'd expect to clean out a barroom. But take it from me, if he told me to get out and stay out, I would go in a heartbeat...

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Newest knife. Actually bought two of them, one with the black coating, the other with a satin blade. The blade is CPM-M4, an exotic steel that was used in a special run of these knives. The knife is BIG, with a blade just a hair under four inches.

I didn't carry it for a while, as the original clip makes the knife stick rather high out of my pocket. I carry this with my shirt tucked in, so it didn't look right. Last week I bagged a titanium deep-pocket clip, and now the knife only peeks out of the pocket a bit.

The blade is easy to sharpen, and holds an edge nicely.

Attachments

·
Banned
8,281 Posts
'Iron, this is why having been a biker makes life a lot easier.

For example, whether I'm going to some place I've never been, or going to a restaurant, a knife goes with me. However, think of all the really diverse knives we have now! Heck, as a boy we had Ka-Bars and steak knives. I still have my Cub Scout Knife, because for an eight year old boy that's all there was.

Now granted, I prefer to carry a stiletto, and I have six of them. Granted, Madison is an easy town, that is, unless it's vacation season for Illinois.

Having said that, consider what my uncle always said, "E' meglio avere un coltello che la tua ex moglie." Of course, in that bizarre family it just meant "Pass the spaghetti..."

My parents did their best to keep me away from that uncle...

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Chico, I know for a fact you've been told how to post photos numerous times. As a college-educated fellow (you remind us all the time), I'd think a simple photo posting operation would be quite easy for a person such as yourself.

So to stay on topic, my EDC knife depends if or not my one remaining good hip is okay, versus my replacement hip assembly is acting up (I've got enough titanium in me equal to a landing gear strut on an F-15. :eek:). If it's "one of those days", my pet cane comes into play....

See, a photo too! And to think I didn't finish all four years of college! Oh the horror! :eek:

On good days, it's just me, a Kimber of one flavor or another, and one of my auto knives. And pants too.....gotta remember pants......:D

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is the one I usually carry. I have always loved stockmans, and this is my favorite. I also carry a couple different Gerber locking blades. I will carry them for rougher uses, and when I don't want to risk losing this. This knife will hopefully be with me until the day I die. Hopefully a long time from now.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
...that's some fine looking gear you have there Rick!!! You wouldn't think the owner of such a posh collection specialized in controlling the populations of scampering field vermin :)
Shucks Mark, a 'rodent assassin' can have good taste, be clean and still be an effective killer, right? :D

And you're correct....those field vermin do indeed scamper when they see my truck coming down the road! :eek:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
...better pic of my EDC knife... ...it be a ZT 0609... ...it is made by Zero Tolerance, Made in the USA CPM 20CV powdered metallurgy tool steel with high volume of vanadium carbides for exceptional wear resistance and long-lasting edge; two-tone, satin-and-stonewashed blade finish... ...Titanium handle is heavily machined and anodized in bronze
Specs:
Blade Steel CPM 20CV
Blade Length 3.4 in. (8.6 cm)
HRC 60–62
Blade Finish/Coating Stonewashed finish flats, satin finish grinds
Blade Thickness 0.121 in. (0.307 cm)
Closed Length 4.25 in. (10.8 cm)
Handle Material Titanium
Handle Color Bronze
Handle Finish/Coating Bronze anodized
Handle Thickness 0.45 in. (11.5 mm)
Overall Length 7.625 in. (19.4 cm)
Weight 3.5 oz. (102 g)

Attachments

·
Banned
8,281 Posts
Rick, look at it this way, I believe that there are no really original ideas--if there was, millionaires would be advertising right now.

For example, personally, I do not make knives. In short, I make knives better. We all know some craftsmen who can make "beautiful things." Either the concept hadn't worked for anyone or numerous failures finally proved the idea was flawed from the beginning.

The world advanced when steel replaced iron. Then steel rusted. And someone like my dad or me stumbled over the singular flaw that took everything down. Think of a large balloon with a very tiny hole.

In a very really sense, many producers don't want to make their products refined because then every idiot would want "in" on the game. For example, your car has pistons, rings, oil passages and numerous gauges. When I was a very little boy I watched a TV program on a guy that made an all aluminum engine with precious few parts. And many people thought the "turbine engine" was right around the corner.

In conclusion, sharpening a knife isn't hard, you just scrape the hard part on something harder. The secret of that is the learning curve is horrible--you wreck expensive stuff. Heck, some restaurants flourished because one guy knew how to make better coffee.

So go watch a guy with vision. Don't look at the successes, tabulate the failures. Then fix the idea, and make more money than your mentor...

21 - 40 of 61 Posts