Kimber Talk Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
15,470 Posts
Rick, look at it this way, I believe that there are no really original ideas--if there was, millionaires would be advertising right now.

For example, personally, I do not make knives. In short, I make knives better. We all know some craftsmen who can make "beautiful things." Either the concept hadn't worked for anyone or numerous failures finally proved the idea was flawed from the beginning.

The world advanced when steel replaced iron. Then steel rusted. And someone like my dad or me stumbled over the singular flaw that took everything down. Think of a large balloon with a very tiny hole.

In a very really sense, many producers don't want to make their products refined because then every idiot would want "in" on the game. For example, your car has pistons, rings, oil passages and numerous gauges. When I was a very little boy I watched a TV program on a guy that made an all aluminum engine with precious few parts. And many people thought the "turbine engine" was right around the corner.

In conclusion, sharpening a knife isn't hard, you just scrape the hard part on something harder. The secret of that is the learning curve is horrible--you wreck expensive stuff. Heck, some restaurants flourished because one guy knew how to make better coffee.

So go watch a guy with vision. Don't look at the successes, tabulate the failures. Then fix the idea, and make more money than your mentor...
This is your answer to Rick why you can't post a picture? Good grief man!!!

For a while now I've stopped carrying old school knives (a folder) and I'm carrying two automatic knives all the time, along with pistol and magazines, keys, cell and crap.
My new always is either the Blue or Grey Launch 7, the other auto carry changes from time to time as my mood changes. The silver Boker gets a fair amount of pocket time.
Watch tourist, pics to follow.

Attachments

·
Banned
8,281 Posts
Chico, I know for a fact you've been told how to post photos numerous times.
Agreed. You probably have instructed me numerous times. It's my sister-in-law who knows camera work, not me.

But, to me, this isn't a job, it's a hobby. Sometimes I can figure out how to use the suggestions I get from the forum. Then again, I might be typing from a remote location without any pictures.

I did speak with Staci and she seems like she'd want to polish--or have artisans in her neighborhood refine the edges of knives she might have to seriously depend upon.

Oh, BTW, I seldom take my own advice. For example, I do not care for blades offered with an "S" shaped bevel. They are impossible to polish with a uniform bevel--it takes me hours. So, having said that, I just bought a new "S" shaped blade. It slices really nice.

Now, I do have a few red-handled, two-inch folders with a straight, flat Wharncliffe edge. Yes, this design is quite small, but considering the slicing ability of this design, it can open a watermelon or a drunken townie with the same amazing aplomb.

And the price is quite nice, considering the law might have to confiscate it...

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
...better pic of my EDC knife... ...it be a ZT 0609... ...it is made by Zero Tolerance, Made in the USA CPM 20CV powdered metallurgy tool steel with high volume of vanadium carbides for exceptional wear resistance and long-lasting edge; two-tone, satin-and-stonewashed blade finish... ...Titanium handle is heavily machined and anodized in bronze
I like the ZT line of knives. They seem to like offering various versions of the hi-tech metals. I have a ZT0456 in CTS 204P, similar steel to the CPM 20CV. They take a very nice edge.

This week I am carrying a Twosun in M390, another steel I like for taking a polish and holding an edge.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I like the ZT line of knives. They seem to like offering various versions of the hi-tech metals. I have a ZT0456 in CTS 204P, similar steel to the CPM 20CV. They take a very nice edge.

This week I am carrying a Twosun in M390, another steel I like for taking a polish and holding an edge.
I have a couple of other ZT knives, and a benchmade auto...

The TwoSun is a great looking knife...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Wood Tool Hunting knife Blade Knife

I graduated from folding pocket knives to a Kershaw Hotwire.. an inexpensive but very functional spring assisted. It's the right size for me and holds a good edge. I like it because if I'm holding something with one hand I can retrieve the knife and open with the other. Very handy to have.

I also have a Camillus Impulse.. but find it a little uncomfortable for pocket carry
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Rectangle

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
View attachment 131128

I graduated from folding pocket knives to a Kershaw Hotwire.. an inexpensive but very functional spring assisted. It's the right size for me and holds a good edge. I like it because if I'm holding something with one hand I can retrieve the knife and open with the other. Very handy to have.

I also have a Camillus Impulse.. but find it a little uncomfortable for pocket carry
View attachment 131129
My wife keeps a Hotwire in her purse.
That's a good little knife.
I think I paid $9 at Walmart for it.
Sharp as a razor.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
Yep! Been carrying it for a couple years now.. it's one hell of a bargain.
I think so too.
As long as you know what it is.
It's blade is 3Cr13MoV, which is pretty cheap steel.
It takes a razor edge, but doesn't hold it very long.
It's great for most day to day household jobs like opening mail, slicing a sammich, cutting fishing line, or trimming that itchy tag from a new T shirt.
Perfect for the glove box, or tackle box
For a sub $10 knife it's hard to beat.

Reactions: Oklahomabound

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I think so too.
As long as you know what it is.
It's blade is 3Cr13MoV, which is pretty cheap steel.
It takes a razor edge, but doesn't hold it very long.
It's great for most day to day household jobs like opening mail, slicing a sammich, cutting fishing line, or trimming that itchy tag from a new T shirt.
Perfect for the glove box, or tackle box
For a sub $10 knife it's hard to beat.
It replaced a Case folding pocket knife that I carried for years. I always found a folding knife to be a pain in the ass when holding something that needed to be sliced, poked or shaved down. You had to free up your other hand to open it. This one fills that bill. I have a Smith ceramic sharpener to keep the edge in shape because I'm always cutting something I shouldn't be using a knife on.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
It replaced a Case folding pocket knife that I carried for years. I always found a folding knife to be a pain in the ass when holding something that needed to be sliced, poked or shaved down. You had to free up your other hand to open it. This one fills that bill. I have a Smith ceramic sharpener to keep the edge in shape because I'm always cutting something I shouldn't be using a knife on.
I carry a 25 year old Case stockman in a leather slip every day.
It is as sharp as a straight razor.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
If it stays as sharp as a straight razor you can't be using for utilitarian purposes... what do you use it for?
Opening correspondence, for the most part..
And occasionally summer sausage and smoked pepper jack.😃

Right tool for the job.
My go bag in the truck keeps the ZT and a Condor Hudson Bay, and a Condor Kephart lives in the glove box.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Opening correspondence, for the most part..
And occasionally summer sausage and smoked pepper jack.😃

Right tool for the job.
My go bag in the truck keeps the ZT and a Condor Hudson Bay, and a Condor Kephart lives in the glove box.
Those are some pretty nice knives. We have Cutco kitchen knives that were a bit pricey, were made with better steel and hold an edge for a long time... but for a day to day beater my Kershaw or my Camillus with AUS-8 steel are just fine.

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
When I bought the Hudson Bay it was $35.
Now they are twice that.
I bought the Kephart blank for like $18 and put birdseye maple scales on it.

Condor knives aren't super steel.
1075 I think. They are fantastic workhorses, and can take an excellent edge.

Reactions: Argee

·
Administrator
40,998 Posts
I have a couple of knives that I EDC, 2 - Kershaw Barge 1945's and 2 - CRK No Time Off's
Animal product Wood Knife Natural material Blade

I also have a CZT 0909 that I occasionally carry, that was a gift from Chico our old knife Guru. The serial number on the CZT is 1911.
Wood Knife Hunting knife Blade Composite material

Wood Tool Blade Composite material Hunting knife

Attachments

Reactions: Argee and bad ninja
41 - 60 of 61 Posts