Kimbertalk.com banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on what 45acp ammo you run out of your 1911s. I run Winchester White Box 230gr FMJ, I want to run cleaner and still reliable ammo for target practice at the range. I used to run Fedeal American Eagle, but it fires so dirty and covers my 1911 in black. Any recommendations are welcomed!

Thanks,
-Zildjian

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I keep meticulous records on my ammo. My Kimber is most precise, and most reliable, with Geco 230 gr. FMJ. It shoots about the same with RWS Sport Line Match Grade 230 Gr. FMJ. To me, they both seem to perform better than Winchester or Remington ammo (fewer flyers, tighter groups).

Keep in mind that any ammunition made with powder containing graphite (such as Winchester's Ball powder) will leave a black residue, but graphite is a lubricant, so it is not harmful to your gun.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Yeah, I'm the first to suggest Freedom Munitions.

I do not WWB.

·
Super Moderator
37,293 Posts
I been shooting Freedom Munitions 230 gr .45 reloads for the last 3 years. It's clean, accurate and dependable.

Reactions: Marshall

·
Banned
8,281 Posts
For just bangin' away I buy from the banner advertiser here. I like the "Hush" option since my wife is a tad recoil sensitive.

For carry, I chose the Hornady Critical Defense. My UC2 has an integral barrel feed ramp, and I noticed that the extreme ogive design of this bullet profile places that tip half-way up the ramp.

The tiny bullet tip goes into the larger chamber cavity at an almost straight on angle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1911 Recommended Ammo

This is from a manual for a Wilson Combat 1911 off thier web site. Not my info but Wilson Combat states:

RECOMMENDED AMMUNITION (in order of preference)
Federal 230 gr Hydra-Shok (new style with rounded nose)
Hornady/Frontier 200 or 230 gr XTP HP (both standard & +P loadings)
Black Hills 230 gr JHP (this load uses the Hornady 230 gr XTP bullet)
Winchester 185 gr Silvertip
Federal 230 gr JHP Classic
Remington 185 or 230 gr Golden Saber
Federal American Eagle 230 gr Hardball seems to be the best feeding
ball due to the shape ofthe bullet nose & OAL.

Ed Brown 1911:
What type of ammunition do you recommend for your handguns?

We recommend high quality Federal or Winchester ammunition, and nothing else. In our years of testing and experience, ammunition by these makers has proven to be of consistent high quality. The core of our function testing is done with Federal 230 grain FMJ, which is great self-defense ammunition. For accuracy, the Federal 185 grain Gold Metal Match ammo tends to produce the best groups.

·
Super Moderator
37,293 Posts
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois bg18566

1911 Recommended Ammo

This is from a manual for a Wilson Combat 1911 off thier web site. Not my info but Wilson Combat states:

RECOMMENDED AMMUNITION (in order of preference)
Federal 230 gr Hydra-Shok (new style with rounded nose)
Hornady/Frontier 200 or 230 gr XTP HP (both standard & +P loadings)
Black Hills 230 gr JHP (this load uses the Hornady 230 gr XTP bullet)
Winchester 185 gr Silvertip
Federal 230 gr JHP Classic
Remington 185 or 230 gr Golden Saber
Federal American Eagle 230 gr Hardball seems to be the best feeding
ball due to the shape ofthe bullet nose & OAL.

Ed Brown 1911:
What type of ammunition do you recommend for your handguns?

We recommend high quality Federal or Winchester ammunition, and nothing else. In our years of testing and experience, ammunition by these makers has proven to be of consistent high quality. The core of our function testing is done with Federal 230 grain FMJ, which is great self-defense ammunition. For accuracy, the Federal 185 grain Gold Metal Match ammo tends to produce the best groups.
I'm surprised to see that Wilson Combat doesn't have their own Wilson Combat Custom Ammo on their recommended ammunition list.

Reactions: Marshall

·
Banned
8,281 Posts
Do you guys think that the individual manufacturing tolerance play a role here? I mean, Ruger grinds out .22LR pistols by the metric ton, and yet some of them prefer differing brands.

·
Registered
13,542 Posts
Most recently I have been using Freedom Munitions also still using Georgia Arms on occasion and back in the past have used WWB.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Do you guys think that the individual manufacturing tolerance play a role here? I mean, Ruger grinds out .22LR pistols by the metric ton, and yet some of them prefer differing brands.
You have your own reloading bench, right, Chico? What has your experience been when loading your own?

I have observed differences in powder, brass, primers, and powder. When I was loading for my .45 Gold Cup, I had the best results (verified with a Ransom Rest) with Winchester brass, Remington primers, Bullseye and Winchester 231 powder, and Lee cast bullets. YMMV.

I believe that each individual gun has its own ammunition preferences. What works best in somebody else's gun might not do so well in yours. I, for example, saw poor results from CCI Blazer Aluminum and Remington UMC ammo. I won't buy any more of it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is this ammo not in production anymore? I can't find it for sale anywhere. I want to run this or something similar in current production through my 1911s.

Remington UMC Target 230gr (MC) FMJ
45 Auto Nickel Plated Brass

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah it's completely sold out on every single website. This stuff is gone. But Remington never replaced it with another nickel plated target load.. Weird huh? I just found these, anyone ever use or have pros vs cons on this ammo?

Winchester 1911 (WIN1911)
45 Auto 230gr flat nose FMJ Nickel-Plated Target

·
Banned
8,281 Posts
You have your own reloading bench, right, Chico? What has your experience been when loading your own?
Well, first thing is the proper headspace. Even barrels differ there, the custom ones can be even tighter.

Second, I'd look at OAL. You have a longer cartridge, and slide timing issues can cause all sorts of stoppages.

Last, I'd get finicky about ogive shapes and taper crimps.

All these things have to work together.

I had two 1911s that shot perfectly--and I mean +5K without a hiccup. One was a full-size, single stacker Tussey Custom, and the other was a little Detonics. I'd have bet my life on either.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
This is what I purchased for my break in but have not had a chance to get out yet!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
We currently use Freedom Munitions reman, Mr. Chickadee's reloads, & some Federal for range time. In the past we have also used WWB, PMC, American Eagle.

Reactions: Zildjian
1 - 20 of 53 Posts