Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see thread after thread about the Micro9, mostly problems.

Crickets on the EVO. Mine has never had a problem, so nothing to talk about. Is that the reason very little is said about it?

Is it too expensive (not) or too pretty to shoot? Idle curiosity on my part.

·
Registered
841 Posts

Crickets on the EVO. Mine has never had a problem, so nothing to talk about. Is that the reason very little is said about it?

I dont own either, but from my initial observations:
Its a striker fired pistol that competes with hammer fired options from the same company. A company who is known for 1911s.
Its not price. They run the same or less than most other Kimbers, depending on options.
Members with more knowledge than me can probably enlighten you further.

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Super Moderator
37,615 Posts
Personally, I don't care for striker fired handguns.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Everyone has there flavor... I held one checked it out.. but I sold all my strikes... and my Micro 9 fit what I was looking for..think about how many different firearms are out there

·
Registered
74 Posts
Its a striker fired pistol that competes with hammer fired options from the same company. A company who is known for 1911s.
⬆THAT⬆ right there is one of the biggest reasons I bought Kimber as my first SA pistol...and the fact that my wife has two that have been trouble free. I've gone from striker fired to DA/SA to now my first SA. I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the hammer fired format in a pistol. I also wanted one from a company who had a long history of building that style of pistol. Kimber met those constraints.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
I’ve had a few striker-fired Micro guns. I really prefer my Sig P938 over them so I never really considered an Evo. If I was going to buy another Micro it would probably be a Kimber Micro 9 of some sort. Personally, I also think they are expensive considering the competition in the striker-fired micro market.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I am a huge fan of the Evo, I don't understand why they are not more popular. The Micro 9 issues threads are all over this board, Evo's just flat run. And run, and run, and run. Hard to believe it came from the same company that birthed the Solo.

I love 1911s but the Micro isn't a 1911 anyway, get an Ultra or if you want small the Evo just stomps the Micro's.

It's not Kimber either, my Sig P938 was the prettiest trash I ever owned.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am a huge fan of the Evo, I don't understand why they are not more popular. The Micro 9 issues threads are all over this board, Evo's just flat run. And run, and run, and run. Hard to believe it came from the same company that birthed the Solo.

I love 1911s but the Micro isn't a 1911 anyway, get an Ultra or if you want small the Evo just stomps the Micro's.

It's not Kimber either, my Sig P938 was the prettiest trash I ever owned.
Well I think ,
1/ People get scared after the great Reputation of Solo..
2/ The dawn thing cost more than Micro 9 ESV ..
BTW .. Is it normal ?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
One thing my little SIG P938 has going for it, besides much better sights than my Micro 9, is just as accurate, just as reliable, but the SIG has a .22LR conversion unit available. Sweet addition to an already awesome little pistol.

Kimber, are you listening? Helloooooooo........

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
One thing my little SIG P938 has going for it, besides much better sights than my Micro 9, is just as accurate, just as reliable, but the SIG has a .22LR conversion unit available. Sweet addition to an already awesome little pistol.

Kimber, are you listening? Helloooooooo........
:ROFLMAO:

Let's hold our breath🥂

Reactions: Rick in Oregon

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I shot 1911's since I was a kid (1000 years ago) was issued one in the last 16 years of my military service; was my first purchase (and still have); had bought glocks along the way but decided against striker fired so I sold my glocks years ago; and made a conscious decision to stick with hammer fired pistols (read 1911) and revolvers...

·
Registered
5 Posts

I just recently purchased evo s/p two tone 9mm.. I’m really upset that I choose this as my 1 and only personal defense carry handgun. This gun jammed multiple times on. Failure to return to battery. The slide would stop 1/8” from complete battery. Failure to feed. I spent more time clearing jams them firing. Called kimber and informed service rep about the multiple malfunctions. The rep was very professional and helpful. He informed me to return gun for inspection/repairs. I was told it would be 4-6 weeks before I received pistol back. Got it back way sooner just about 2 weeks not even. 4 repairs were made.
*replaced recoil spring
*adjusted extractor
*refinished barrel
*chamber reamed and polished
I’m hoping these repairs will help get rid of the nasty taste in my mouth from feeling like I got bamboozled. I’m optimistic but not confident my evo s/p purchase of $800 will be reassured by kimbers commitment to quality assurance. I hope this helps anyone that may be thinking of purchasing

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just recently purchased evo s/p two tone 9mm.. I’m really upset that I choose this as my 1 and only personal defense carry handgun. This gun jammed multiple times on. Failure to return to battery. The slide would stop 1/8” from complete battery. Failure to feed. I spent more time clearing jams them firing. Called kimber and informed service rep about the multiple malfunctions. The rep was very professional and helpful. He informed me to return gun for inspection/repairs. I was told it would be 4-6 weeks before I received pistol back. Got it back way sooner just about 2 weeks not even. 4 repairs were made.
*replaced recoil spring
*adjusted extractor
*refinished barrel
*chamber reamed and polished
I’m hoping these repairs will help get rid of the nasty taste in my mouth from feeling like I got bamboozled. I’m optimistic but not confident my evo s/p purchase of $800 will be reassured by kimbers commitment to quality assurance. I hope this helps anyone that may be thinking of purchasing
Please keep us updated once you take it to the range.
Keep in mind every gun manufacturer can have a gun come out of the factory with minor variations. The big picture is whether their warranty and customer service will fix the problem. In this case it sounds like you got good service and they turned it around quickly. If this fixes the issue that’s great. If not send it back.
Out of curiosity when you say this is your one and only carry gun, is this your first gun purchase or are you an experienced shooter? Small guns have less mass, which means they also have more felt recoil and stiffer recoil springs. This can lead to grip issues for new shooters and/or people who are new to small size pistols. This happened to me when I first bought a Kahr 9mm some years ago. The gun would jam and I was not confident with it. I was convinced it was the gun and not me, then I trained more and realized it was my technique not the gun. I was not keeping my grip stiff enough causing the gun to not feed/go into battery. One way to find out if it’s the gun or you is to have an experienced shooter or instructor test it out.
If you are not new to guns ignore what I just wrote and take it to the range with different ammo and test it again. Try multiple brands of ammo to see if there is any difference.

·
Registered
792 Posts
No not normal, in fact really unusual. Probably my only nitpick about the Evo is the feed ramp is really steep, so you need to make sure ammo is compatible. I've only had to test carry ammo, the different lengths and profiles of hollow points require confirmation. Any ball just runs and runs. The ramp is so steep mine will not feed Hornady with the rubber tip, it catches. It is not a big fan of Sig V Crowns either, but Gold Dots that look near identical run fine. Anyway you should test carry ammo in any gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please keep us updated once you take it to the range.
Keep in mind every gun manufacturer can have a gun come out of the factory with minor variations. The big picture is whether their warranty and customer service will fix the problem. In this case it sounds like you got good service and they turned it around quickly. If this fixes the issue that’s great. If not send it back.
Out of curiosity when you say this is your one and only carry gun, is this your first gun purchase or are you an experienced shooter? Small guns have less mass, which means they also have more felt recoil and stiffer recoil springs. This can lead to grip issues for new shooters and/or people who are new to small size pistols. This happened to me when I first bought a Kahr 9mm some years ago. The gun would jam and I was not confident with it. I was convinced it was the gun and not me, then I trained more and realized it was my technique not the gun. I was not keeping my grip stiff enough causing the gun to not feed/go into battery. One way to find out if it’s the gun or you is to have an experienced shooter or instructor test it out.
If you are not new to guns ignore what I just wrote and take it to the range with different ammo and test it again. Try multiple brands of ammo to see if there is any difference.
I ran 200 rounds through it today without a single malfunction. Shot beautifully. I’m glad Kimber is a stand up company.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts