Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was driving the father-in-law back from the hospital and was going a little fast on the frontage road. Was in a hurry to get him home for dinner and wasn't paying attention to my speed. A quarter-mile down the road the car approached me had his highbeams on so I gave him a flash of my highbeams and he immediately turned his down but as he got next to me and we were about to pass each other the road lit up with blue and red lights. Oh shit, it's the sheriff!
I was only 50 yards from my turn off to my street so I engaged the turn signal and made a left onto my street pulled over and stopped. I roll down the window turned on the dome lights put my hands at the eleven and one o-clock position on the wheel and waited for him to approach. I hadn't been pulled over in 25 years and when he came to the window I noticed he was a WHITE cop and I was a little nervous because I've heard white cops will beat you up, tase you and maybe even shoot you if they think they can get away with it, right?
What to do? I reverted back to what I was taught as a teenager.
Be respectful, polite, cooperative and call them "sir" (or officer) I was a little bit nervous about telling him that I was armed. He asked me where it was and I told him "appendix". He said "fine" can I see your license? "Yes sir" then he asked me where it was I told him it was in my left rear pocket and he said go ahead and retrieve it for me. With my left hand I reach for my wallet and took the license out in his full view and handed it to him. I thought for sure any minute he was going to jerk me out of the car cuff me, taze me and possibly shoot me on that dark lonely road.
A couple minutes later he came back and handed me my license which I took and placed on the dashboard and returned my hands to the previous position on the steering wheel. I thought "oh no, this is it". He smiled and told me he was going to let me off with a warning and to slow it down. I thanked him in amazement and he returned to his vehicle.
Oh, did I mention I was white and my privilege worked for me again.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Nice. Wish it was always like that.

We had a very similar experience whist returning from the Orygun coast last year, just wifey, me and the girls.

Open road, little traffic, clear sunny day. With almost no traffic, I was zipping along in my Audi at about 85 or so, and got busted right at the crest of a hill where my Passport didn't pick up the radar signal. Like you Cuca, I was armed and just as polite.

The Stater asked me about my weapon, told him where it was. He had me slowly hand him the pistol along with my ID. I have my Veterans ID in there, along with my old Sheriff's Deputy ID. Not that it made any difference, but I was wearing one of my Navy ball caps. He came back to the car to give me a warning and told me to cool it down a bit, wished us a good day, handed me my Smith M642 w/speedloader and ID and off we went. Phew! A warning when busted cold at 30 mph over!

Moral: Common sense and courtesy will get you out of a jam better than a quick temper and an attitude. The guy is just doing his job. :)

Guess my white privilege worked here too...... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rick, haven't you learned by now that the crest of the hill is a very dangerous place. About 10 years ago,it was on Mother's Day, I had the wife on the back of the scooter and my son on his scooter behind me and we were coming up to the crest of a hill and to my surprise appearing at the last second was a car passing a slower car he crossed the double yellow line coming up his side of the crest and nearly got in a head on collision with it.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Rick, haven't you learned by now that the crest of the hill is a very dangerous place.
Guess I'm a slow learner Cuca. :eek: But I'm a bit smarter now.......

Sure glad your encounter ended well. It sure could have been a much different outcome. :eek: You'd think I'd have learned by now, as when I was a Harley chopper rider in CA years ago, similar encounters were fairly common with all the traffic there. It's a wonder some of us are still here.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Small town life is great. I know most of the county and local officers, and a few of the State boys at the local post.
Former Sheriff is a friend and newly elected Sheriff went to school with my wife.
Ive bought guns from a few local and retired Leo's.
The odds of me having an issue with any LEO over carrying is slim to none.
I'm pretty sure it has more to do with just living a basically law abiding life than being white.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Well, Bernie says if you write a best-selling book you can be a millionaire too. So. There ya go.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I always have my license, registration, and carry permit out and on the dash before they get to the car. My hands are on the steering wheel. No reaching for the wallet required.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I always have my license, registration, and carry permit out and on the dash before they get to the car. My hands are on the steering wheel. No reaching for the wallet required.
That's stated like it happens often. :oops:

·
Registered
949 Posts
A lack of criminal history, and no moving violations for 20 years or so will go much farther than white privilege.

Reactions: Argee

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nice. Wish it was always like that.

We had a very similar experience whist returning from the Orygun coast last year, just wifey, me and the girls.

Open road, little traffic, clear sunny day. With almost no traffic, I was zipping along in my Audi at about 85 or so, and got busted right at the crest of a hill where my Passport didn't pick up the radar signal. Like you Cuca, I was armed and just as polite.

The Stater asked me about my weapon, told him where it was. He had me slowly hand him the pistol along with my ID. I have my Veterans ID in there, along with my old Sheriff's Deputy ID. Not that it made any difference, but I was wearing one of my Navy ball caps. He came back to the car to give me a warning and told me to cool it down a bit, wished us a good day, handed me my Smith M642 w/speedloader and ID and off we went. Phew! A warning when busted cold at 30 mph over!

Moral: Common sense and courtesy will get you out of a jam better than a quick temper and an attitude. The guy is just doing his job. :)

Guess my white privilege worked here too...... :rolleyes:
The one that worked for you was "the old sheriff ID" or get a badge. Ive seen that work on the highway. In my sub we have a former fireman and he keeps a badge, I know he has shown it to me when I suggested he was over the 25 posted speed. He lives next sub west(private) where they have the balls to post at 15, yet many from down there drive 35-40 thru our sub.

Rules for thee but not for me..

He is now a county commissioner so no deputy will ever tag him.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
GET YOURS TODAY!!!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Hahaha I love the Hodge twins! What are the odds, I'm listening to them right now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts