Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like an opinion from someone who has owned one.
  • Weight and balance
  • Reliability
  • Holsters
  • Suitability, experiences with carry, target, or compete
  • Finish and durability in use

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t own one but I found one for sale.

That's a nice-looking pistol. Night Patrol has a ring to it. Like Night Moves. Workin' on mysteries without any clues.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I'm not a fan of full size 1911 alloy frames unless it's specifically for carry. I understand the lower price is attractive, but unless a person really wants to carry a full size 1911 I think the cheap price is attractive for the wrong reasons.

I have a Special Edition Pro with an alloy frame. I don't use it for carry so I consider it a photogenic waste of money rather than being a 'good deal'. Prefer a steel frame for range use.

Air gun Everyday carry Tableware Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for @ChattanoogaPhil. Thanks! It's very unlikely that I would find myself carrying a full-size 1911 as an EDC. More likely for home, range/target, and a fine specimen for the collection. There are few guns I just enjoy shooting more than a well-made 1911 and a Beretta 92/96.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I would like an opinion from someone who has owned one.
  • Weight and balance
  • Reliability
  • Holsters
  • Suitability, experiences with carry, target, or compete
  • Finish and durability in use
Bought one last year. I honestly liked it. well balanced little recoill & very accurate. Ran beautifully. I sold it a few months ago only because I used on the range to big to carry concealed. For my edc I use a ultra carry, sometimes a pro carry Also have a pro raptor which I use on the range. Bottom line hardly used it so it went to a new home.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Depending on what your shipping and FFL fees are
+1 Lisa. I always look for no cc fees and low or no shipping on GB. I shop around until I find my price. The nearest local gun shop (also civilization in general) is a long drive, and they have jacked prices of firearms beyond my comfort level. My go-to FFL is a guy who runs it out of his home not too far from me, and he only asks $25. All the local shops have raised the transfer fee to $50 and some $60. No way I'm paying that either.

I live in a remote beach area - basically an island. No roads. Strictly 4x4 until you get to the pavement ten miles away. The downside of living in paradise is that everything is an hour and a half away.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I own one, and I really like it a lot. I use it for Home defense. to big to carry, but I do have a Wright Leather works holster and one from tier 1. I carry it around the house sometimes.
Mine is 9mm and I just like shooting it.
I like the idea of light weight. Then again, the heft of a steel frame gun is beneficial at the range. I'm definitely going with .45. If I were in the market for a 9mm 1911, the aluminum frame with a shorter barrel would be a big plus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Custom LW night patrol 1911 in 9mm. Due o the smaller caliber, and 10 rd capacity the aluminum frame makes sense. it is to me, well balanced and shoots typically to POA. Its still failry heavy for a 9mm and the full size grip, 5" barrel inspires confidence. To the all steel purists on the 1911 platform, there's nothing wrong with having both. They are not mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I live in a remote beach area - basically an island. No roads. Strictly 4x4 until you get to the pavement ten miles away. The downside of living in paradise is that everything is an hour and a half away.
I hear that!
For years I lived and worked in a logging camp on an island in BC. I soon realized that we were totally dependent on the ferry to get to the mainland, and their schedule, and fees. I'll never ever live on an island again; much too restrictive.

Plus the Canadian gun laws are draconian, too much for this freedom loving guy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I spent a big chunk of my adult life in Seattle. Ample time in Portlandia as well. I loved the PNW. Not a fan of the politics though. Liberals, liberals everywhere ... yet common sense is in short supply.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Yup, agree, it's turned into libtard-land.
Too old to move now, but if I was 25 years younger, it would be an entirely different story.

But the big game and varmint hunting, plus fishing is absolutely stellar here, so other than politics, it's still a great place to live. Stuck, but not bummed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bought the 9mm with optics early on and really like it. I've probably put a thousand rounds through it with no issues. I don't cary it and use it as a range toy. If it were anything other than 9mm I'd prefer a steel frame. My 45's and 38 supers are all steel and my 9mm's are alloy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts