Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Too soon to help, but I am braking in a colt commander, Kimber pro carry II, and a full size kimber classic all steel. Due to arthritis in trigger finger, I had to trade in the Sigs because of the sa/da long arced trigger pull. So far, I like them all. 230 grain jacketed bullets, 231 ball powder. Carry definitely makes a difference with the pro carry kimber compared to the all steel colt commander. You gotta like the feel and balance of all steel FS or Cmdr size. Just plain steadier.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Too soon to help, but I am braking in a colt commander, Kimber pro carry II, and a full size kimber classic all steel. Due to arthritis in trigger finger, I had to trade in the Sigs because of the sa/da long arced trigger pull. So far, I like them all. 230 grain jacketed bullets, 231 ball powder. Carry definitely makes a difference with the pro carry kimber compared to the all steel colt commander. You gotta like the feel and balance of all steel FS or Cmdr size. Just plain steadier.
You have to sell a kidney to pay for the ammo to break in three new pistols! :)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I carry an Ultra in .45 acp.
It's a 3 inch 1911 with aluminum frame.
Recoil really isn't an issue.
It's more than a steel frame, but it's a small, reliable, CCW pistol chambered in a large caliber.
There is going to be some trade off.

I handload, but, of course, I cannot find primers. I have been thinking about a sling and stones. Probably Obiden would engineer a stone shortage.
Unless you are sitting on a mountain of primers, I would suggest just buying your training ammo and keeping your stash in reserve for the future, until primers return to the common market.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like mine. Fiber optic front sight, no Swartz safety, accurate, great price. Mine is the stainless version. Soft shooting with my 165 PF competition loads. Fits my 1911 holsters. I put a Kimber ambi thumb safety, a stainless mag well, and a Wilson GI length flat wire guide rod with a 17 lb recoil spring in it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have one in 9mm, and I will echo what PaulR said -- "Well balanced little recoil & very accurate. Ran [runs] beautifully."
Everyone who has shot it loves it. I think that the LW 9mm is a screaming bargain.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The yeas among those who have the LW seem to outnumber the nays. Perhaps the LW may be my first foray into a 9mm 1911. I don't have one in my stable and never really gave it a lot of thought. I have recently pulled my 1911s out of the safe and asked myself why I don't shoot them more.

·
Registered
15,328 Posts
The yeas among those who have the LW seem to outnumber the nays. Perhaps the LW may be my first foray into a 9mm 1911. I don't have one in my stable and never really gave it a lot of thought. I have recently pulled my 1911s out of the safe and asked myself why I don't shoot them more.
If your thinking about a 1911 in 9mm may I suggest you consider something in the 9mm Ultra line-up. Like a Stainless Ultra Carry or something a little more flashy but still functional a Sapphire Ultra and many other choices in-between.
Wood Everyday carry Hunting knife Knife Blade
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I have an Ultra Carry in 45. Also S&W 1911 Pro Series with the 3.5 in barrel. I was interested in the 9mm and like the idea of a lighter frame with a 9mm. I have a Micro 9 and a Solo. My thinking is sourcing something a little higher up in the food chain (mostly bigger) and lighter, but faithful to the 1911 pattern.

·
Registered
15,328 Posts
Both the Ultras I posted pics of are 9mm. One of the best Kimber 9’s I had was a Sapphire Pro (sold to fellow member).
I recently purchased a Stainless Raptor Custom in 9mm that already had a threaded barrel fitted and installed. If you can locate one a Aegis Elite Pro (OR) 9mm would be my first choice!
How much does a Kimber LW weigh?

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Wow. Kimber's website sucks.

In 9mm, The Stainless LW 01 weighs 31 oz empty That's an aluminum frame long slide. The aluminum frame Ultra Carry and Pro Carry II are less, 26 and 28 oz empty, respectively. In general, looks like the difference is between 8-10 oz aluminum vs. steel frame.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’ve been watching and hoping prices would get back to, or at least close to pre -pandemic pricing on a Stainless Carry Pro 9mm. The pricing on that 9mm Night Patrol is making it very tempting. LOL

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I like the idea of light weight. Then again, the heft of a steel frame gun is beneficial at the range. I'm definitely going with .45. If I were in the market for a 9mm 1911, the aluminum frame with a shorter barrel would be a big plus.
I use my all steel pro raptor .45 on the range & shoots like dream. my ultra carry 9mm is my EDC.

Attachments

21 - 38 of 38 Posts