Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Solo forum but could fit any forum here.

Kimber makes high end firearms. 1000k give or take a few bucks, mostly give though.

So why does every Kimber owner such as myself, I own 2 guns, both Kimbers, have to endure break in periods with so much drama?

Example, I was so worried about my Solo. Nightmares galore on the WWW describing all kinds of Solo failures. But I took the plunge and the first 100, so far so good.

Then I see a post about a member's Solo having a double feed jam after 200 flawless rounds.

Kimber CS is top notch is all I hear. They'll make it right. Kimber shouldn't even need a CS dept. except to take glorious reviews over the phone.

Now I'm a lil worried about this double feed jam thing. I tease my friends about their $300-$400 plastic semi autos. But they NEVER have troubles.

I guess this post is for any Dr. Phil. types. Why do I feel the need to buy a gun at a high price that is prone to have troubles and trips to shop over more dependable less money autos??

Maybe im just having a moment and will feel all warm again in a few hours about my brand loyalty to Kimber. But still there's just this nagging thingy in the back of my mind. I hope I can squash it.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I love my Kimbers and they have never given me a lick of trouble. Well made, quality firearms, with class and style. Any precision instrument that hat parts moving against each other at high speed is going to take a little break in to wear properly. Even car engines are supposed to be broken in, and no one complains about that.

·
Super Moderator
5,192 Posts
Kimber makes a fine product. You hear many more complaints then praises for any product. We recommend Kimber service because it is top notch and will take care of any problems that do and will happen. Sleep well, Kimbers are good!!

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
Besides the Solo our other 3 Kimbers have never given us a problen whatsoever.
I just think the tolerances are so tight and like GMountain replied,ya have to break it in like anything else.
Don't lose sleep over something ya can't control and go out and enjoy your Kimber.
As far as the naysayers talking bad about our brand...I will quote my grandfather...

"I don't care if you put a pile of shit in a perfume factory.You might smell it for a minute, but the quality of the perfume will overcome the smell."

·
Super Moderator
5,192 Posts
Besides the Solo our other 3 Kimbers have never given us a problen whatsoever.
I just think the tolerances are so tight and like GMountain replied,ya have to break it in like anything else.
Don't lose sleep over something ya can't control and go out and enjoy your Kimber.
As far as the naysayers talking bad about our brand...I will quote my grandfather...

"I don't care if you put a pile of shit in a perfume factory.You might smell it for a minute, but the quality of the perfume will overcome the smell."
Well there you go!!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I cannot speak anything about the Solo. I wish I could get my hands on one to tear down and mess with to see what all the chatter pro and con is about but I am not interested enough to by one.

In regards to the 1911 line I can speak of the good and the minor bad things that are easily addressed but do not seem to be by kimber. The break in is something I do not have the patience for and because I have been through so many I can check and make. Odds films before the first and have no issues. People just need to remember these are production guns and by far are not the only ones that need a wear in period to lap and mate parts.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've only owned one Kimber and haven't had it that long. I only have ~220 rounds through it. For me, it was one of those situations where, when I saw it, I had to have it. I did a lot of research before hand because I was looking for an EDC gun. I went back and forth between 1911's and many others. I think I read too much. So much I got tired of reading, lol. I knew I wanted a weapon that was fairly thin and I wanted it in .45. The 1911 fit the bill for me. I saw the Comapct Stainless II and I had to have it. I brushed off all of the negative hoopla, and the positive hoopla for that matter and figured I would come to my own conclusions after having owned it. Moral of the story - No regrets whatsoever. Love the damn thing........

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Want some logic? Watch the evening news. All you hear is the bad stuff. If you used that as any measure of our society you would think the entire country is about to implode. Yes, we do have some problems, but by far, BY FAR, the good out weighs the bad.

Read the 1911Forum sometime. Even the $2,500 to $4,000 guns have their problems from time to time. So, I guess my suggestion is to change your focus. Remember why you chose that gun to begin with. Remember how it looks, how it feels in your hand, how you love the way it shoots. Then if there is the occasional issue, deal with it and move on.

My Kimber goes *BANG* every time I pull the trigger, and shoots way better than the guy holding it.

·
Super Moderator
38,381 Posts
Every manufacturing company has a service department, from companies that sell $5.00 products to something like Lockheeds F-35 fighter Jet that's priced in the neighborhood of $100,000,000.00 dollars each. The higher the performance level expected from the product the higher the initial setup and fine tuning it's going to need. Kimber is a production gun with custom features at a price between a stock gun and a full custom gun. A lot of what you're paying for in an Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Les Baer etc is the hand fitting and lapping they do before you receive it. This is what your doing during the break in period. If that's unacceptable then save some money and buy a plastic production gun that in all probability never give you a problem, just don't expect it to shoot better then you or make the little hairs on the back of your neck stand up on end when you fondle it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Have never had any issues with my Solo. Another 65 fun rounds today. I researched the hell out of the issues people complained about. Take Solo out of the google search and every manufacturer for every gun and every make and model come up. All gun makes, car makes, have issues. As someone mentioned with the news they will exploit 200 people die in plane crash today, but never mention 10,000,000 did not. Enjoy your Solo,or any other Kimber. You have quality,

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Well said, Oreste. ;)

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Anyone, besides me, remember when everyone said you had to buy Jaguar cars two at a time? One to drive while the other was in the shop. Yet, Jaguar cars are very stylish and popular. Fine automobiles, but a little bit quirky. Even BMW and Mercedes have their minor issues. So those who say, forget Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes and buy a Toyota, they should buy a Toyota and leave everyone else alone to enjoy their quality product.

Reactions: Oreste
1 - 14 of 14 Posts