Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive heard everything from tight fitting components, to poor QC, and the requirement to use premium ammo (whatever that is), to needing to be run very “wet”....
Just got my first Kimber, love the look and feel of it, but there are so many complaints floating around online, it’s tough to navigate. Do we have a bunch of folks with improper grip using rusty Tula, and as everything on line, the squeaky wheel gets the grease?
Thanks in advance. Looking forward to hear from folks who have had the experience.....

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
First, welcome to the KT forum, and congrats on your new Kimber.

Second, I'm now convinced that the internet whiners that bash any brand of firearm, will do so in very small numbers when compared to how many units are sold with no owner problems, real or imagined. Like many here, I've got more Kimbers than any other brand, and in the 25 years I've been shooting Kimbers, absolutely no issues whatever. I've sent in slides for new night sights, had one used pistol completely rebuilt by the factory, and every encounter with their CS has been satisfactory.

But there is always someone with an ax to grind, and they always seem to be the most vocal, so keep that in mind.

BTW, great screen name!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rick, that’s kind of how I was looking at it. Got my Micro 9 from a buddy who has put about 50 rounds through it (kept it wet), and we made a trade. He had no FTF or stove pipes, but did let me know that the safety lever had to be moved up in conjunction with racking the slide. I said “ok”, and messed around with it, finding that if you pressed slightly down on the hammer, the safety moved easily into the safe position. Called CS the other day, got nothing but courteous service and a pre-paid shipping label to check it out for me. I know we are now living in a world where folks like to get pissed over nothing, expect everything they want yesterday, and all that. I was just pleased that I was treated well by the Kimber CS. FWIW, I’ve got a bunch of other guns I can carry, but was intrigued by the quality of the fit and finish on my simple SS base model M9....now to find a laser grip to play with that someone is tired of....

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
All manufacturers have problems from time to time. It doesn’t matter how much you spend. How they handle those problems are what separates good and bad companies. Kimber does a pretty good job with customer service.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i have a stainless LW 9mm put various brands of ammo thru it about 500 rounds & no issues what so ever. Just field strip it clean & lube with FP10 every time after use & your good to go. Good luck with your new toy

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm happy with my SS Micro 9, but it had to go back to Kimber. Customer service was great and everything was fixed. It does make me wonder, though - everything they did under warranty could have been done before it left the factory. Polishing the feed ramp and chamber, replacing the spring on the mag release, adjusting the ejector all seem like quality control things to me. From a business standpoint, it makes more sense to do it right the first time rather than paying shipping both ways and dealing with a disappointed customer. I realize that every company lets one slip through occasionally and that some people are just unreasonable about it. But Kimber can and should do better, if only to meet the quality standards they espouse in their advertising.

·
Registered
14,005 Posts
NONE of the 1911 Kimber's I've bought new or used have required a trip back to Kimber for warranty or service of any kind due to malfunctions. I have never owned a Micro, Micro9, Solo, K6.
The hit or miss IMO is a combination of several issues, we could blame new owners, ammo etc. but I think the majority of the problem falls on the shoulders of Kimber, lack of finishing the assembly process, testing and QC.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Not a single hiccup from my Ultra Carry II .45.
It has been flawless since day 1 with every kind of random range ammo from cheap aluminum case ball, to hollowpoints.
I shoot it a few times a month.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have purchased 4 Kimber's. 3 Micro 9's and a Micro .380...not a single hiccup with any of them. All shot to point of aim right out of the box.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My micro 9 shot to point of aim right out of box too. I have had no gun related hiccups at all with about 150 rounds thru it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have two kimbers, stainless II 45 and a ultra carry 45. Right out of the box, no complaints. I actually just purchased my ultra carry last Tuesday, qualified with it on Friday. Didn’t shoot it before hand and honestly it shot like a dream when I qualified. Very pleased with both handguns. Like someone stated everything and every manufacturer is gonna have a slip up. The good thing about Kimbers from friends is they always try to make it right. Customer service is a forgotten service these days and Kimber makes it a priority. Loyal customer for sure!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ive heard everything from tight fitting components, to poor QC, and the requirement to use premium ammo (whatever that is), to needing to be run very “wet”....
Just got my first Kimber, love the look and feel of it, but there are so many complaints floating around online, it’s tough to navigate. Do we have a bunch of folks with improper grip using rusty Tula, and as everything on line, the squeaky wheel gets the grease?
Thanks in advance. Looking forward to hear from folks who have had the experience.....
I have the micro, micro 9, custom II 45, and a K6s. No problems at all! Love these things, as well as the five Kimber rifles that I have! I guess the best thing about the dissatisfied whiners is that I get great deals on their lightly used trade ins!!! About half of mine were purchased used! Enjoy your new Kimber and welcome!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
It's AMAZING how much my grip improved once I got my Micro 9 back from Kimber.
Sometimes owners come to 'grips' with their issue. Sometimes they move on and sometimes they keep bitching about their Micro 9. Usually the latter. 🦴

Reactions: Aviator and 2sharp2

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my first Kimber, a Micro 9 ST it came with one mag and I bought a second mag, OEM Kimber.
I lubed the gun, made sure no machining residue was in the works, loaded both mags with FMJ and a couple of HPs to be sure they would cycle also. The first mag I couldn't fire more than 2 shots without a failure to cycle, no matter what ammo. second mag would drop out after every shot. I called Kimber and got a RAM to send it back a few days later I was notified it was on the way back
I have fired about 5 mags worth through it since then and it has performed well.
I need to fire lots more through it before trusing it completely and will, but ammo is scarce right now!
I have the following 9MM pistols, Beretta 92SB, Glock 17both way over 20 yrs old, also a Ruger LC9S only a couple of years old, all fired flawless right out of the box. I don't understand how Kimber quality control has dropped the ball with, not all, but many Micro 9's
Steve W

·
Registered
812 Posts
The Micro 9 seems to be what keeps Kimber CS in business. Sig's P938 is no better if not worse.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
...I have a Micro 9mm and Micro .380... both are very fine pistols... ...cleaned both thoroughly before shooting... ...the Micro .380 ran like it was supposed to/read no issues whatsoever...(did breakin with the slide wet) ...The Micro 9mm...here is what I learned:
1. clean thoroughly before shooting
2. gun has tight tolerances, liked the slide wet during the breakin (read 400+ rounds)
3. loaded magazines, tapped to seat rounds, and firmly seated the magazine
4. use 124 grain FMJ during breakin
5. requires firm grip
6. my right thumb has a tendency to ride up on the lower portion of the slide which slows the recoil sequence causing FTF & FTE issues (read large hand and small gun--amazing that wasn't an issue with the Micro .380)
7. the gun now has 800+ rounds thru it and POA is POI and is very reliable...

1 - 20 of 69 Posts