Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
...I have a Micro 9mm and Micro .380... both are very fine pistols... ...cleaned both thoroughly before shooting... ...the Micro .380 ran like it was supposed to/read no issues whatsoever...(did breakin with the slide wet) ...The Micro 9mm...here is what I learned:
1. clean thoroughly before shooting
2. gun has tight tolerances, liked the slide wet during the breakin (read 400+ rounds)
3. loaded magazines, tapped to seat rounds, and firmly seated the magazine
4. use 124 grain FMJ during breakin
5. requires firm grip
6. my right thumb has a tendency to ride up on the lower portion of the slide which slows the recoil sequence causing FTF & FTE issues (read large hand and small gun--amazing that wasn't an issue with the Micro .380)
7. the gun now has 800+ rounds thru it and POA is POI and is very reliable...
Reason why the problem of big hands small gun is more prevalent with the Micro 9 than the Micro 380 is the recoil. There definitely more recoil in a 9mm than a 380 in the same gun weight and size.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Micro 9 seems to be what keeps Kimber CS in business. Sig's P938 is no better if not worse.
I have one of each (Micro 9 Black Ice, P938 Legion). Both are high quality tools that share a few quirks. Chief quirk is that limp wrists lead to either an FTE or FTL. Every time. My operating theory is that when the wrists break, the hands/arms absorb enough of the recoil to depower (for lack of a better word; no, I'm not a gunsmith) the cycling of the slide. Really limp wrists get you an FTE. Somewhat limp wrists gets an FTL. At least in my experience, and the experience my wife was having shooting them. Side note: too loose grip seems to cause issues, too, although you don't need to hold either pistol in a death grip for proper functioning.

As to quality of manufacture, the Black Ice has obviously, to me, tighter tolerances than the Legion. The P938 also has this interesting, hemispherical bump on the bottom of the slide (don't know the name for the flat section under the top of the slide that seems to serve as the means for stripping next round out of magazine; if I had to guess I'd say the function of the bump on the Sig is to put pressure on the next round in the magazine when the slide is forward...but I'm guessing), whereas the Micro 9 is perfectly flat in that area. Other than that, I call them equivalent tools, either of which serve the purpose they were designed and purchased for when operated properly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't understand why anyone would limp wrist any handgun. Especially in a self defense situation. Limp wrist means longer to get sights back on target for a follow-up shot. Everyone should practice with that in mind. Everyone should be training in rapid fire mode and that will eliminate wristing the gun.

·
Super Moderator
38,415 Posts
I don't understand why anyone would limp wrist any handgun. Especially in a self defense situation. Limp wrist means longer to get sights back on target for a follow-up shot. Everyone should practice with that in mind. Everyone should be training in rapid fire mode and that will eliminate lol wristing the gun.
I highly doubt they are doing it intentionally, as you said practice, practice, practice. The problem is the price and lack of ammo makes getting sufficient practice impossible for a lot of people.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I highly doubt they are doing it intentionally, as you said practice, practice, practice. The problem is the price and lack of ammo makes getting sufficient practice impossible for a lot of people.
I agree of not being intentionally done. Hand size can be a huge factor. Just an example. My wife has the Belair 9mm micro and can shoot it all day long with no malfunctions. I have a Glock 26 that’s as reliable as the day is long, BUT put it in her hands and it will stove pipe every mag. Her hands are too small for the fatter grip. I think a lot of the problems with the micros are grip specific and the users hand size. Most can be worked out with practice (when you can find ammo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree of not being intentionally done. Hand size can be a huge factor. Just an example. My wife has the Belair 9mm micro and can shoot it all day long with no malfunctions. I have a Glock 26 that’s as reliable as the day is long, BUT put it in her hands and it will stove pipe every mag. Her hands are too small for the fatter grip. I think a lot of the problems with the micros are grip specific and the users hand size. Most can be worked out with practice (when you can find ammo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speaking of ammo, I can't understand how a gunshop can sell a gun and not at least try to provide a box of ammo with it. One local shop in my area has ammo under the counter and only available to a new gun buyer.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Speaking of ammo, I can't understand how a gunshop can sell a gun and not at least try to provide a box of ammo with it. One local shop in my area has ammo under the counter and only available to a new gun buyer.
That's a smart businessman.
My local LGS keep a box of ammo available for every gun the sell except rim fire.
Sometimes that seals the deal.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I do believe that there are misses by all gun manufacturers, but I also believe there are more hits by Kimber than other manufacturers. The only problem that the ones who happen to get the misses are more likely to tell others about them than the ones that get the hits.

·
Registered
235 Posts
When I recently purchased my new Shield Plus there was no ammo to be seen on the shelves, but a box magically appeared when we were writing up the deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a lot of problems with my Micro 9 that appeared mysteriously after a fairly successful first 100 rounds or so.

Different types and brands of ammo, and I was getting light strikes, FTFs, FTF, stovepipes, jams, etc. Before I sent it back to Kimber, I stripped it down as far as I could get it, cleaned it shiny inside and out, put it back together on the drippy side, and took it to the range. I put the next 100 rounds through it with no problems until the very last round which jammed on feeding.

I like the gun, the trigger is fantastic, but I find I do not shoot it very accurately probably because it doesn’t fit my hand very well. I also do not have high confidence in it as a carry gun. I won’t get rid of it, I like it too much, but my carry gun is a Sig P365. It’s been super reliable, eats any ammo I put in it, I can carry a lot more ammo in it, and I find it to be amazingly accurate for having a 3” barrel.

The Kimber is a work of art. I just find the Sig suits my every day needs better.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had a lot of problems with my Micro 9 that appeared mysteriously after a fairly successful first 100 rounds or so.

Different types and brands of ammo, and I was getting light strikes, FTFs, FTF, stovepipes, jams, etc. Before I sent it back to Kimber, I stripped it down as far as I could get it, cleaned it shiny inside and out, put it back together on the drippy side, and took it to the range. I put the next 100 rounds through it with no problems until the very last round which jammed on feeding.

I like the gun, the trigger is fantastic, but I find I do not shoot it very accurately probably because it doesn’t fit my hand very well. I also do not have high confidence in it as a carry gun. I won’t get rid of it, I like it too much, but my carry gun is a Sig P365. It’s been super reliable, eats any ammo I put in it, I can carry a lot more ammo in it, and I find it to be amazingly accurate for having a 3” barrel.

The Kimber is a work of art. I just find the Sig suits my every day needs better.
I too had a P365. I didn't care for it as I felt the grip was to small. I liked the feel of my wife's Micro 9 in my hand better. I installed a Hogue Soft Over Molded Rubber Grip and she found it filled her hand better and I had to agree. Long sorry short..I kicked the Sig to the curb and bought a Micro 9 Rapide for myself and replaced the G10 grip on it with the Hogue's. I also have a P365XL and a Shield Plus that I rotate my Micro 9 with. I find I'm carrying the latter more often because of its size and shootability. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Kimber earned a good reputation with the 1911 platform, and particularly high praise for the reliability of the 3in. Other platforms like the Solo, Micro whatever... not so much.

As far as guns that require a clinically correct grip to function... that's not a gun that I would consider worthy of carry to defend my life. Too many variables in a self defense situation to rely on a gun that only works in ideal conditions.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Kimber earned a good reputation with the 1911 platform, and particularly high praise for the reliability of the 3in. Other platforms like the Solo, Micro whatever... not so much.

As far as guns that require a clinically correct grip to function... that's not a gun that I would consider worthy of carry to defend my life. Too many variables in a self defense situation to rely on a gun that only works in ideal conditions.
That is where practice comes in. Muscle memory is what a person needs. That way there is no thinking needed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
That is where practice comes in. Muscle memory is what a person needs. That way there is no thinking needed.
I agree! It’s just like I preached to my daughter as she grew up playing softball. You need to “know” ahead of time, what you are going to do if the ball is hit to you on “every” pitch! If you have to think about it, it’s already too late! It’s that “situational awareness” thing again!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

This is true.
My Ultra .45 (3 inch 1911) is utterly flawless.
Eats everything and shoots to point of aim.
It will go bang every single time.

Reactions: stockmaker
21 - 40 of 69 Posts