Kimber Talk Forums banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
My wife's Micro 9 as well as my Micro 9 Rapide have been flawless to date. Any mass produced firearm manufacturer is going to have some slip thru the cracks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Shot over 800 rounds on my rapide micro, at first I was not shooting as accurately like I do with my pro carry & LW SS. But now my accuracy is improving, it’s a bit of a different animal it takes a little time to adjust. Bottom line is practice & repitition. Like somebody mentioned muscle memory. I also had to adjust my grip since there is a bit more recoil. And best of all the gun runs beautiful. Always clean & lube after each use.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree! It’s just like I preached to my daughter as she grew up playing softball. You need to “know” ahead of time, what you are going to do if the ball is hit to you on “every” pitch! If you have to think about it, it’s already too late! It’s that “situational awareness” thing again!
No matter what in a self defense situation a person has to hold the gun the same way all the time. Any other way and you are just spraying bullets all over endangering others as well as yourself. Others with stray bullets yourself with giving the perp extra time to down you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took my new Micro 9 to the range last weekend. I disassembled, cleaned, and lubed beforehand. I shot about 120 rounds and could not get through one mag without FTE's. Some of the cases were half way out of the barrel, some hadn't moved at all. I have a LW Stainless 9 that has never had one issue whatsoever. I used Browning FMJ ammo but will try a different brand this weekend. How is Kimber's customer service regarding returning a gun for repair?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Thanks. I'll give it another try this weekend first.
Pay attention to your grip and make sure you arent touching the slide at all.

Kimber has some of the best customer service in the firearms industry, and without a doubt the fastest turn around time.
Average is about 10 days.
Just be polite when you call them and they will hook you up like a tow truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Kimber has some of the best customer service in the firearms industry, and without a doubt the fastest turn around time.
I'll make sure on the grip this weekend. Hopefully I get a better result.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a micro 9 stainless , bought Feb, 2021. When I first used it I could not get more than a couple of rounds off without a failure.
The spare magazine, (by Kimber) I bought, would drop out after every round fired.
I called Kimber got the paperwork to send back and did so. They reworked it and had it back quite fast.
I have only fired about 50 rds through it since but it hasn't had any problem since it was returned. Very good!
But why the faulty work by Kimber to begin with? I have 3 other brands of 9mm pistol bought new, no problems with any of them.
Ammo is expensive now, I need to shoot a bunch more before having confidence in the Micro 9.
Steve W

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
But why the faulty work by Kimber to begin with? I have 3 other brands of 9mm pistol bought new, no problems with any of them.
Ammo is expensive now, I need to shoot a bunch more before having confidence in the Micro 9.
Steve W
Are those other 9mms as small as the Micro9, and are they all metal?

Tiny metal 9mm pistols are finicky.
It's not so much faulty work, it's the design and size.
A quick trip back usually solves the issue.

Sometimes metal pistols need a little extra hand fitting.
More so with micro sized ones.

·
Registered
203 Posts

Amen.

·
Registered
10 Posts

The letter from Kimber with the Micro 9's return mentioned work done:
Adjusted extractor
Replaced magazine catch spring
Polished: feed ramp, chamber, firing pin housing, and breech face.

As I mentioned, so far after a box of ammo through it has worked fine, I hope it continues.
I don't use reloaded ammo.
Steve W

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The letter from Kimber with the Micro 9's return mentioned work done:
Adjusted extractor
Replaced magazine catch spring
Polished: feed ramp, chamber, firing pin housing, and breech face.

As I mentioned, so far after a box of ammo through it has worked fine, I hope it continues.
I don't use reloaded ammo.
Steve W
Excellent!

Extractor adjustment was most likely the issue.
The polishing and springs were a bit of extra love.

Sounds like it should run great.
The more you shoot it, the better the parts will mesh and work.

Kimber sells a shit ton of guns and the Micro 9 is a very hot selling gun.
Most Micro9 owners love them.

Anything mass produced will have a few hiccups.
Somtimes its just the nature of the beast.

The Solo was another neat little Kimber that just didn't work well due to its design.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
DOH! He said Solo...

·
Registered
5 Posts

I tried different ammo this weekend and had much better results. Very few issues out of 150 rounds fired. No FTE's like last week. The only issue I'm still having, which was only two or three times, was that after cycling a round, the trigger would not pull on the loaded round. I barely moved the slide back and returned it and it would fire. Maybe a disconnector issue? Maybe it will clear itself up.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Was it a little out of battery maybe?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I believe it was. Maybe just needs more work to loosen up a bit?
When I picked up my new Micro 9 Rapide weather precluded me from going to my outdoor range to put some shots down the pipe. I spent my time working the action and reading about issues with Micro 9's on this very forum. Even though I had purchased two other flawlessly operating Micro 9's (one for my wife and one for my daughter) it was enough to alarm me as I bided my time. I would sit in my recliner and work the slide in hundred count increments. I did that several times. The gain was I was meshing the parts together and working the required muscle group to actuate the Rapide's heavier slide spring. During the course of all this and trying to ward off any perceived imperfections I polished the feed ramp and related parts with Mother's. I noticed the part of the slide (I'm lost for a name for it) that rides on top of the magazine had wore some of the color off the coating from operating some of the dummy loads. While I had extra time on my hands I polished it too. When I finally got it out to the range it performed flawlessly. It has several hundred rounds thru it now and has had no hiccups. It's hard to say what I did to it helped or not...but it sure as hell didn't hurt. The key takeaway I learned is to take anything you read with a grain of salt and see what works for you. For what your experiencing it could be a weak slide spring, limp wristing or even an errant thumb impeding the slide action. A little wordy but I hope it helps.

·
Super Moderator
38,415 Posts
As far as you racking the slide and dry firing the gun, you did what I do with every new gun I buy. In some cases, I've applied toothpaste (not gel) to the rails and use it to hone the rails. Yes, it works, and you won't harm the gun, just be sure to clean ALL the toothpaste off and lube the gun well.

Reactions: stockmaker

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Wilson Combat recommends a similar method of not cleaning a new gun for a few hundred rounds. The idea is to allow shooting residue to work like a fine compound to help smooth mating surfaces (as Chuck recommends toothpaste). Keep it lubed with a light viscosity oil... no grease. Wilson also recommends loading and unloading the magazines several times and to leave them loaded prior to going shooting for the first time to give the spring it's initial set.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts